Author Topic: DVD Burning  (Read 2584 times)

Offline billy3220

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
DVD Burning
« on: November 16, 2009, 10:32:10 AM »
Is it possible to make DVD burning a background feature like ingesting images. I use PM everyday, almost all day, but it sucks when I have to burn DVDs and the program is locked to only burning. PM won't allow me to use the program for its other features. An example is when I ingest pictures I can do so in the background while I continue editing other work. But that's not possible while Burning DVDs.

Thanks,

-Nick

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: DVD Burning
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 11:20:14 AM »
Nick,

Is it possible to make DVD burning a background feature like ingesting images. I use PM everyday, almost all day, but it sucks when I have to burn DVDs and the program is locked to only burning. PM won't allow me to use the program for its other features. An example is when I ingest pictures I can do so in the background while I continue editing other work. But that's not possible while Burning DVDs.

We do this to keep failures from happening.  If we let you continue using PM, you could easily change the photos that are being burned and this would cause the burn to fail.  Yes, you can simply switch to another application and make modifications to files or delete them which would also cause the burn to fail.  But we can't stop you from doing that.

The only safe way to allow you to use PM in this case would be to copy all of the files to a temporary location, burn them from there and then delete the copies.  This would make the procedure slower, and would require having enough space on your hard drive for a duplicate set of images.

For these reasons, disc burning will continue to operate the way it does for the foreseeable future.

-Kirk