Author Topic: Support for Nikon Dust off files  (Read 6219 times)

Offline Marty Ojaste

• View Profile
    • Martin Ojaste
Support for Nikon Dust off files
« on: August 07, 2006, 07:04:24 AM »
Kirk,

Is there a way I can get PM to recognize Nikon Dust off images? (extension NDF)

There are an integral part of my session and workflow.  It nice if I can see the file and move/copy them as I move/copy images to other folders, etc. Current I move jump to Windows explorer to do that, even before I delete a folder.

\Marty
\Marty

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Support for Nikon Dust off files
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2006, 07:19:44 AM »
Marty,

Is there a way I can get PM to recognize Nikon Dust off images? (extension NDF)

No, not currently.  I do plan to add a facility to allow users to list extensions of files that they want PM to recognize and show in the Contact Sheet.  But in your case I think you would want the NDF file to be associated with the NEF file itself so that if you rename the NEF, the NDF file would be renamed as well.  Once a file is associated with a main file, then it will get copied, renamed, deleted, etc. with the main file.

Are there any other auxiliary files we should know about?

-Kirk

Offline Marty Ojaste

• View Profile
    • Martin Ojaste
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2006, 07:13:26 PM »
Kirk,

Dust-off images are usually done when I start a shoot and when I end a shoot and, if I remember, when I change lenses. So they are not necessarily associated with one file, but a set different files. When I get to sorting, etc, I have many times moved images using PM and have forgotten that there were .ndf files in the same folder, then deleted the folder.  Opps.

So the need is was really around displaying a "image" for .NDF files so I now that special type of .NDF file existing and need to deal with it.

Your idea of associating other files with an image is interesting. It could be considered that any images with the same filename, but different type should be considered a PM does with NEF + JPG.  (e.g. image01.NEF, Image01.JPG, Image01.TIF, Image01.PSD, Image01.NDF, etc.)  Like stacking all related files into one contact sheet thumbnail.

I guess I can dream.

Thanks.
\Marty

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2006, 07:49:41 PM »
Marty,

Dust-off images are usually done when I start a shoot and when I end a shoot and, if I remember, when I change lenses. So they are not necessarily associated with one file, but a set different files. When I get to sorting, etc, I have many times moved images using PM and have forgotten that there were .ndf files in the same folder, then deleted the folder.  Opps.

So the need is was really around displaying a "image" for .NDF files so I now that special type of .NDF file existing and need to deal with it.

I see, then the solution we are working on will work for you.

Quote from: Marty Ojaste
Your idea of associating other files with an image is interesting. It could be considered that any images with the same filename, but different type should be considered a PM does with NEF + JPG.  (e.g. image01.NEF, Image01.JPG, Image01.TIF, Image01.PSD, Image01.NDF, etc.)  Like stacking all related files into one contact sheet thumbnail.

I'm not sure that would be all that useful, since you wouldn't be able to see each item if you wanted to.  RAW+JPEG is a special case.

-Kirk