Author Topic: Arrangements not being saved  (Read 3179 times)

Offline frankaphonic

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Arrangements not being saved
« on: November 14, 2009, 10:06:40 AM »
As I understand it I should be able move thumbs around in a contact sheet and have the new order saved.  But when I return to a folder in which this was done, the old order appears.

-Sort by: is set to Arrangement
-I've clicked View/Make Arrangement til I got blisters on my finger:-)
-I've tried checking/unchecking the preference for "Only allow arrangements to occur when in Arrangement sort mode"

but no matter what I do the new order is still not saved.

FWIW I checked the .pmarrangement.dat file and the time stamp for the file does in fact update, but the contents of the file never change......

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<Arrangement>
  <FilesArray/>
</Arrangement>

I'm using PM 4.6.2 with XP Pro SP3.  Why aren't my arrangements being saved???

Regards,
Frank

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Arrangements not being saved
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 10:52:35 AM »
Frank,

As I understand it I should be able move thumbs around in a contact sheet and have the new order saved.  But when I return to a folder in which this was done, the old order appears.

-Sort by: is set to Arrangement
-I've clicked View/Make Arrangement til I got blisters on my finger:-)
-I've tried checking/unchecking the preference for "Only allow arrangements to occur when in Arrangement sort mode"

but no matter what I do the new order is still not saved.

FWIW I checked the .pmarrangement.dat file and the time stamp for the file does in fact update, but the contents of the file never change......

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<Arrangement>
  <FilesArray/>
</Arrangement>

I'm using PM 4.6.2 with XP Pro SP3.  Why aren't my arrangements being saved???

I don't know offhand.  What do your filenames look like?  Any accented characters?  What is the path to this contact sheet?

-Kirk

Offline frankaphonic

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 01:58:20 PM »
Here's the path with a typical filename...

G:\temp\TestSlideShow\DSC_0178_171.jpg

There's 45 files with similar names, no accented characters.

Should the .pmarrangement.dat file contain a list of my arrangement?

Regards,
Frank

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 04:11:57 PM »
Frank,

Here's the path with a typical filename...

G:\temp\TestSlideShow\DSC_0178_171.jpg

There's 45 files with similar names, no accented characters.

Should the .pmarrangement.dat file contain a list of my arrangement?

Yes, most definitely.  Let me check for a regression.

EDIT: I just tested it.  No regression.  Works fine for me.  If you're willing, I'll get you access to a test version to help me find out why it isn't working on your specific machine.  Let me know if you're interested.

-Kirk
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 04:24:58 PM by Kirk Baker »

Offline frankaphonic

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 02:15:46 AM »
I'm interested, but how willing I am will depend on what's involved in using the test version.

How much time and know-how is required?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2009, 06:47:22 AM »
I'm interested, but how willing I am will depend on what's involved in using the test version.

How much time and know-how is required?

It's pretty simple.  You download and install the test version.  You run it and try to make an arrangement.  A text file is generated with information that is useful to me.  You send me the text file.  If I can spot the problem in one try then you're done and I fix the problem.  If I need to add more information to help find the issue then I do so, create a new test version and we repeat the process until the problem is solved.

Usually it doesn't take that long.  I will say this however: if you're not willing to test, the problem will not be solved until either I find a way to reproduce it (which I haven't been able to do so far) or someone else that has the problem comes along and is willing to help.

At this point, it's up to you.

-Kirk

Offline frankaphonic

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2009, 09:37:50 AM »
I am willing, my only concern is how many times this will have to be repeated before you can reproduce problem.  I'll try it once, maybe twice, but chasing a ghost is not something I want to get involved in for a minor issue like this.

Where can I download the test version?

BTW, do I need to uninstall my current version first?  And if not, do I need to configure preferences in the test version before running it?  Where can I find the text file after it's generated, and to where do I send it once I have it?

FWIW I checked my PM.log file but saw nothing relating to my arrangements nor the path they used.  However, there were several entries with "error 13" for which there is no mention in the documentation.  What does error 13 mean?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2009, 10:41:21 AM »
Frank,

I am willing, my only concern is how many times this will have to be repeated before you can reproduce problem.  I'll try it once, maybe twice, but chasing a ghost is not something I want to get involved in for a minor issue like this.

Where can I download the test version?

I have not created it yet.  I will let you know privately where you can get it once it is ready.

Quote from: frankaphonic
BTW, do I need to uninstall my current version first?  And if not, do I need to configure preferences in the test version before running it?

You'll install the test version over your current version.  Nothing special needs to be done on your part.

Where can I find the text file after it's generated, and to where do I send it once I have it?

I will explain that to you later, privately.

FWIW I checked my PM.log file but saw nothing relating to my arrangements nor the path they used.  However, there were several entries with "error 13" for which there is no mention in the documentation.  What does error 13 mean?

I'd have to see your PM.log file myself in order to be certain.

I'll contact you privately when I have a test version for you to try.

Thanks,

-Kirk