Author Topic: "Sort by" remembered on a per folder basis  (Read 4103 times)

Offline Kevin M. Cox

• PM 6 (7102) | macOS 14.4.1
    • View Profile
    • Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
"Sort by" remembered on a per folder basis
« on: October 16, 2009, 09:51:19 PM »
Hey Kirk,

I've always wondered if it would be possible to add a feature that remembers the Sort option (Capture Time, Filename) for specific folders, possibly via a hidden (or not) file saved within that folder.

For example, a user would set a default sort method in the preferences as they do now. However, when viewing a folder, if the user changes the sort mode PM could somehow remember that setting for that specific folder and would always sort that specific folder that way even after the program is quit and re-opened.

Does that make sense?  Any thoughts?

Along these lines I've also been meaning to mention a change I noticed when it comes to Filename sorting, I think between the 4.5 and 4.6 versions. In older versions, files that started with an underscore, such as Adobe RGB photos, would sort to the bottom of the list. In the current version they sort to the top. Any reason for the change, I liked it the old way better.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 10:11:28 PM by Kevin M. Cox »
Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
https://www.instagram.com/kevin.m.cox/

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: "Sort by" remembered on a per folder basis
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 10:45:51 PM »
Kevin,

I've always wondered if it would be possible to add a feature that remembers the Sort option (Capture Time, Filename) for specific folders, possibly via a hidden (or not) file saved within that folder.

For example, a user would set a default sort method in the preferences as they do now. However, when viewing a folder, if the user changes the sort mode PM could somehow remember that setting for that specific folder and would always sort that specific folder that way even after the program is quit and re-opened.

Does that make sense?  Any thoughts?

Yes, but I can see issues where it wouldn't always work.  For instance if you used a custom sort for one folder, and then opened different folder and overwrote that custom sort that was used by the last folder then when you resumed the first folder, the sort would be different.  Also, if you open multiple folders in a single contact sheet tab, where is the 'state' file stored?

It sounds like a good feature but it may be problematic to implement.

Quote from: Kevin M. Cox
Along these lines I've also been meaning to mention a change I noticed when it comes to Filename sorting, I think between the 4.5 and 4.6 versions. In older versions, files that started with an underscore, such as Adobe RGB photos, would sort to the bottom of the list. In the current version they sort to the top. Any reason for the change, I liked it the old way better.

We changed the filename sort to be numerically sensitive by calling the OS string compare routines instead of our own more naive routines.  So I guess it's better for filenames with numbers in it but handles filenames starting with underscores a bit differently.

BTW, I've always thought that standard of indicating Adobe RGB via an underscore as the first character to be really dumb.  Much smarter to just tag the image with an Adobe RGB profile.  But hey, we don't make the rules.

-Kirk

Offline Kevin M. Cox

• PM 6 (7102) | macOS 14.4.1
    • View Profile
    • Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
Re: "Sort by" remembered on a per folder basis
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 08:33:58 PM »
Kirk, thanks for your quick response.

My thinking is that individual "state" files would be stored in each folder that needed it. (If the sort method was never changed the file would never be created.) This way if the folder was copied or moved to a different computer, or if it was located on a server and accessed by a different user (or an on external drive and browsed on a different computer), the last selected sort option would be maintained.

I can see where this might annoy some users that an extra file is being created alongside their photos which is why I wondered if the "state" file could be a "." file and hidden from view. Am I explaining that right?

EDIT:  I guess I should also explain my reasoning for the request.  When initially editing a shoot I sort by Capture Time so that images from multiple cameras all sort in the correct order.  Later in our editing process, before being archived, files get renamed using the sequence variable. At that point sorting by Capture Time or Filename result in the same order being displayed.

As you know, the contact sheet loads much faster in Filename sort, especially when accessing old assignments that are stored on the server or DVD and haven't been browsed recently enough to be in cache.  If there was a file in the folder that told PM to sort that folder by Filename right away it would definitely speed things up, especially when I'm having to open 10 or 15 folders looking for a file photo that is just perfect for a story.  It would also be great when going back and opening an old wedding folder with 1,500+ images to fulfill a quick print order.

Even if I switch the Sort By manually after PM starts to load the contact sheet it still takes 10 or so seconds to register the clicks and stop scanning for capture times. Currently I'm forced to go into the preferences and switch the default method then make sure I remember to switch it back before I'm editing my next assignment on deadline.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 08:44:08 PM by Kevin M. Cox »
Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
https://www.instagram.com/kevin.m.cox/