Author Topic: Support for Sony A850 (A900)  (Read 2899 times)

Offline theim

• View Profile
Support for Sony A850 (A900)
« on: September 24, 2009, 06:22:40 AM »
Hi Kirk,

I have just started using a Sony A850 and am wondering about PM support for the RAW files this camera produces.
PM is able to open these files in a contact sheet, rename them, apply metadata, etc.  So it does appear I'm good to go.

I am wondering about the size of the previews embedded in the RAW files (perhaps this is a question for Sony).
Native resolution of the RAW files is 24MP (4000 x 6000), but the preview appears to be closer to 1080 x 1620.
Is PM displaying the full size of the embedded JPG?

Thanks,
-Tom

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Support for Sony A850 (A900)
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 06:47:58 AM »
Tom,

I have just started using a Sony A850 and am wondering about PM support for the RAW files this camera produces.
PM is able to open these files in a contact sheet, rename them, apply metadata, etc.  So it does appear I'm good to go.

I am wondering about the size of the previews embedded in the RAW files (perhaps this is a question for Sony).
Native resolution of the RAW files is 24MP (4000 x 6000), but the preview appears to be closer to 1080 x 1620.
Is PM displaying the full size of the embedded JPG?

It should be displaying the full size of the embedded JPEG when you show it at 100% in the Preview window.  To be sure of this, you could extract the JPEG preview in one of your files and then see how large that JPEG is.  The 'Extract JPEG Previews from RAW photos...' command on the Tools menu will do the extraction for you.

HTH,

-Kirk