Author Topic: 'Save-as' j-peg quality levels  (Read 3714 times)

Offline Simon DTW

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
'Save-as' j-peg quality levels
« on: November 12, 2009, 05:48:09 AM »
Intel Mac 10.5.8, PM 4.6.1
I was recently asked to submit some j-pegs at "300 DPI and level 7", this was referring to Adobe's 12 point save-as dialogue. Wanting to be totally on the button I felt I had to save the files out of CS3 as PM has a 10 steps not 12. I guess in reality nobody but me would know if i saved out of PM at level 7 instead of CS3 as long as the DPI was the same but just wondered why PM opted not to match the 'industry standard' 12 steps?

cheers
Simon

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: 'Save-as' j-peg quality levels
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 06:32:23 AM »
Simon,

Intel Mac 10.5.8, PM 4.6.1
I was recently asked to submit some j-pegs at "300 DPI and level 7", this was referring to Adobe's 12 point save-as dialogue. Wanting to be totally on the button I felt I had to save the files out of CS3 as PM has a 10 steps not 12. I guess in reality nobody but me would know if i saved out of PM at level 7 instead of CS3 as long as the DPI was the same but just wondered why PM opted not to match the 'industry standard' 12 steps?

Photo Mechanic has 100 steps, not 10.  Adobe does not share their JPEG quantization tables with third parties so it would be just guessing on our part to try and duplicate them.

-Kirk

P.S. Please get the 4.6.2 update ASAP.  It fixes a number of issues present in the 4.6.1 version you're running now.

Offline Simon DTW

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 08:42:29 AM »
Hi Kirk, ok thanks, I was referring to the 10 marks on the quality scale in PM, obviously you can position the sider at other places too = which presumably is the 100 points you refer to.

Just downloading 4.6.2 now, thanks for the heads-up, must just have been released as I only checked about a day ago.

cheers
Simon

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 08:45:52 AM »
Simon,

Hi Kirk, ok thanks, I was referring to the 10 marks on the quality scale in PM, obviously you can position the sider at other places too = which presumably is the 100 points you refer to.

That's correct.

-Kirk