Author Topic: Unwanted crop resize error  (Read 5270 times)

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
Unwanted crop resize error
« on: November 15, 2009, 03:33:24 PM »
I just discovered something that seems me an error in the new PM 4.6.2 out there. Whenever I set a landscape constrained crop (set to 3:2) on a landscape image the crop area gets resized to a portrait crop with the same height the instant my crop touches the top edge of the image. If I move the crop at least a pixel away from the top edge it gets resized back to the landscape crop I set it originally.

This seems to happen only with CR2 files from both EOS 1D/1Ds mk II and EOS 30D. I couldn't reproduce this issue with JPGs extracted from the RAW files.

Landscape crop away from the top:

Resized crop touching the top side:
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Unwanted crop resize error
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 09:38:22 PM »
I just discovered something that seems me an error in the new PM 4.6.2 out there. Whenever I set a landscape constrained crop (set to 3:2) on a landscape image the crop area gets resized to a portrait crop with the same height the instant my crop touches the top edge of the image. If I move the crop at least a pixel away from the top edge it gets resized back to the landscape crop I set it originally.

This seems to happen only with CR2 files from both EOS 1D/1Ds mk II and EOS 30D. I couldn't reproduce this issue with JPGs extracted from the RAW files.

Thanks for the report.  We'll look into it.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 08:32:41 PM »

I am unable to reproduce it with images from my Canon 20D.  Perhaps you could send me an image from your camera(s)?  Please click on my name to the left of this message, then click on the 'personal message' link.  I will respond with upload instructions.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2009, 07:41:32 AM »

I am unable to reproduce it with images from my Canon 20D.  Perhaps you could send me an image from your camera(s)?  Please click on my name to the left of this message, then click on the 'personal message' link.  I will respond with upload instructions.

Thanks,

-Kirk

I uploaded a test file called 0911129862a.cr2 to the uploads FTP. It is from a Canon EOS 1D mk II but I can supply sample images having this issue from different camera models if needed.

I also checked with an EOS 40D CR2 that one had no error just like your 20D. However a 30D I formerly used has this error again.
I hope this helps you identify and solve this problem.
Allways shooting RAW.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 08:57:19 AM »

I uploaded a test file called 0911129862a.cr2 to the uploads FTP. It is from a Canon EOS 1D mk II but I can supply sample images having this issue from different camera models if needed.

I also checked with an EOS 40D CR2 that one had no error just like your 20D. However a 30D I formerly used has this error again.

I still cannot reproduce the problem.  I saw your crop on the photo.  I dragged it to the upper left of the preview.  Nothing changed to the aspect ratio of the crop.  I dragged it to all four corners, and the four edges and again nothing changed.  I tried hiding the rest of the UI, turning on RAW rendering, zooming in at 100% and I still couldn't reproduce the issue.

Are you running version 4.6.2.1?  This issue existed in earlier 4.6.x versions but was fixed in 4.6.2.

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 04:39:45 PM »

I still cannot reproduce the problem.  I saw your crop on the photo.  I dragged it to the upper left of the preview.  Nothing changed to the aspect ratio of the crop.  I dragged it to all four corners, and the four edges and again nothing changed.  I tried hiding the rest of the UI, turning on RAW rendering, zooming in at 100% and I still couldn't reproduce the issue.

Are you running version 4.6.2.1?  This issue existed in earlier 4.6.x versions but was fixed in 4.6.2.

-Kirk

Strange. I will download PM 4.6.2.1 and double check this issue.
Allways shooting RAW.

Offline craig pulsifer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 05:18:44 PM »
BUMPING this thread...
szurkebarat - did you ever figure this out?

We've started experiencing trouble with the cropping marquee not holding a landscape orientation. When we move a crop marquee flush against the upper edge of the frame and release the left mouse button, the landscape crop will immediately switch to portrait orientation (with a height equal to that of the intended landscape). 

Occurs repeatedly with CR2 files from Canon 5D, Canon 1Ds Mark III ... but does NOT occur with CR2 files from the Canon 5D Mark II. 
Does NOT occur with JPG files from any of these cameras.

Thanks,
Craig

PM 4.6.4; MBP 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; 4 Gb; 1067 MHz DDR3; OS X 10.5.8

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2010, 05:53:35 PM »
Craig,

We've started experiencing trouble with the cropping marquee not holding a landscape orientation. When we move a crop marquee flush against the upper edge of the frame and release the left mouse button, the landscape crop will immediately switch to portrait orientation (with a height equal to that of the intended landscape). 

Occurs repeatedly with CR2 files from Canon 5D, Canon 1Ds Mark III ... but does NOT occur with CR2 files from the Canon 5D Mark II. 
Does NOT occur with JPG files from any of these cameras.

If you can get me a sample image that I can use to reproduce this problem, I will fix it.

-Kirk

EDIT: Craig helped me reproduce the problem and it has been fixed in the 4.6.4.1 version (currently in beta, available in the Announcements section of the forums.)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 06:56:32 AM by Kirk Baker »