Author Topic: 4.6.2 beta problem with Default Folder  (Read 9208 times)

Offline Phot_One

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
4.6.2 beta problem with Default Folder
« on: October 27, 2009, 05:54:26 AM »
Noticed that the 4.6.2 beta has a problem with Default Folder that isn't an issue with 4.6.1. I'm running Mac 10.5.8.

Default Folder allows you to select folders that are out of sight. All you have to do is hover around the desktop when open folders are covered by other panes and programs and it will select it for the program you are using for saving to etc... When running PM 4.6.2 beta it doesn't do what it's supposed to.

Also I'll be using the beta probably on Saturday 31st Oct at football. When does it expire? At midnight? Not a problem I'll simply switch over to 4.6.1.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: 4.6.2 beta problem with Default Folder
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 06:40:42 AM »
Noticed that the 4.6.2 beta has a problem with Default Folder that isn't an issue with 4.6.1. I'm running Mac 10.5.8.

Default Folder allows you to select folders that are out of sight. All you have to do is hover around the desktop when open folders are covered by other panes and programs and it will select it for the program you are using for saving to etc... When running PM 4.6.2 beta it doesn't do what it's supposed to.

This likely comes from the fact that PM 4.6.2 on Mac OS X runs the file/folder open/save dialogs in a separate process by default.  You can turn this feature off in the Accessibility tab of the Photo Mechanic Preferences dialog, but it is not recommended since running those Apple-supplied dialogs in a separate process really improves the stability of Photo Mechanic.  The problem is worst on Snow Leopard (10.6.x) but since you're running 10.5.8 you may have good results by disabling this feature.

Quote from: Phot_One
Also I'll be using the beta probably on Saturday 31st Oct at football. When does it expire? At midnight? Not a problem I'll simply switch over to 4.6.1.

On Nov 1st you won't be able to launch it again.  Not to worry, we'll have a new beta by then.  Check the Announcements section of the forums.

-Kirk

Offline Phot_One

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 04:59:33 PM »
What's the answer then, other than disabling the feature? As Default Folder is fully integral with my whole day to day workflow of using everything. Not just PM. I will be upgrading to Snow Leopard sometime soon.

When editing football I have each folder for each client open around the desktop. I save images to each client as I'm editing in PM, simply hovering over the relevant folder underneath PM and Photoshop. To work any other way would slow down the whole process. That to me is crazy. Why change it now?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 07:29:19 PM »
What's the answer then, other than disabling the feature? As Default Folder is fully integral with my whole day to day workflow of using everything. Not just PM. I will be upgrading to Snow Leopard sometime soon.

You'll have to disable the feature as I indicated.  When you upgrade to Snow Leopard you'll have to re-enable the feature unless you want PM to crash frequently.

Quote from: Phot_One
When editing football I have each folder for each client open around the desktop. I save images to each client as I'm editing in PM, simply hovering over the relevant folder underneath PM and Photoshop. To work any other way would slow down the whole process. That to me is crazy. Why change it now?

Perhaps you could ask the Default Folder developer to look into why their product doesn't work when Apple's Navigation Services dialogs are run from a 'faceless background process'.  Maybe they can address the problem on their end.

-Kirk

Offline Phot_One

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 05:46:23 PM »
I have e-mailed your question to St. Clair Software. We'll await their response!

It's probably been mentioned before but this forum doesn't function on Safari, you can read everything, but I have to use Firefox to send any messages.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 06:32:17 PM »
I have e-mailed your question to St. Clair Software. We'll await their response!

It's probably been mentioned before but this forum doesn't function on Safari, you can read everything, but I have to use Firefox to send any messages.

I have so many issues with Safari that I run Firefox as well, all the time.

-Kirk

Offline Phot_One

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2009, 04:31:00 AM »
St. Clair Software have been in touch already. He downloaded 4.6.1 and said it works okay. I pointed him to the forum to get the 4.6.2 beta. So they're on the case.

Offline stclairsoft

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2009, 04:37:31 AM »
The link to 4.6.2b1 for Mac OS X in the Announcements forum isn't working.  Where can I get a copy so I can debug the Default Folder X problem? 

Thanks!

- Jon from St. Clair Software

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2009, 06:42:26 AM »
The link to 4.6.2b1 for Mac OS X in the Announcements forum isn't working.  Where can I get a copy so I can debug the Default Folder X problem? 

Thanks!

- Jon from St. Clair Software

It looks like it has been pulled.  We're going to release a newer beta today.  I'll post here again when it's ready.

Sorry for the inconvenience,

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2009, 02:01:23 PM »
Jon,

Here is the new Announcement:

http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=4817.0

Please let me know if you need a license to do your testing.  I'd be happy to provide one for you.

-Kirk

Offline Phot_One

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2009, 05:17:27 AM »
I've tried the new beta and it now works fine. So you've solved the problem at your end, rather than Default Folder's end? I haven't updated to Snow Leopard just yet. Does it test out okay?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2009, 06:49:29 AM »
I've tried the new beta and it now works fine. So you've solved the problem at your end, rather than Default Folder's end? I haven't updated to Snow Leopard just yet. Does it test out okay?

Are you sure you have the "Run Navigation Services dialogs in a separate process" turned on in the Accessibility tab of the Photo Mechanic Preferences dialog?

The only change I made to that functionality in that part of Photo Mechanic is to enable Cut, Copy, and Paste via the standard Cmd-X, Cmd-C, and Cmd-V keys.  If that was enough to fix the issue you were experiencing with Default Folder then that's great news.

-Kirk

Offline Phot_One

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2009, 07:36:02 AM »

Are you sure you have the "Run Navigation Services dialogs in a separate process" turned on in the Accessibility tab of the Photo Mechanic Preferences dialog?
[/quote]

I've never altered the checkbox. Just checked it and it's checked. I always edit with PS so I don't actually save a JPEG directly from PM and everything that worked before the problem now works again. But should I save from PM, the Default Folder functionality of selecting destination of an open folder underneath doesn't allow me to. So there is a problem there.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2009, 08:01:34 AM »

Quote from: kbaker

I've never altered the checkbox. Just checked it and it's checked. I always edit with PS so I don't actually save a JPEG directly from PM and everything that worked before the problem now works again. But should I save from PM, the Default Folder functionality of selecting destination of an open folder underneath doesn't allow me to. So there is a problem there.

I'm a bit confused here.  How was it that PM could interfere with Photoshop?  And as far as saving or loading from PM, I would expect that the Default Folder issue would still be present, and would be surprised if my simple changes to enhance copy/paste would have made any difference.

Hopefully Jon at St. Clair Software can find a workaround and I am completely willing to do anything to help him in this endeavor.

-Kirk

Offline Phot_One

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2009, 10:07:11 AM »
I'm a bit confused here.  How was it that PM could interfere with Photoshop?  And as far as saving or loading from PM, I would expect that the Default Folder issue would still be present, and would be surprised if my simple changes to enhance copy/paste would have made any difference.

Hopefully Jon at St. Clair Software can find a workaround and I am completely willing to do anything to help him in this endeavor.

So am I. All I know is, when I first tested the original beta, Using my normal workflow (my workflow at football is to make an IPTC stationary pad of the game which is applied to all at ingest, then select individual images and add the relevant caption to that, hit the edit button in PM - which is set to edit in PSCS3 - sharpen and save as JPEG, DF then normally allows me to select the folder to save to underneath) it wouldn't display the DF selection methods. It now does using the new beta, but not when saving direct from PM.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 10:24:23 AM by Kirk Baker »