Author Topic: time sync cameras  (Read 9230 times)

Offline MattV151

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
time sync cameras
« on: October 29, 2009, 10:25:11 AM »
Is there a way to use photo mechanic to time sync my cameras.  I used to have a program that allowed me to hook up my cameras to the computer and sync them to the computers clock.  Its an old program and not sure if it will work on the new mac OS.  Anyone know?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: time sync cameras
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 10:29:06 AM »
Is there a way to use photo mechanic to time sync my cameras.  I used to have a program that allowed me to hook up my cameras to the computer and sync them to the computers clock.  Its an old program and not sure if it will work on the new mac OS.  Anyone know?

No, but you can correct time differences quite effectively after you Ingest your images.  Use the "Adjust Capture Dates and Times" command on the Tools menu.  You can adjust the time by the difference in time between the two cameras.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline MattV151

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 10:33:46 AM »

Offline Kevin M. Cox

• PM 6 (6890) | macOS 14.3
    • View Profile
    • Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 09:12:30 PM »
Here is my method to sync up my photos.

At least once per month I'll change the time in the camera's menus to get them fairly close. After big shoots, like a two photog wedding with six cameras I simply take a photo of this webpage with every camera:
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fullscreen.html?n=104

In Photo Mechanic I then calculate the difference between the time on the website (in the photo) and that of the camera's clock and use the tool Kirk mentioned to adjust all images from that camera to match that of the clock. It only takes a couple minutes and guarantees that everything will sync properly when sorted by Capture Time.

My two main cameras drift at a fairly predictable rate so I only have to use the clock/photo method after assignments with three or more cameras.
Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
https://www.instagram.com/kevin.m.cox/

Offline SamFrost

• View Profile
    • Sam Frost Photography
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 02:31:05 AM »
I just photograph my wristwatch with both cameras at the start (or end - it makes no difference) of the job, and then it's easy with PM to adjust them both so they are correct in that one photo.  I don't need sub-second accuracy as I can't use both cameras at the same time, so there will always be a couple of seconds difference when I swap shooting bodies.