Author Topic: adding keywords to multiple images  (Read 3561 times)

Offline SAMouzon

• View Profile
    • The Original Green Blog
adding keywords to multiple images
« on: October 06, 2009, 04:10:04 PM »
I'm running Photo Mechanic 4.6.1 on a MacBook Pro (Intel) running Mac OS 10.6.1.

I'd like to be able to click on multiple images that have non-identical keyword sets and be able to add additional keywords to them in one operation. For example, maybe 7 of the images have these keywords:

North America, USA, Massachusetts, Boston, building, part, attachments & sitework, sign

and 5 more of the images have these keywords:

North America, USA, South Carolina, Charleston, building, part, attachments & sitework, sign

Let's say that these images are of blade signs, so I want to add the "blade" keyword to all of them so that they look like this:

North America, USA, Massachusetts, Boston, building, part, attachments & sitework, sign, blade
North America, USA, South Carolina, Charleston, building, part, attachments & sitework, sign, blade

I'd like to add "blade" to all 12 files in one operation, not two. Is there a way to do this already, or is this a Feature Request?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: adding keywords to multiple images
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 04:46:15 PM »
I'm running Photo Mechanic 4.6.1 on a MacBook Pro (Intel) running Mac OS 10.6.1.

I'd like to be able to click on multiple images that have non-identical keyword sets and be able to add additional keywords to them in one operation. For example, maybe 7 of the images have these keywords:

North America, USA, Massachusetts, Boston, building, part, attachments & sitework, sign

and 5 more of the images have these keywords:

North America, USA, South Carolina, Charleston, building, part, attachments & sitework, sign

Let's say that these images are of blade signs, so I want to add the "blade" keyword to all of them so that they look like this:

North America, USA, Massachusetts, Boston, building, part, attachments & sitework, sign, blade
North America, USA, South Carolina, Charleston, building, part, attachments & sitework, sign, blade

I'd like to add "blade" to all 12 files in one operation, not two. Is there a way to do this already, or is this a Feature Request?

Select the 12 files.  Open the Keywords panel from the Image menu.  In the text field at the bottom, type 'blade' (without the quotes.)  Then make sure the popup menu below the text field says 'When applying, append keywords'.  Then click on the 'Apply to selected photos' button.

That should do it.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
Re: adding keywords to multiple images
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 05:03:24 PM »
I'd like to be able to click on multiple images that have non-identical keyword sets and be able to add additional keywords to them in one operation.

It also works with the IPTC Stationery Panel (select images and press CTRL/CMD+I) if you enter the keywords into the keywords field and check both checkmarks to the left of it (the leftmost to add the keyword to the selected images and the other with the + sign to append instead of replacing the current keywords.

I did not know the Keyword panel Kirk described but I absolutely sure will use it. It is a great (some times even better) solution for keywording. I am happy to ever learn something new and useful about PM!
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com