Author Topic: Crop on extract jpeg  (Read 20983 times)

Offline Lars

• View Profile
    • DESGphoto / elementalSPORTS
Crop on extract jpeg
« on: October 30, 2009, 05:23:07 AM »
Hello,

the new crop feature for RAW files is really amazing!!!

But it would be really great if the crop would also be applied to the extracted JPEG files ("Extract JPEG previews from RAW photos..."). Some cameras (e.g. Nikon D3) are storing high-resolition previews which are good enough to send to an agency. So it would be really great to have the ability to shoot in RAW, make then a crop in PM and extract the JPEG from RAW with the given crop.

Best regards,
Lars

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Crop on extract jpeg
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 06:43:11 AM »
Lars,

But it would be really great if the crop would also be applied to the extracted JPEG files ("Extract JPEG previews from RAW photos..."). Some cameras (e.g. Nikon D3) are storing high-resolition previews which are good enough to send to an agency. So it would be really great to have the ability to shoot in RAW, make then a crop in PM and extract the JPEG from RAW with the given crop.

Why not just do a Save As from the RAW file?  You can get so much more functionality there anyway.  Cropping, scaling, sharpening, etc.

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 05:18:23 PM »

New crop feture for RAW? Hasn't it been in PM for ages? Or is there something new about it I did not discover yet? Am I missing something?

Lars,

Why not just do a Save As from the RAW file?  You can get so much more functionality there anyway.  Cropping, scaling, sharpening, etc.

-Kirk

In certain cases save as is not useful enough. For example I work with hundreds and thousands of RAW files I prefer extact to JPGs at some point for storage space efficient transfer (for some selecting sorting features I don't need the RAW) and the extract is much faster than a save as for couple thousand images. But it would be great to still have the crop settings in place.
The question on developer side may be how to transfer the crop settings of the RAW image size to the different size preview JPG. But PM does it fine if I have RAW+JPG selected when adding the crop. So PM does allready know the way for it just in a different part of the code.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 05:27:17 PM »

New crop feture for RAW? Hasn't it been in PM for ages? Or is there something new about it I did not discover yet? Am I missing something?

This new crop feature (just data in XMP, really) is compatible with Adobe Camera RAW, so when you crop in PM and then send the photo to ACR, the crop shows up there and you can further refine it.

Quote from: szurkebarat

In certain cases save as is not useful enough. For example I work with hundreds and thousands of RAW files I prefer extact to JPGs at some point for storage space efficient transfer (for some selecting sorting features I don't need the RAW) and the extract is much faster than a save as for couple thousand images. But it would be great to still have the crop settings in place.
The question on developer side may be how to transfer the crop settings of the RAW image size to the different size preview JPG. But PM does it fine if I have RAW+JPG selected when adding the crop. So PM does allready know the way for it just in a different part of the code.

But if we had to apply crops then the Extract function would no longer be fast like it is.  Extract would have to do many of the same steps as Save As does...

-Kirk

Offline Lars

• View Profile
    • DESGphoto / elementalSPORTS
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2009, 04:55:10 AM »
Kirk,

thanks for the answer and feedback!

Lars

Offline Rguzmanphoto

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2009, 06:31:32 AM »
Great new feature. I would also like to be able to use fractions in cropping in PM. ex: 10.72 for long end an 7.12 for short end. Is this possible?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2009, 06:49:26 AM »
Great new feature. I would also like to be able to use fractions in cropping in PM. ex: 10.72 for long end an 7.12 for short end. Is this possible?

No, not at this time.

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2009, 05:21:28 PM »

This new crop feature (just data in XMP, really) is compatible with Adobe Camera RAW, so when you crop in PM and then send the photo to ACR, the crop shows up there and you can further refine it.

This sounds great. Does it work in any way with LightRoom too?

Quote from: szurkebarat

But if we had to apply crops then the Extract function would no longer be fast like it is.  Extract would have to do many of the same steps as Save As does...

-Kirk

I understand the point but what I was referring is not to crop the image but to add the same crop settings as there is in the RAW file itself. Maybe recalculating it to the size of the preview wouldn't slow the extract that much as it is allredy done on the fly all the time I work with RAW+JPG. So what I want is not the actual crop to be done but unlike in save as to add the crop marking to the extract.
Allways shooting RAW.

Offline mklass

• View Profile
    • Mick Klass Photography
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2009, 05:40:12 AM »
Kirk,

Any chance that the crop raw feature would be made to work with Capture NX 2 as well?

Mick

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2009, 06:26:54 AM »
Mick,

Any chance that the crop raw feature would be made to work with Capture NX 2 as well?

That would be up to the Capture NX2 folks to implement.  We've just adopted Adobe's way of describing a crop inside XMP data.  If the Capture NX2 folks would do likewise then the crops would be usable across all three applications.

I suggest writing an email to Nikon as a feature request.  Though if you're going to point out that PM 4.6.2 has implemented this feature, you should wait until PM 4.6.2 goes final before sending your request.

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2009, 11:04:32 PM »
We've just adopted Adobe's way of describing a crop inside XMP data.

Does this mean that all Adobe applications will be able to use the crop settings set in PM? I most of all mean PhotoShop AND LightRoom as well?
Allways shooting RAW.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2009, 11:41:29 PM »

Does this mean that all Adobe applications will be able to use the crop settings set in PM? I most of all mean PhotoShop AND LightRoom as well?

They should.  Let us know if you find a case where they don't work from PM to Adobe's apps.  Not all crops from Adobe's apps will work in PM however (rotated crops won't work.)

-Kirk

Offline Hydester

• View Profile
    • Hotel Resort Photography
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2009, 09:18:57 AM »

-Kirk

Wow, this is great & I didn't even know about it till this post !!!

Typically, I always want more though !

Would love to be able to:

a) Hit button to constrain aspect ratio to that of original image (I guess I could make & save one, but a button would be simpler)

b) Rotate the crop as per Light Room

Best

Steve

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2009, 04:40:43 PM »
Not all crops from Adobe's apps will work in PM however (rotated crops won't work.)

Is there any chance to see the very much requested rotated crops feature work in PM the near future?

a) Hit button to constrain aspect ratio to that of original image (I guess I could make & save one, but a button would be simpler)

I don't entirely understand this request. Do you mean the crop to use the original aspect ratio of the image captured by the camera? Perhaps it is the easyest to set the default to 3:2 in preferences this way not even a button has to be used. Most DSLRs use this standard photo aspect ratio. Of course if your camera uses 4:3 or 16:9 like some compact cameras do you can set it (or almost any other) too.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 04:51:05 PM by Kirk Baker »
Allways shooting RAW.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2009, 04:51:42 PM »
Not all crops from Adobe's apps will work in PM however (rotated crops won't work.)

Is there any chance to see the very much requested rotated crops feature work in PM the near future?

No, not likely.

-Kirk