Author Topic: Export to web gallery  (Read 5720 times)

Offline Darby

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Export to web gallery
« on: July 13, 2010, 06:25:49 PM »
I'm looking to set up a couple of viewing stations where clients can view photos on location.  I'm going to use my Mac's "web sharing" features to get the images to be seen in galleries on the viewing stations. 

My question is if I were to export to an HTML gallery, would my home page allow for multiple galleries to be present ie) gallery 1 - team a vs team b @ 9am, gallery 2 - team c vs team d 10 am etc and then have the photos associated with each game to be inside each gallery?  If so is this done automatically?  I took a quick look at pages 102 onwards in the manual but I'm lost when looking at code ... my website allows me to easily create a gallery & load the photos ... just wondering if this software will do the same.

Sorry for the rudimentary question.

Darby

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Export to web gallery
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 06:24:09 AM »
Darby,

I'm looking to set up a couple of viewing stations where clients can view photos on location.  I'm going to use my Mac's "web sharing" features to get the images to be seen in galleries on the viewing stations. 

My question is if I were to export to an HTML gallery, would my home page allow for multiple galleries to be present ie) gallery 1 - team a vs team b @ 9am, gallery 2 - team c vs team d 10 am etc and then have the photos associated with each game to be inside each gallery?  If so is this done automatically?  I took a quick look at pages 102 onwards in the manual but I'm lost when looking at code ... my website allows me to easily create a gallery & load the photos ... just wondering if this software will do the same.

The PM Classic template can create one-level deep hierarchical galleries.  If you arrange your folders of photos so that they are all in the same folder and then open the parent folder and all of the sub-folders into a single Contact Sheet tab then that hierarchy can be reproduced with the 'Generate hierarchical pages with index' checkbox.  The name of each sub-folder will be used as the name for the thumbnails representing each thumbnail on the index page.  The first photo in each sub-folder will be used to represent its images on the index page.

For instance, here is how you would create your folder hierarchy:

Games/
    team a vs team b @ 9am/
        picture0001.jpg
        picture0002.jpg
        picture0003.jpg
        picture0999.jpg
    team c vs team d 10 am/
        picture0001.jpg
        picture0002.jpg
        picture0003.jpg
        picture0999.jpg

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline Darby

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Export to web gallery
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 09:41:14 PM »
Hi Kirk,

Thanks for the quick reply.  I'll follow your directions.

Take care,

Darby

Offline Darby

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Export to web gallery - follow up question
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 04:53:12 PM »
I've just downloaded a demo version of PM and I'm trying to nail the export to web gallery function as this will be a big selling feature for me ... so far, it's very fast but I've hit a bit of a speedbump.

Next month I have an equestrian event I'm going to photograph and there will be 4 rings.  I plan on using a main folder on my desktop to hold the original files & have this mirrored on an external drive.  Within the main folder I want to create a subfolder - one for each of the 4 rings.  Once I shoot one ring, I'll empty the card into the appropriate sub folder, then head to the next ring while an assistant culls the photos, crops & uploads to a gallery.  I'm going to have viewing stations for clients to browse through the photos.  The gallery will be offline, just using my computer's IP address & a router.  I'm hoping this software will make this a piece of cake.

I don't want to have the same photos re-uploaded later when I return with another batch of photos from the first ring so each time I dump the photos I was going to put them into another sub folder to indicate the number of uploads from each ring.
ie) desktop folder is called Originals
  ----> ring 1 is a subfolder
           ----> ring 1 - upload 1
           --->  ring 1 - upload 2 etc
  ----->ring 2 is a subfolder
           ----> ring 2 - upload 1
           -----> ring 2 - upload 2 etc

I want to have an index on the homepage & a gallery for each of the 4 rings.  Can I upload the photos specifically to say, Ring 1 gallery multiple times? I'd like to be able to "update" each gallery through out the two day event.  Having just the four galleries will make it easy for clients to find their photos.  

I've tried to do this but each time I export only the photos that were just exported show up in the gallery.  I know I'm missing something but I'm not sure what.  I've read through the relevant pages in the user's manual, but I just can't seem to figure it out ... not that technically proficient.

Sorry for the basic question.

Take care,

Darby

« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 05:23:20 PM by Darby »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Export to web gallery - follow up question
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2010, 07:21:41 AM »
Darby,

I've just downloaded a demo version of PM and I'm trying to nail the export to web gallery function as this will be a big selling feature for me ... so far, it's very fast but I've hit a bit of a speedbump.

Next month I have an equestrian event I'm going to photograph and there will be 4 rings.  I plan on using a main folder on my desktop to hold the original files & have this mirrored on an external drive.  Within the main folder I want to create a subfolder - one for each of the 4 rings.  Once I shoot one ring, I'll empty the card into the appropriate sub folder, then head to the next ring while an assistant culls the photos, crops & uploads to a gallery.  I'm going to have viewing stations for clients to browse through the photos.  The gallery will be offline, just using my computer's IP address & a router.  I'm hoping this software will make this a piece of cake.

I don't want to have the same photos re-uploaded later when I return with another batch of photos from the first ring so each time I dump the photos I was going to put them into another sub folder to indicate the number of uploads from each ring.
ie) desktop folder is called Originals
  ----> ring 1 is a subfolder
           ----> ring 1 - upload 1
           --->  ring 1 - upload 2 etc
  ----->ring 2 is a subfolder
           ----> ring 2 - upload 1
           -----> ring 2 - upload 2 etc

I want to have an index on the homepage & a gallery for each of the 4 rings.  Can I upload the photos specifically to say, Ring 1 gallery multiple times? I'd like to be able to "update" each gallery through out the two day event.  Having just the four galleries will make it easy for clients to find their photos.  

I've tried to do this but each time I export only the photos that were just exported show up in the gallery.  I know I'm missing something but I'm not sure what.  I've read through the relevant pages in the user's manual, but I just can't seem to figure it out ... not that technically proficient.

The exporter only knows about the selected photos in the current contact sheet.  It has no knowledge of things you exported before (even if it were just minutes ago.)  What you'll need to do is open up the 'Originals' folder and all of its subfolders in to a single contact sheet tab.  You can do this by using the Navigator (or Favorites if you've added the Originals folder to it) and then right-clicking on the Originals folder and choosing one of the 'Open folder and subfolders' items from the contextual menu.  Then select all of the photos (Edit->Select all) and then do your export again.  It may be best to export to a different folder than what you did previously so there are no problems reusing photos that may have changed name/location.  It will take longer each time as you add more photos, but unless you've got many thousands of photos, the export should still be pretty snappy.

Once that's done, just go to each of your viewing stations and set them to browse the newly exported gallery.  Then you can delete the previously exported gallery(ies).

That should do it.

HTH,

-Kirk