Author Topic: Disappearing IPTC data  (Read 7581 times)

Offline JOHNHHH

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Disappearing IPTC data
« on: November 07, 2009, 02:20:40 PM »
Hi
I have been enjoying using PM4.5.4- I am using Windows XP Professional- its great software. However I found today that if I add IPTC data to my images as usual, it completely disappears if I then view the images in Picture Window Pro or Photoshop Elemnts 8. Photoshop File Info confirms that all the EXIF/IPTC data is still in place but if I view the IPTC data window (via clicking on the I in the circle, it is now completely blank!)  What is happeneing? I love Photo Mechanic, but I want to be able to do editing in other programs usch as Picture Window Pro, without losing the data or at least the ability to view it. I have experiemented over and over agian to see what might be causing this but cannot do so. Am using tif files.
Any help much appreciated.
Thanks
John

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Disappearing IPTC data
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 06:08:42 PM »
John,

I have been enjoying using PM4.5.4- I am using Windows XP Professional- its great software. However I found today that if I add IPTC data to my images as usual, it completely disappears if I then view the images in Picture Window Pro or Photoshop Elemnts 8. Photoshop File Info confirms that all the EXIF/IPTC data is still in place but if I view the IPTC data window (via clicking on the I in the circle, it is now completely blank!)  What is happeneing? I love Photo Mechanic, but I want to be able to do editing in other programs usch as Picture Window Pro, without losing the data or at least the ability to view it. I have experiemented over and over agian to see what might be causing this but cannot do so. Am using tif files.

Does the IPTC information continue to show up in Photo Mechanic?

-Kirk

Offline JOHNHHH

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 03:26:54 AM »
Hi Kirk
The data is still visible in Photoshop Elements 8 under several of the File Info tabs but has disappeared from Photo Mechanic- see screen shots below! (I installed this data to the image in Photo Mechanic initially, before opening it in Photoshop Elements 8 and also in Picture Window Pro 5.0) Incidentally, this is the  image I used as a test to see what was happening- the fault had already occurred with the other images I had been captioning earlier in the day....
Here is the Photo Mechanic IPTC window which should have(and did have!) entries for description, keyword, object name etc<br>. Here is the description tab when opened in Elements 8<br> Here is the PITC tab from the same photoshop elements 8 File info tab:<br> and finally here is the properties window when the image is viewed in Picture Window Pro 5.0 <br>

In short, all the data is still there but Photo Mechanic can no longer see it.............
Thanks
John

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 06:42:55 AM »
John,

The data is still visible in Photoshop Elements 8 under several of the File Info tabs but has disappeared from Photo Mechanic- see screen shots below! (I installed this data to the image in Photo Mechanic initially, before opening it in Photoshop Elements 8 and also in Picture Window Pro 5.0) Incidentally, this is the  image I used as a test to see what was happening- the fault had already occurred with the other images I had been captioning earlier in the day....

In short, all the data is still there but Photo Mechanic can no longer see it.............

Please send me a sample file.  Please click on my name to the left of this message, then click on the 'personal message' link.  I will respond with upload instructions.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2009, 01:07:06 PM »
John,

I have attached what it shows in Photo Mechanic 4.6.2 on my Mac...

-Kirk

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline JOHNHHH

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2009, 02:55:27 AM »
Hi Kirk
Yes that' exactly what I can see if I view the file in Photoshop but when I view it in Photo Mechanic all fields are blank as shown in the first screenshot I sent you above. I have gone back and reopened the file several times in Photo mechanic but it remains blank- is there some setting which may be causing this- I saw a rely to another thread which talked about sidecars and XMP- does that have any relevance??
Thansk
John

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2009, 06:29:40 AM »
John,

Yes that' exactly what I can see if I view the file in Photoshop but when I view it in Photo Mechanic all fields are blank as shown in the first screenshot I sent you above. I have gone back and reopened the file several times in Photo mechanic but it remains blank- is there some setting which may be causing this- I saw a rely to another thread which talked about sidecars and XMP- does that have any relevance??

Perhaps if you posted a JPEG screen shot of your IPTC/XMP tab of the Photo Mechanic Preferences dialog then I might see something wrong in your settings.  Use the 'Additional Options...' button while composing your response to upload your JPEG screen shot.

-Kirk

Offline JOHNHHH

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2009, 01:43:53 PM »
Hi Kirk
have carried on my experiemnts today to try and track this problem down, but once again, if I manipulate any image in Picture Window Pro (e.g. adjust brightness etc) and then resave it (which PWP 5) does with an adiitonal suffix (-1), the resulting image still has all its IPTC data when viewed in Photoshop, but is completely balnk when viewed in Photo Mechanic!! I attach screen shot of my settings....
This is really very strange.
Hope you can crack it.
John

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2009, 02:24:20 PM »
John,

have carried on my experiemnts today to try and track this problem down, but once again, if I manipulate any image in Picture Window Pro (e.g. adjust brightness etc) and then resave it (which PWP 5) does with an adiitonal suffix (-1), the resulting image still has all its IPTC data when viewed in Photoshop, but is completely balnk when viewed in Photo Mechanic!! I attach screen shot of my settings....
This is really very strange.
Hope you can crack it.

The settings look good.  Mine are very much the same.  I am using a different version of Photo Mechanic (much newer than yours) and that may be the difference.  Please give the 4.6.2 beta version a try.  You can get the beta from the Announcements section of the forums.

-Kirk