Author Topic: Avoid accessing the CD drive  (Read 2641 times)

Rolf

Avoid accessing the CD drive
« on: October 13, 2009, 02:27:15 PM »
Every time I start Photo Mechanic (version 4.6.1) on my Mac (happened on 10.5, and still happens on 10.6 as well after the upgrade), the CD drive makes the same noise it does when I eject a disc.

While this is no real problem, I would still prefer if Photo Mechanic could avoid making that irritating sound, especially as long as I don't use any features that need the drive (burning photos to a CD/DVD), so I'd like to suggest that as a new 'feature'.

- Rolf

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Avoid accessing the CD drive
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 02:40:40 PM »
Every time I start Photo Mechanic (version 4.6.1) on my Mac (happened on 10.5, and still happens on 10.6 as well after the upgrade), the CD drive makes the same noise it does when I eject a disc.

While this is no real problem, I would still prefer if Photo Mechanic could avoid making that irritating sound, especially as long as I don't use any features that need the drive (burning photos to a CD/DVD), so I'd like to suggest that as a new 'feature'.

In order for Photo Mechanic to check to see if it can enable any disc burning features at all it must query the Apple-provided interface.  Querying that interface is what causes the noise you hear.

-Kirk