Author Topic: Multi-User over Remote Desktop  (Read 6286 times)

Offline wet

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Multi-User over Remote Desktop
« on: October 24, 2009, 03:09:48 PM »
Hello,

I tried to use PM 4.6.1 (bought license) over a remote connection on an remote computer while PM was used on the main computer.
I got the message that the version i own does not support multi-user on one instance - I should contact you.
I haven´t found somthing in the purchase section.
Can you help me how to do it or what I have to buy in addition?

Thanks
Tobias 

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Multi-User over Remote Desktop
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2009, 03:25:40 PM »
Tobias,

I tried to use PM 4.6.1 (bought license) over a remote connection on an remote computer while PM was used on the main computer.
I got the message that the version i own does not support multi-user on one instance - I should contact you.
I haven´t found somthing in the purchase section.
Can you help me how to do it or what I have to buy in addition?

I am aware of no such limitation.  Can you please post a screenshot of the error message as a JPEG?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline wet

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2009, 04:37:58 PM »
Hello Kirk,

this is the message i get (see attachment)
Maybe my first explanation was wrong or missunderstood....
PM is running on Computer A and I connect to Computer A by Remote Connection with my Laptop B with second username/account (concurrent session) on Computer A.
So I tried to start PM twice on computer A with user1 and user2 and the I get this message.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 04:44:49 PM by wet »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2009, 06:28:55 PM »
this is the message i get (see attachment)
Maybe my first explanation was wrong or missunderstood....
PM is running on Computer A and I connect to Computer A by Remote Connection with my Laptop B with second username/account (concurrent session) on Computer A.
So I tried to start PM twice on computer A with user1 and user2 and the I get this message.

I see.  Thanks for the screenshot.

We created a special features in PM for one company that wanted to run it under Terminal Services (Remote Connections) so it checks for a license file that lets PM know how many copies the server is allowed to run.

You'll have to quit the instance that is running on Computer A since you don't have a multi-user license.

-Kirk

Offline wet

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 02:43:20 PM »
Thanks - but would be a nice feature.....

Tobias

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 05:44:23 PM »
Tobias,

Thanks - but would be a nice feature.....

What would be a nice feature?  If you want to run two copies of PM on a single machine then you're going to have to pay for two licenses.  That's just a part of our license agreement.

-Kirk

Offline AnthonyAdachi

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Multi-User's viewing & adjusting images while tethered?
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 04:59:49 AM »
Hello Kirk,

Incidentally, I don't know if this question is related but does Photo Mechanic support users on two or more Macs, each with Photo Mechanic installed, to view the same folder of images (with their own preview display arrangement) and make adjustments while shooting tethered?

e.g.- One Mac for the photographer to view the latest image as it comes up and assign a star ratting or label, if desired. Another, for an art director to browse the images captured so far and make selects (i.e.- assign star ratings and/or labels) or for the end client to enter keywords or captions for the proper product codes, SKU's, or subjects' names, ect. As well, maybe another, for a digital tech to check focus or exposure on relevant images or for a makeup artist to zoom in and take a close look at the make-up on a face.

Thanks,

-Anthony
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 05:11:25 AM by AnthonyAdachi »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Multi-User's viewing & adjusting images while tethered?
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009, 06:34:59 AM »
Anthony,

Incidentally, I don't know if this question is related but does Photo Mechanic support users on two or more Macs, each with Photo Mechanic installed, to view the same folder of images (with their own preview display arrangement) and make adjustments while shooting tethered?

e.g.- One Mac for the photographer to view the latest image as it comes up and assign a star rating or label, if desired. Another, for an art director to browse the images captured so far and make selects (i.e.- assign star ratings and/or labels) or for the end client to enter keywords or captions for the proper product codes, SKU's, or subjects' names, ect. As well, maybe another, for a digital tech to check focus or exposure on relevant images or for a makeup artist to zoom in and take a close look at the make-up on a face.

No, definitely not.  Since both users could be writing to the same files at the same time, data corruption could occur.

-Kirk

Offline AnthonyAdachi

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009, 07:01:12 AM »
Hi Kirk,

Do you have plans to support this in the future? I imagine that such a feature would require database like sanity checks?

If not, is it possible to put this in as a feature request?

Thanks,

-Anthony

Anthony,

e.g.- One Mac for the photographer to view the latest image as it comes up and assign a star rating or label, if desired. Another, for an art director to browse the images captured so far and make selects (i.e.- assign star ratings and/or labels) or for the end client to enter keywords or captions for the proper product codes, SKU's, or subjects' names, ect. As well, maybe another, for a digital tech to check focus or exposure on relevant images or for a makeup artist to zoom in and take a close look at the make-up on a face.

No, definitely not.  Since both users could be writing to the same files at the same time, data corruption could occur.

-Kirk

« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 07:08:10 AM by AnthonyAdachi »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2009, 09:52:41 AM »
Anthony,

Do you have plans to support this in the future? I imagine that such a feature would require database like sanity checks?

If not, is it possible to put this in as a feature request?

What it requires is that the two or more instances of Photo Mechanic arbitrate file locking and exclusive access.  Not all OSes offer such features.

-Kirk