Author Topic: Strange behavior in Beta 4.6.2  (Read 10034 times)

Offline Rguzmanphoto

• View Profile
Strange behavior in Beta 4.6.2
« on: October 18, 2009, 08:14:46 AM »
This happened last night while editing some football, I did my selects, I opened in camera raw, did my crops and corrections, save to a folder. I then run it through CS4 action I created save to a folder. When I open that folder in PM I get cropped images in contact sheet and I have to go through all of them and remove crop. If I close the contact sheet and reopen it does it again. This does not do it in 4.6.1. Using a Macbook Pro 2.16 Snow Leopard 10.6.1

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Strange behavior in Beta 4.6.2
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 08:28:26 AM »
This happened last night while editing some football, I did my selects, I opened in camera raw, did my crops and corrections, save to a folder. I then run it through CS4 action I created save to a folder. When I open that folder in PM I get cropped images in contact sheet and I have to go through all of them and remove crop. If I close the contact sheet and reopen it does it again. This does not do it in 4.6.1. Using a Macbook Pro 2.16 Snow Leopard 10.6.1

Thanks.  We'll look into it.

-Kirk

Offline nharnik

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 08:12:26 AM »

OS X 10.5.8
PM 4.6.2 beta2

Hi Kirk,

I can replicate the cropmark problem as well, using Lightroom.
the steps are:

After ingesting a disk of raw images (CR2 files)
Copy an image to a new folder (Desktop folder in my case), but only the CR2 file, not the XMP file.
Import the copied image (in the Desktop folder) into Lightroom, crop, tone, rename the image.
Export the renamed image as JPG to the Desktop folder.
Open the Desktop folder in Photo Mechanic, there is the original CR2 file with cropmarks, and the correctly cropped JPG image.

Screen grab attached.

Hope this helps,
Nati

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 08:52:22 AM »
Nati,

OS X 10.5.8
PM 4.6.2 beta2

Hi Kirk,

I can replicate the cropmark problem as well, using Lightroom.
the steps are:

After ingesting a disk of raw images (CR2 files)
Copy an image to a new folder (Desktop folder in my case), but only the CR2 file, not the XMP file.
Import the copied image (in the Desktop folder) into Lightroom, crop, tone, rename the image.
Export the renamed image as JPG to the Desktop folder.
Open the Desktop folder in Photo Mechanic, there is the original CR2 file with cropmarks, and the correctly cropped JPG image.

I don't understand what the problem is.  The images you posted seem fine to me.  The CR2 image shows a reasonable crop and the JPEG image shows the result of that crop being applied.  Where is the problem?

-Kirk

Offline nharnik

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 10:59:14 AM »
Kirk,

I understood the previous poster was complaining that the crop marks appear at all.
but perhaps I got it wrong.

I myself was surprised to see crop marks show up on the CR2 file, given the fact that the crop was done in another application (lightroom), and that I have configured Photo Mechanic NOT to show crop marks.
N

Offline Rguzmanphoto

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 12:06:21 PM »
Kirk,

I understood the previous poster was complaining that the crop marks appear at all.
but perhaps I got it wrong.

I myself was surprised to see crop marks show up on the CR2 file, given the fact that the crop was done in another application (lightroom), and that I have configured Photo Mechanic NOT to show crop marks.
N

The problem I was having was crop marks were showing in the wrong place and in wrong sizes, beta 4.6.2 has solved this problem 

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2009, 01:31:41 PM »
Nati,

Photo Mechanic has no preference for turning off the display of crops in the Contact Sheet.

-Kirk

Offline nharnik

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2009, 02:56:07 PM »
Kirk,

In the past I would never get the crop markings show up in Photo Mechanic after a crop/edit in Lightroom.
I would prefer not to see those crop marks in the PM contact sheets

Today, for example, after editing and cropping 4 images in Lightroom, 3 images do not show crop marks when I view the take in Photo Mechanic's contact sheet or preview window, and the fourth image does show crop marks. All 4 images went through the exact same process. I do not know why there is a difference in outcome.

Guess I'll repair permissions, consult a spiritual healer, and look at it again tomorrow.
N

(and when I  said "crop preferences", I referred to the crop tool button in the preview window)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2009, 03:08:13 PM »
Nati,

In the past I would never get the crop markings show up in Photo Mechanic after a crop/edit in Lightroom.
I would prefer not to see those crop marks in the PM contact sheets

Today, for example, after editing and cropping 4 images in Lightroom, 3 images do not show crop marks when I view the take in Photo Mechanic's contact sheet or preview window, and the fourth image does show crop marks. All 4 images went through the exact same process. I do not know why there is a difference in outcome.

Guess I'll repair permissions, consult a spiritual healer, and look at it again tomorrow.
N

(and when I  said "crop preferences", I referred to the crop tool button in the preview window)

I would say that three of the four images edited in LR did not get their XMP data updated.

As for why we're showing LR's crops and LR is showing our crops, this is because we now save crop information in XMP, in the same format as Adobe uses.  In order to enable the new setting in the Files tab that disallows PM to modify RAW files, we need to store our soft-edits somewhere and XMP is the only logical choice.  Rather than create yet another incompatible chunk of data in XMP, we went with Adobe's 'standard' for writing crops into XMP data.

-Kirk

Offline nharnik

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2009, 07:17:08 PM »

Kirk,

Thanks for the explanation. Now I finally understand that LR and PM share XMP data by design.  And all this time I was thinking that the sharing of crop marks was a bug…
and yes, using the Adobe XMP standard is very logical.

Your comment, that some of the images edited in LR did not get their XMP data updated, sent me looking at the Lightroom catalog settings, Metadata tab, and after unchecking the “Automatically write changes into XMP”, there are no more LR crop marks showing in PM, which is what I was looking to achieve.

Best,
Nati

Offline bobby

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2010, 01:18:56 PM »
Hi Kirk,

After some time, I was able to find this thread addressing my concern.  It appears that the latest update to PM started to display cropping information which was written into an XMP file through another program (Lightroom, in my case).

I would like to request the option to disable any alterations applied through the XMP files.  I believe this is how PM behaved until the recent update, and I'd like the ability to simply be able to view the RAW files... without the crop markings or any other date written in the XMP files.

Thank you for consideration.

Mike

Offline charlesteton

• View Profile
    • www.charlesteton.com
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2010, 03:08:02 AM »
>> I would like to request the option to disable any alterations applied through the XMP files.  I believe this is how PM behaved until the recent update, and I'd like the ability to simply be able to view the RAW files... without the crop markings or any other date written in the XMP files. >>

I second this option.