Author Topic: Snow Leopard ingest problems with Lexar Reader  (Read 53633 times)

Offline djohnston

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Snow Leopard ingest problems with Lexar Reader
« Reply #45 on: December 18, 2009, 12:19:21 PM »
Kirk,
Here's info on my 13-inch.

Model Name:   MacBook Pro
  Model Identifier:   MacBookPro5,5
  Processor Name:   Intel Core 2 Duo
  Processor Speed:   2.26 GHz
  Number Of Processors:   1
  Total Number Of Cores:   2
  L2 Cache:   3 MB
  Memory:   4 GB
  Bus Speed:   1.07 GHz
  Boot ROM Version:   MBP55.00AC.B03
  SMC Version (system):   1.47f2

OS X v10.6.2
 PM 4.6.2.1
Ingesting with SanDisk Firewire 800 reader. Sandisk Extreme III and IV cards (2 and 4 g)

The slow ingest problem cropped up when I upgraded to Snow Leopard from Leopard - - So it seems to be an Apple problem.

Best,
Danny

Offline ohrbi

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2010, 12:11:11 PM »
I can stop the ingest / quit PM / restart PM and it will usually fix the problem.

I'm bringing this to the top again.

I'm having the same problem(s), ingest takes about 5-10 times longer, with the following equipment:

MacBook Pro (2009), 2,53 GHz, 4GB Ram, SSD, Snow Leopard 10.6.2, PM 4.6.2.2 beta, SanDisk Firewire Reader, Hoodman CF Cards (4GB and 8GB)

Mostly it's on the first ingest, but sometimes also 'in between' ...

Thanks,

thomas

P.S.: On my MacPro (2009) there was no slow ingest since updating to PM 4.6.2.2 ...

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2010, 01:16:31 PM »
Thomas,

I can stop the ingest / quit PM / restart PM and it will usually fix the problem.

I'm bringing this to the top again.

I'm having the same problem(s), ingest takes about 5-10 times longer, with the following equipment:

MacBook Pro (2009), 2,53 GHz, 4GB Ram, SSD, Snow Leopard 10.6.2, PM 4.6.2.2 beta, SanDisk Firewire Reader, Hoodman CF Cards (4GB and 8GB)

Mostly it's on the first ingest, but sometimes also 'in between' ...

Thanks,

thomas

P.S.: On my MacPro (2009) there was no slow ingest since updating to PM 4.6.2.2 ...

Apple has been made aware of the problem and hopefully they'll provide a fix in the OS or some guidance to us so we can workaround the problem.

In the meantime, one method that would work if you have the disc space would be to:

1) Insert your card into the card reader.
2) Use the Finder to Option-drag the card (icon) to some place on your hard drive.  (The copy should be fast.)
3) Unmount the card.
4) Use Ingest (Folders) and add that folder containing your images to the folder list.  Perform the Ingest. (The Ingest should be fast.)
5) Manually delete the files you copied in step #2.

It's more steps, but there is no danger of missing any files or modifying the card in the process and the results will be exactly the same.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline Kevin M. Cox

• PM 6 (6890) | macOS 14.3
    • View Profile
    • Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2010, 11:03:42 PM »
I wanted to report it that I had no trouble ingesting multiple cards at two football games last week with 4.6.2.2 Beta 3.  Ingests were as fast as they usually are.
Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
https://www.instagram.com/kevin.m.cox/

Offline jah313

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2010, 12:43:26 PM »
Kirk,

I just wanted to let you know my setup if it helps, since the most recent beta did not fix the FW800 ingest problem:

Model Name:   MacBook Pro
  Model Identifier:   MacBookPro5,1
  Processor Name:   Intel Core 2 Duo
  Processor Speed:   2.53 GHz
  Number Of Processors:   1
  Total Number Of Cores:   2
  L2 Cache:   6 MB
  Memory:   4 GB
  Bus Speed:   1.07 GHz

OSX 10.6.2
SanDisk FW800 Card Reader and a USB card reader.

The FW800 will work fine for a couple of ingests then slow down for no reason. If I stop the ingest, unplug the cable and start again, it will usually work for a while. The USB reader does not seem to have a problem.

Thanks,
DREW

Offline mpro

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2010, 01:51:08 PM »
I have the same problem. My configuration:

MBP 2.93GHz
4GB RAM
500GB HD @7200RPM
OS X 10.6.2

Photo Mechanic 4.6.2.2

Reader: Sandisk Extreme FW800 SN#4043446

Before 10.6, it took about 1 second per photo to ingest, now it's about 8 seconds. (EOS 1Ds RAW Files, approx 25MB)

This is a very serious problem for me as it slows down my workflow on the job drastically. I hope you can resolve it very quickly.

Thanks
Marco

Offline Paul Burrows UK

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2010, 01:10:32 AM »
Just to add my input, I've had problems with a Lexar USB2 CF card reader on Snow Lepoard. It would read a dozen or so images and then hang both in PM and the Finder. Copying a card would take ages. As soon as I switch to a Kingston USB2 CF reader the images are displayed very quickly as normal. Seems to be a problem with Lexar readers and the drivers for Snow Leopard? I'm using a brand new Macbook Pro 15" by the way.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2010, 07:42:38 AM »
Everyone,

Please get the 4.6.3 beta 1 version from the Announcements section of the forums.  It should solve this issue completely.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Rguzmanphoto

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2010, 09:41:01 PM »
Kirk, I had a problem tonight with 4.6.3 beta, I ingested a Extreme III 4gig card using Lexar pro FW400 after the first half BB about 250 pics in jpeg took about 2.5  mins. shot the second half came back to ingest card, Extreme III 4gig using same reader, this card only had 142 jpegs, it took 2 min just to get 2 pics to show, I closed out PM started it again and it took 10 mins took ingest all pics. After rebooting it only took 1min 36 sec. Took that card out inserted another Extreme III 4 gig 172 jpegs same thing 12 mins to ingest. The only way I can get it to run faster is to reboot computer.
MacBook Pro 2.16 Core Due   Leopard 10.6.2

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2010, 09:55:02 PM »
Kirk, I had a problem tonight with 4.6.3 beta, I ingested a Extreme III 4gig card using Lexar pro FW400 after the first half BB about 250 pics in jpeg took about 2.5  mins. shot the second half came back to ingest card, Extreme III 4gig using same reader, this card only had 142 jpegs, it took 2 min just to get 2 pics to show, I closed out PM started it again and it took 10 mins took ingest all pics. After rebooting it only took 1min 36 sec. Took that card out inserted another Extreme III 4 gig 172 jpegs same thing 12 mins to ingest. The only way I can get it to run faster is to reboot computer.
MacBook Pro 2.16 Core Due   Leopard 10.6.2

Are you certain that you're using the latest beta?  We identified the single routine that is responsible for the slow down (Apple has confirmed that there is a bug in the OS and that they already know about the problem) and we no longer call that routine.  Please confirm that you're running the 4.6.3 beta and not one of the older 4.6.2.2 betas or an earlier version of Photo Mechanic.

-Kirk

Offline Rguzmanphoto

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2010, 10:27:36 PM »
Kirk, yes I am sure it is 4.6.3 beta 1 I have deleted all others from my system

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2010, 10:36:47 PM »

OK.  Would you be willing to run logging versions of Photo Mechanic so we can find out where the slowdown is occurring on your system?  Perhaps there is a secondary issue with Firewire 400 (all of the previous posters were using Firewire 800)...

-Kirk

Offline Rguzmanphoto

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2010, 10:38:21 PM »

OK.  Would you be willing to run logging versions of Photo Mechanic so we can find out where the slowdown is occurring on your system?  Perhaps there is a secondary issue with Firewire 400 (all of the previous posters were using Firewire 800)...

-Kirk

Sure, be glad to help out

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #58 on: January 30, 2010, 10:40:19 PM »

OK, I'll ready a test version for you tomorrow.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Rguzmanphoto

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2010, 06:30:15 AM »

OK, I'll ready a test version for you tomorrow.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Kirk, if this helps any, I did not have this problem or any slow speeds in the last versions, it only started with 4.6.3

Romeo