Author Topic: IPTC Info Vanish  (Read 6379 times)

Offline Ziggy487

• View Profile
IPTC Info Vanish
« on: September 20, 2009, 06:42:52 PM »
This might be a photoshop problem, but since I do my captions with PM I thought I would ask.

When I ingest, I attach my IPTC Stationery Pad.  Then after selecting the images I want to work on.  I go to photoshop.  Never do I touch the IPTC in Photoshop.  When I get back to PM, the Location and Country code are both blank. 

See Attached files.  If you have ideas let me know.

Chris

ps weird that it is only those two fields...

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: IPTC Info Vanish
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 07:07:38 PM »
Chris,

This might be a photoshop problem, but since I do my captions with PM I thought I would ask.

When I ingest, I attach my IPTC Stationery Pad.  Then after selecting the images I want to work on.  I go to photoshop.  Never do I touch the IPTC in Photoshop.  When I get back to PM, the Location and Country code are both blank. 

See Attached files.  If you have ideas let me know.

Can you send me the image itself?  Please click on my name to the left of this message, then click on the 'personal message' link.  I will respond with upload instructions.

-Kirk

Offline Canon_Shooter

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 07:34:55 PM »
I get the same issue but my catagory field and the title field are missing info.

Im using XP with SP3,  CS3 and PM 4.5.5

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 08:29:27 PM »
I get the same issue but my catagory field and the title field are missing info.

Im using XP with SP3,  CS3 and PM 4.5.5

There is no version 4.5.5 at this time.  Are you running 4.5.4?  Or a newer version?

Chris's problem was solved by changing his Photo Mechanic settings to write out XMP data into his JPEGs, and to prefer XMP data over IPTC data.  What are your IPTC/XMP settings in the Preferences dialog in Photo Mechanic?  Please post a JPEG screenshot.

-Kirk

Offline Ziggy487

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009, 08:34:33 PM »
Sorry mistype 4.5.4

Thanks for all your help

Offline Canon_Shooter

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 01:20:14 AM »
Sorry that's 4.5.4  

As you can see the catorgery field should read as "SPORT" and not "SPO"  and the Title is also missing some of it;s text

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 04:32:52 AM by Canon_Shooter »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2009, 06:42:51 AM »
Sorry that's 4.5.4  

As you can see the catorgery field should read as "SPORT" and not "SPO"  and the Title is also missing some of it;s text

Photoshop trimmed off those fields when you rewrote the file.  Photoshop likes to enforce that the Category field is only three characters long.  I didn't know that it also trims off the Title field, but apparently it does that too.

While there is nothing I can do to help you stop Photoshop from trimming off those fields when you edit with Photoshop, I can suggest that you change your IPTC/XMP preferences for JPEGs to read XMP before IPTC, and your TIFF based RAW files to read XMP sidecar files before embedded IPTC.  Those settings will work better with various Adobe products.

-Kirk