Author Topic: auto update of watched folder  (Read 5527 times)

Offline weedinner§

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
auto update of watched folder
« on: October 29, 2009, 06:33:08 AM »
Hi

I'm running OS X 10.5.8 on MAcBookpro with 4 GB of RAM and PM 4.6.1.

The automatic rescan folder does not work and the window has to be manually refreshed. Its no big thing bet would be great if it did what it was told

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: auto update of watched folder
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 06:39:00 AM »
I'm running OS X 10.5.8 on MAcBookpro with 4 GB of RAM and PM 4.6.1.

The automatic rescan folder does not work and the window has to be manually refreshed. Its no big thing bet would be great if it did what it was told

What 'automatic rescan folder' feature are speaking about?  Under what conditions is a folder not refreshing?

-Kirk

Offline weedinner§

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 06:47:06 AM »
Hi Kirk

Preferences>Contact Sheet>Automatically Rescan when folder contents change

I am shooting tethered and would assume that as the image is downloaded to the watched folder it would appear in PM without further intervention. I have to   cmd/  manually to refresh

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 06:52:18 AM »
Hi Kirk

Preferences>Contact Sheet>Automatically Rescan when folder contents change

I am shooting tethered and would assume that as the image is downloaded to the watched folder it would appear in PM without further intervention. I have to   cmd/  manually to refresh

That function relies on other applications to properly notify the OS when they change files.  If the tethered software you're using doesn't perform that function then Photo Mechanic won't receive the notification from the OS that the folder contents have changed.

You might consider using LiveIngest (as long as you're shooting JPEGs only) as it actively scans folders for new files instead of being notified by the OS.

-Kirk

Offline SzurszewskiJ

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Joe Szurszewski Photography
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 04:07:09 PM »
Can anyone provide a list of programs that DO properly update the OS when a file is created via a tethered session?  It appears that Aperture either doesn't properly update, or I'm doing something else wrong.

PM 4.6.2.1, OS X 10.6.2, I create a contact sheet for the tethered import folder, make sure the "Automatically rescan..." pref is set (and that I've restarted PM), then shoot.  If I just sit in PM and wait, nothing happens.  If I either manually rescan or switch to Aperture and back to PM, then the new image I just shot appears in PM. 

It's weird if Aperture isn't playing by the rules, given it's an Apple product . . .

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 05:22:17 PM »
Can anyone provide a list of programs that DO properly update the OS when a file is created via a tethered session?  It appears that Aperture either doesn't properly update, or I'm doing something else wrong.

PM 4.6.2.1, OS X 10.6.2, I create a contact sheet for the tethered import folder, make sure the "Automatically rescan..." pref is set (and that I've restarted PM), then shoot.  If I just sit in PM and wait, nothing happens.  If I either manually rescan or switch to Aperture and back to PM, then the new image I just shot appears in PM. 

It's weird if Aperture isn't playing by the rules, given it's an Apple product . . .

Have you tried the Live Ingest feature in Photo Mechanic?  It actively scans for new files (currently JPEG only) and Ingests them as they arrive.

-Kirk

Offline SzurszewskiJ

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Joe Szurszewski Photography
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2010, 05:25:53 PM »
Yeah, unfortunately, I need RAW...

Will this be updated to include RAW files at some point?

Thanks,
Joe