Author Topic: Folder sizes in Favourites & Navigator  (Read 5717 times)

Offline AnthonyAdachi

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Folder sizes in Favourites & Navigator
« on: October 03, 2009, 05:16:41 PM »
Hello,

I'm using Peter Krogh's Bucket System as outlined in his DAM book where images are placed into sequential folders ("buckets") sized to whatever optical media one is using.

It would be useful to have an option to see the folder sizes in the Favourites & Navigator panels to help know when those "buckets" are full.

Thanks,

-Anthony

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Folder sizes in Favourites & Navigator
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 06:37:52 PM »
Anthony,

I'm using Peter Krogh's Bucket System as outlined in his DAM book where images are placed into sequential folders ("buckets") sized to whatever optical media one is using.

It would be useful to have an option to see the folder sizes in the Favourites & Navigator panels to help know when those "buckets" are full.

OK, but did you know that PM's Burn Photos to Disc feature can automatically span a selection of images over several discs for you?  Buckets are completely unnecessary.

-Kirk

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 06:35:07 AM »
Yes, the Burn feature spans different discs flawlessly. Anyway, I find the recommendation to archive photos according to backup media size completely rubbish, especially from one so-called "DAM expert". Backup media are evolving all the time, and you need to copy from old to  new media anyway every few years. Also, if you backup to optical media AND hdd, I wouldn't want such a mess on the HDD as a project folder divided into DVD1 DVD2 DVD3 ... DVD 8 folders...

Archive according to project, or date shot, whatever. That way, even if you want to backup to small optical media, you can simply mark them "2009-05-08 John Smith wedding, disc 1/3" or whatever. That makes much more sense to me.

And if you don't want to burn directly from Photomechanic, there are other software solutions that can take a folder and burn it spanning several discs.

Offline AnthonyAdachi

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 01:24:48 PM »
OK, but did you know that PM's Burn Photos to Disc feature can automatically span a selection of images over several discs for you?  Buckets are completely unnecessary.

-Kirk

Hello Kirk,

It's not about media spanning, per say.

A key part of the concept is to section and organize the directory structure on one's archive hard drive(s) in order to aid recovery from backups in the event of data loss.

Buckets are building blocks, in a sense. Based around the smallest sized "bucket" one uses for one's backup media. Chronologically ordered, sequential, divisions so one can easily see if something is missing if and when one needs to restore from backups.

Thanks,

-Anthony

Offline AnthonyAdachi

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 01:37:02 PM »
Anyway, I find the recommendation to archive photos according to backup media size completely rubbish, especially from one so-called "DAM expert".

It's not rubbish if one understands the concept properly.

Backup media are evolving all the time, and you need to copy from old to  new media anyway every few years. Also, if you backup to optical media AND hdd, I wouldn't want such a mess on the HDD as a project folder divided into DVD1 DVD2 DVD3 ... DVD 8 folders...

Have you read Peter Krogh's book?

And if you don't want to burn directly from Photomechanic, there are other software solutions that can take a folder and burn it spanning several discs.

It's not really about burning from PhotoMechanic or spanning discs.

Aside from suggesting to refer to The DAM book, a few links to discussions which might help shed a little light in coming to understand the matter...

"...The sequential nature of buckets makes them a logical system that is orderly and easily restorable...."
http://thedambook.com/smf/index.php?topic=1230.msg6896#msg6896

"...The catalog software will keep track of which buckets contain which images....

...One of the major points of Peter's system is to make it as easy as possible to restore your files if something should happen to some of the originals or copies.  Consecutive numbering of buckets makes it easy to spot missing bucket..."
http://thedambook.com/smf/index.php?topic=2879.msg16179#msg16179

"...simple and direct correlation of the primary archive to the backup copies...."
http://thedambook.com/smf/index.php?topic=1845.msg10644#msg10644

Take care,

-Anthony