Author Topic: Can I copy IPTC data back into RAW file?  (Read 12976 times)

Offline TGeist

• View Profile
    • GG-IMAGES :: Charlotte Wedding Photographer
Can I copy IPTC data back into RAW file?
« on: November 10, 2009, 12:13:36 PM »
This new feature in 4.6.2 is awesome:
"Added a preference to prevent modification of (non-DNG) RAW files when making metadata changes to tag, color class, and crop (although the TIFF rotation tag will be updated when rotating a photo). The crop is now stored in XMP for RAW files and can be read by Adobe applications such as the Adobe Camera Raw plug-in."

If I handled metadata this way (i.e. having it written exclusively into xmp sidecars and not into the RAW file), is there a way to write the IPTC info back into the RAW file at a later point in time?

Thank you!

Thomas
www.gg-images.us

Online Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Can I copy IPTC data back into RAW file?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 01:01:42 PM »
Thomas,

This new feature in 4.6.2 is awesome:
"Added a preference to prevent modification of (non-DNG) RAW files when making metadata changes to tag, color class, and crop (although the TIFF rotation tag will be updated when rotating a photo). The crop is now stored in XMP for RAW files and can be read by Adobe applications such as the Adobe Camera Raw plug-in."

If I handled metadata this way (i.e. having it written exclusively into xmp sidecars and not into the RAW file), is there a way to write the IPTC info back into the RAW file at a later point in time?

Yes.  You have to change your settings to allow RAW files to be modified for metadata access and you need to change your IPTC/XMP embedding preferences to embed either IPTC or XMP (or both if you like) and then lastly apply an IPTC Stationery Pad (updating some unused field).  Your RAW files would then have metadata embedded into them which would basically be the same data that was in your XMP sidecar file.

-Kirk

Offline TGeist

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 09:47:16 AM »
Thank you, this looks good.

However, I am now having the following problem:
When I turn off "Allow RAW files (non DNG) to be modified for metadata and image preference updates" I can no longer tag, star rate or set color class. Nothing happens when clicking or using the corresponding keyboard shortcuts.

Thanks again!
Thomas

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 09:56:37 AM »
Thomas,

Thank you, this looks good.

However, I am now having the following problem:
When I turn off "Allow RAW files (non DNG) to be modified for metadata and image preference updates" I can no longer tag, star rate or set color class. Nothing happens when clicking or using the corresponding keyboard shortcuts.

Works fine for me.  Please post JPEG screen shots of your Files tab and IPTC/XMP tab in the Photo Mechanic Preferences dialog.

-Kirk

Offline TGeist

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 05:58:26 AM »
Thank you for your ongoing support!

OS X 10.6.2, Photo Mechanic 4.6.2, Nikon D300 NEFs

With this setting I cannot tag, star rate or set color class. If I click on the stars below the image, they shortly appear but then are gone again. An xmp sidecar however is generated.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 06:16:00 AM by TGeist »

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 06:25:17 AM »
Thomas,

Thank you for your ongoing support!

OS X 10.6.2, Photo Mechanic 4.6.2, Nikon D300 NEFs

With this setting I cannot tag, star rate or set color class. If I click on the stars below the image, they shortly appear but then are gone again. An xmp sidecar however is generated.

Try setting your IPTC/XMP Read preferences for RAW files to read XMP Sidecar files first instead of third.

-Kirk

Offline TGeist

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2009, 06:32:28 AM »
That did the trick! Thank you so much!

Thomas

Offline TGeist

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2009, 08:20:22 AM »
All the above seems only true for IPTC data. Whenever I tag, star rate or set color class, the RAW file is still modified, no matter what setting I have.

Is there still something wrong in my settings or is this intended?

Thank you & have a Happy Thanksgiving!
Thomas

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2009, 10:53:18 AM »
Thomas,

All the above seems only true for IPTC data. Whenever I tag, star rate or set color class, the RAW file is still modified, no matter what setting I have.

Is there still something wrong in my settings or is this intended?

If your RAW file has already been modified in the past then PM will continue to update the data.  Otherwise it would be stale.  Try starting with images fresh from the camera, or use the Revert TIFF-based RAW photos to original command on the Tools menu.

-Kirk

Offline TGeist

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2010, 10:00:13 AM »
Thomas,

If your RAW file has already been modified in the past then PM will continue to update the data.  Otherwise it would be stale.  Try starting with images fresh from the camera, or use the Revert TIFF-based RAW photos to original command on the Tools menu.

-Kirk

Photo Mechanic 4.6.5 on OS X 10.6.4

This no longer seems to be true. I still have the settings as discussed. But even with a NEF directly imported from the CF card through Finder (i.e. it's completely untouched by PM) tagging in PM will not only create a xmp sidecar (which I want) but also alter the NEF. The NEF's modification date turns to "Today" and the time the NEF was tagged.

This unfortunately will trigger a new backup run with Time Machine, even though the NEF might already have been backed up by Time Machine before.

Thomas

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2010, 10:03:56 AM »
Thomas,

Photo Mechanic 4.6.5 on OS X 10.6.4

This no longer seems to be true. I still have the settings as discussed. But even with a NEF directly imported from the CF card through Finder (i.e. it's completely untouched by PM) tagging in PM will not only create a xmp sidecar (which I want) but also alter the NEF. The NEF's modification date turns to "Today" and the time the NEF was tagged.

This unfortunately will trigger a new backup run with Time Machine, even though the NEF might already have been backed up by Time Machine before.

The file itself isn't being modified.  The filesystem information (modification time) is being updated.  The data in the file isn't changing.  I suppose that if we really don't change any part of the file, we shouldn't change the modification date either.  I'll look into this.

-Kirk

Offline TGeist

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2010, 10:11:38 AM »
Thank you!

Thomas

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2010, 08:53:27 PM »
Thomas,

Thank you!

I have done some testing.  I cannot find a way to take an image straight from the camera and with the settings set to never allow RAW files to be modified, I cannot get the modification date of the RAW file itself to change.  Under what circumstances are you able to get the behavior to happen?

I'm using 4.6.5 on Mac OS X.

-Kirk