Author Topic: Copy (Y) loses "focus" under Windows 7  (Read 14050 times)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Copy (Y) loses "focus" under Windows 7
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2009, 07:08:51 AM »
Yes it works if I disable the auto dialogue mouse option, but I need the feature for other apps. I fear it is a PM problem as other apps under W7 don't have this problem.

What specifically does this feature do and why is it important?

-Kirk

Offline jonmcg

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2009, 08:09:13 AM »
The feature means when a dialog opens the mouse is automatically put on the "default" button.
For manipulating emails (I have to deal with several hundred a day) this makes life much easier.
It is a feature that a lot of applications have (ie they set a default button) that make them easier and faster to use.

Offline Jerry H

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2009, 02:14:58 PM »
Running 4.6.1. When I use Y to copy an image I can just hit enter to do the copy. The second time (and all other times) it just makes a noise and I have to use the mouse to click the OK button. If I switch to a different program and then back to PM the copy command works once and then fails.
I have the latest drivers for my NVidia Geforce 9600GT.
Any ideas?
Running PM 4.6.1 on my laptop and the copy works correctly (which is why I suspect the display driver).

I was unable to recreate this issue on my machine, even after enabling the pointer option to "Automatically move pointer to the default button in a dialog box". Unless we can recreate the problem on our end, I'm not sure there is anything we can do to fix the issue.

If you don't need to make any changes to the Copy Options dialog, then I recommend that you use control-shift-y to copy photos and bypass the dialog altogether.

Regards,
Jerry

Offline jonmcg

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2009, 12:32:20 AM »
Thanks. I am bemused by why it fails for me on two PCs but not for you. Wonder if anyone else has seen this problem?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2009, 12:54:44 AM »
Thanks. I am bemused by why it fails for me on two PCs but not for you. Wonder if anyone else has seen this problem?

Could it be that you're using a brand new OS and that it might have some bugs?

It sounds like you're wanting to execute the Copy command as quickly as possible and aren't changing any settings before you start the copy, correct?  If so, then Jerry's suggestion will save you even more time since holding down the Shift key while issuing the Copy command will skip the dialog and just use the last settings, saving the time of initializing the dialog.  The copy operation will begin immediately.  Many other parts of Photo Mechanic offer the same short-cutting of the UI and allows the particular operation to commence immediately.

I'm sorry we couldn't reproduce this problem, but we're not going to hold the final 4.6.2 release for this issue alone.  I hope you understand.

-Kirk

Offline jonmcg

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2009, 12:58:20 AM »
Kirk,
You have given me a workround so again thanks. Do you have Windows 7 on a machine?

Offline jonmcg

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2009, 01:44:20 AM »
It is linked to Aero transparency.
If I disable transparency then it works.
If I re-enable transparency it still works.
If I reboot PC it fails until I disable transparency.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2009, 06:50:05 AM »
Kirk,
You have given me a workround so again thanks. Do you have Windows 7 on a machine?

Yes, we do.  64 and 32 bit versions.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2009, 06:51:33 AM »
It is linked to Aero transparency.
If I disable transparency then it works.
If I re-enable transparency it still works.
If I reboot PC it fails until I disable transparency.

Sounds like bugs in the OS to me then and you have a workaround.  Each time you reboot your system, disable Aero transparency and then enable it again.

-Kirk

Offline jonmcg

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2009, 06:56:47 AM »
It is even more bizarre. I have just (1 minute ago) discovered one PC keeps working after a reboot with both default mouse dialogue and transparency enabled. But as you say the answer is to learn to use PM with two hands. I will point out Photoshop doesn't have this problem with dialogue boxes which I use a lot with batch processing.