Author Topic: Canon raw files not found when searching  (Read 2372 times)

Offline trstaley

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Canon raw files not found when searching
« on: November 03, 2009, 05:03:56 AM »
I have PM 4.6.1.  I did not ingest the raw files using PM.  The photos were already on my NAS drive and tagged.  I edit raw files using Photoshop.  When I attempt a search only jpeg files are found.  Any raw files with the same keywords are ignored.  However if I simply open the directory with in PM all files show up.  What must I do to get PM to include raw files that have match the same keyword search criteria?

I am using a Mac with Leopard.

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 05:51:39 AM by trstaley »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Canon raw files not found when searching
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 06:13:33 AM »
I have PM 4.6.1.  I did not ingest the raw files using PM.  The photos were already on my NAS drive and tagged.  I edit raw files using Photoshop.  When I attempt a search only jpeg files are found.  Any raw files with the same keywords are ignored.  However if I simply open the directory with in PM all files show up.  What must I do to get PM to include raw files that have match the same keyword search criteria?

I am using a Mac with Leopard.

Are you using the Search (Spotlight) features in PM?  Are your RAW files using XMP sidecar files only?  If the answer to both of those questions is 'yes', then the answer is that nothing can be done about this since Spotlight doesn't associate the data contained in XMP sidecar files with the RAW files that they match up with.  I complained to Apple about this particular issue as far back as 2005 and their response was that they weren't going to ever associate data from one file with another file.

-Kirk

Offline trstaley

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 07:43:47 AM »
Thanks Kirk.  i am doing exactly as you describe.  XMP sidecar files and spotlight.  Is there per chance another way I can have PM find my files?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 08:40:53 AM »
Thanks Kirk.  i am doing exactly as you describe.  XMP sidecar files and spotlight.  Is there per chance another way I can have PM find my files?

If you're willing to embed IPTC data into your RAW files, then Spotlight should index their data for later searching.

-Kirk