Author Topic: Keyword separator in 4.6.2b1  (Read 2869 times)

Offline Rick Baumhauer

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Keyword separator in 4.6.2b1
« on: October 19, 2009, 08:35:48 AM »
Kirk - just downloaded 4.6.2b1 for Mac, and went to import a batch of photos from yesterday.  When I went to the IPTC Stationery Pad, something looked odd, and I realized that my keyword heirarchies were much more readable than I'd become used to, due to leading and trailing spaces in the heirarchy.  Much as I like the readability, experience has taught me that this will cause problems when I import into Lightroom - see the conversation we had about this here:  http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=4462.0

I hunted all over the place in 4.6.2b1 trying to find the separator character so that I could eliminate the spaces, only to discover that the character definition space is gone from the Structured Keywords panel - there's just a checkbox to determine if a separator character should be used.

Has something changed that will eliminate the issue I was experiencing between PM and Lightroom, or was this an oversight?

Best regards,

Rick Baumhauer
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 08:51:33 AM by Rick Baumhauer »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Keyword separator in 4.6.2b1
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 10:27:16 AM »
Rick,

Kirk - just downloaded 4.6.2b1 for Mac, and went to import a batch of photos from yesterday.  When I went to the IPTC Stationery Pad, something looked odd, and I realized that my keyword heirarchies were much more readable than I'd become used to, due to leading and trailing spaces in the heirarchy.  Much as I like the readability, experience has taught me that this will cause problems when I import into Lightroom - see the conversation we had about this here:  http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=4462.0

I hunted all over the place in 4.6.2b1 trying to find the separator character so that I could eliminate the spaces, only to discover that the character definition space is gone from the Structured Keywords panel - there's just a checkbox to determine if a separator character should be used.

Has something changed that will eliminate the issue I was experiencing between PM and Lightroom, or was this an oversight?

Yes, the problem has been addressed.  We have decided to standardize on what Lightroom uses and remove options that would make compatibility difficult.

-Kirk

Offline Rick Baumhauer

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 09:18:09 PM »
Kirk - but it  appears that you've standardized on leading and trailing spaces in the keyword heirarchy, and that is exactly what has caused problems for me in the past, as Lightroom doesn't strip out the spaces (or didn't when I opened the previous topic - has this changed in newer versions of LR?).

Rick

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 10:49:14 PM »
Rick,

Kirk - but it  appears that you've standardized on leading and trailing spaces in the keyword heirarchy, and that is exactly what has caused problems for me in the past, as Lightroom doesn't strip out the spaces (or didn't when I opened the previous topic - has this changed in newer versions of LR?).

That's just done to make keywords more readable.  When they're parsed and written back out to the metadata (XMP) the spaces are removed.  I have tested all of this round trip from PM to LR and back to PM again.  All is well.

Have you tried the beta and then tried LR with XMP written by PM?

-Kirk

Offline Rick Baumhauer

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 09:55:33 PM »
Ah, okay - all is well.

I didn't try an import because of the world of hurt I went through earlier this year :)  If the spaces aren't written to XMP, I'll start testing the beta immediately.

Thanks for solving the issue in a customer-friendly way - it's nice to be able to read the keywords again.