Author Topic: IPTC info panel (like Favorites or Navigator)  (Read 3525 times)

Offline ChrisB

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
IPTC info panel (like Favorites or Navigator)
« on: September 14, 2009, 07:49:55 AM »
I want to echo the comments of others - that the scrollable IPTC Info dialog pushes some common fields out of sight at the bottom of the box.  I understand a flexible & adaptive display would be complex to implement (discussed on another post), but maybe some of the following options are less ambitious:

- A preferences dialog listing IPTC fields & check boxes allowing user to select favorite fields for display.  The IPTC Info dialog would have a button 'Display All Fields' to expand view.  Add an icon on the button to indicate if there are any hidden non-blank fields.

or

- Divide the IPTC fields into 3 sections 'Caption' 'Location' 'Contact', and place divider bars with expand/roll-up button.  State of roll-up is remembered between sessions.

&/or

- a hideable, docked side panel like Favorites or Navigator listing IPTC & EXIF info beside the contact sheet view or Preview (with expand/roll-up bars).  This eliminates the need to click on the 'i' button while reviewing thumbnails and would improve workflow.  The Preview window is already halfway there with the display of EXIF.

====
Since I've mentioned the Navigator panel, I'd like to repeat a request for single click - double click preference to open contact sheet view.  Last discussed and on the wish list as of Aug 2006.

Chris

PM 4.6.1
WinXP Pro sp3, 2GB RAM
Work mostly with JPG, but some CR2 & DNG

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: IPTC info panel (like Favorites or Navigator)
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 08:58:53 AM »
Since I've mentioned the Navigator panel, I'd like to repeat a request for single click - double click preference to open contact sheet view.  Last discussed and on the wish list as of Aug 2006.

It's in the Launching tab since version 4.5.x.  Near the bottom of the pane.

-Kirk

Offline ChrisB

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 12:28:11 PM »
I see it - thanks.  Maybe I should be requesting larger font size...  ;D

Chris

Offline Ben Curtis

• View Profile
    • Snappertalk blog
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 12:38:27 PM »
- A preferences dialog listing IPTC fields & check boxes allowing user to select favorite fields for display.  The IPTC Info dialog would have a button 'Display All Fields' to expand view.  Add an icon on the button to indicate if there are any hidden non-blank fields.

Yes please.
Currently the IPTC info screen has too many fields requiring me to scroll up and down because they won't all fit onscreen at the same time - and this wastes too much time. That's why I still have to use Classic dialogs, but unfortunately using Classic dialogs renders the Font Zoom function inoperable.

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 04:35:09 PM »
- a hideable, docked side panel like Favorites or Navigator listing IPTC & EXIF info beside the contact sheet view or Preview (with expand/roll-up bars).  This eliminates the need to click on the 'i' button while reviewing thumbnails and would improve workflow.  The Preview window is already halfway there with the display of EXIF.

Not that the original request wouldn't be a good idea I would like to point out the Info panel in the Preview window can be customized in Edit/Settings/Set Info text... You can display any info that has variables in any sort of layout you feel comfortable four your needs.

Also you can customize the info appearing under the filenames in the contact sheet. By default there is only filename, but optionally in Preferences/Contact Sheet you can display 1-3 lines of information. Here (just like as in the above) you can use more than one variables per line so you can see a lot of info from an image right under the thumbnail.

And if there would be an Info panel in the side of the contactsheet like the Navigator/Favorites it would make the question what to see in it when more than one image is selected (which may be not a rare situation)?
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com