Author Topic: Save & FTP Button  (Read 6303 times)

Offline tkorol

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Save & FTP Button
« on: September 29, 2009, 10:46:20 AM »
Hi, is there a way to have a button in the IPTC field by the "Ok" button that could be "Save & FTP". So if you would click that button, your IPTC info would be saved, and it would start instantly FTPing your photo.

Thanks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Save & FTP Button
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 12:24:56 PM »
Hi, is there a way to have a button in the IPTC field by the "Ok" button that could be "Save & FTP". So if you would click that button, your IPTC info would be saved, and it would start instantly FTPing your photo.

I suppose it could be possible.  Will we do it?  I can't promise anything.

-Kirk

Offline tkorol

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 04:21:04 PM »
Thanks for the reply. In talking with other news photographers at various newspapers and especially the wire service that are using Photo Mechanic, this feature is close to the top of what we would love to see in newer versions. When you are on deadline or sending a bunch of photos from an event, this would be a very welcome addition.

Cheers
Todd

Offline nmf

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 10:43:49 AM »
This sounds a great idea. Even just an FTP button would make things easier with then clicking the "Save ->" button taking me to the next image. As a one-man band it would allow me to be uploading the previous file as I caption the next without the need to keep flitting between the caption and upload dialogs so speeding up my delivery of images.

Would love to see it if / when possible.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 12:07:09 PM »
This sounds a great idea. Even just an FTP button would make things easier with then clicking the "Save ->" button taking me to the next image. As a one-man band it would allow me to be uploading the previous file as I caption the next without the need to keep flitting between the caption and upload dialogs so speeding up my delivery of images.

Would love to see it if / when possible.

If you already have an Upload in progress, when you return to the Contact Sheet you can skip the Upload dialog by holding down the 'Modifier' key (Shift on Windows, Option on Mac) whilst bringing up the Upload dialog.  The dialog will be skipped and the selected photos will be added to the last Upload queue.  If you only have one photo selected this is simplified by just typing the 'u' key with the 'Modifier' key held down.

Then you can get back to adding captions to your photos.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline nmf

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 02:27:52 PM »
I do that already but it still involves going back to the contact sheet.

The best workflow on deadline, or when competing with others to get images to a picture desk first, in my mind is to edit pictures in Photoshop and then upload each image upon completion of its individual caption and keywords. Going to the contact sheet and then the upload dialog and then back to the next image involves extra keystrokes and disrupts the flow of thought. Much easier and natural to caption, upload from that dialog, move to the next picture using the "Save & ->" button and repeat the process so all the final work can be done from within the one dialog.

The other option is to save each image to a hot folder which then actions the uploading of the images but that requires either no need for a caption, because somebody else does that for the photographer or, for the full caption to already be in place before saving after editing in Photoshop. Currently that also involves using extra software.

However as I wrote previously, "...if / when possible." as I appreciate some things we ask for are not so simple to actually program. I just wanted to second the original posters request for a way to make the final stage of despatching images quicker.

Offline tkorol

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 07:17:50 PM »
If you already have an Upload in progress, when you return to the Contact Sheet you can skip the Upload dialog by holding down the 'Modifier' key (Shift on Windows, Option on Mac) whilst bringing up the Upload dialog.  The dialog will be skipped and the selected photos will be added to the last Upload queue.  If you only have one photo selected this is simplified by just typing the 'u' key with the 'Modifier' key held down.

HTH,

-Kirk

Yes I do this already, but with a "Save & FTP" button you can skip this step and move right onto the next image, select the photo, hit the "E" key and you are editing the next frame. It's doesn't seem like much, but when you send 134 photos like I did from an all day event the other day, each little step eats up time.
Cheers!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 08:42:42 PM »

HTH,

-Kirk

Yes I do this already, but with a "Save & FTP" button you can skip this step and move right onto the next image, select the photo, hit the "E" key and you are editing the next frame. It's doesn't seem like much, but when you send 134 photos like I did from an all day event the other day, each little step eats up time.

Oh, I understand completely.  I'm just trying to help where I can since I cannot implement your requested feature immediately.  Many people don't know about the 'Modifier' key and what it can do.

-Kirk

Offline tkorol

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2009, 06:59:29 PM »
Love the 'Modifier' key, that one of the reasons Photomechanic is so good! Thanks for considering the request.

Cheers

Todd