Author Topic: Problems Copying Files To New Folder  (Read 10596 times)

Offline Wolvie

• View Profile
Problems Copying Files To New Folder
« on: August 05, 2006, 12:20:24 PM »
I've looked (or so I think I have) looked through all of the menus and dialogs but so far unable to locate a switch to turn off this behavior in PM.  When I use PM and drag a file from the contact sheet to a new folder on different drive it deletes the file from the original location. I could understand this if I was moving a file on the same drive, but I'm not.

I was unaware of this behavior early on and lost several dozen high res files because I resized them to web viewing levels after moving them to a new directory thinking the originals would not be touched, moved or deleted.  I was not a happy camper since the lost files were first round selects.  Luckily, I recovered about 1/2 because the cards had not been used when I discovered the issue.

So my question is there a check box somewhere to keep PM from doing this?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Problems Copying Files To New Folder
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2006, 12:46:22 PM »
I've looked (or so I think I have) looked through all of the menus and dialogs but so far unable to locate a switch to turn off this behavior in PM.  When I use PM and drag a file from the contact sheet to a new folder on different drive it deletes the file from the original location. I could understand this if I was moving a file on the same drive, but I'm not.

I was unaware of this behavior early on and lost several dozen high res files because I resized them to web viewing levels after moving them to a new directory thinking the originals would not be touched, moved or deleted.  I was not a happy camper since the lost files were first round selects.  Luckily, I recovered about 1/2 because the cards had not been used when I discovered the issue.

So my question is there a check box somewhere to keep PM from doing this?

Thanks in advance for your help.

As always it is very important that you tell me what OS you are running on, and what specific version of Photo Mechanic you are using.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Wolvie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2006, 02:24:24 PM »
"As always it is very important that you tell me what OS you are running on, and what specific version of Photo Mechanic you are using."

My bad, Kirk.

I am running the latest release of PM with both Win2000 and XP.

Wolvie

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2006, 04:46:44 PM »
"As always it is very important that you tell me what OS you are running on, and what specific version of Photo Mechanic you are using."

My bad, Kirk.

I am running the latest release of PM with both Win2000 and XP.

Wolvie

We'll look into the problem.  In the meantime, you can right-click-drag the photos to the destination, and when you release the right mouse button, you'll get a contextual menu that will let you choose the operation.

HTH,

-Kirk
« Last Edit: August 07, 2006, 08:52:08 AM by Kirk Baker »

Offline Wolvie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2006, 01:08:36 PM »
Thanks, Kirk.