Author Topic: Why do I have to reboot my W7 PC to do an upgrade?  (Read 5033 times)

Offline jonmcg

• View Profile
Why do I have to reboot my W7 PC to do an upgrade?
« on: November 17, 2009, 07:35:48 AM »
I have searched but found nothing.
Every time I upgrade PM it tells me it is runing (it isn't) and I can only update if I rebbot and do the upgrade before opening PM.
Or what do I have to kill to allow the upgrade without a reboot?

Offline JAS Photo

• View Profile
    • JAS Photo LLC
Re: Why do I have to reboot my W7 PC to do an upgrade?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 08:39:09 AM »
I've had the same issue on Vista 64 and XP. PM's install tells me PM is still running. after I've closed it. I have noticed if I wait a long time - instead of rebooting - it will see PM is no longer running.

Joe
Joe Sorrentino
JAS Photo LLC
http://www.JASPhoto.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 08:49:09 AM »
I have searched but found nothing.
Every time I upgrade PM it tells me it is runing (it isn't) and I can only update if I rebbot and do the upgrade before opening PM.
Or what do I have to kill to allow the upgrade without a reboot?

It is likely that you have some window open that has the name "Photo Mechanic" in it.  If you close the window(s) then the installer will allow you to try again.

-Kirk

Offline JAS Photo

• View Profile
    • JAS Photo LLC
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 11:29:09 AM »
Kirk - With installing all the beta versions - I'm sure that is not the issue. I've even gone into task manager to see if PM is still listed there - and it wasn't. but the installer still said PM IS running.
Joe Sorrentino
JAS Photo LLC
http://www.JASPhoto.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 11:32:15 AM »
Joe,

Kirk - With installing all the beta versions - I'm sure that is not the issue. I've even gone into task manager to see if PM is still listed there - and it wasn't. but the installer still said PM IS running.

The code in the installer looks for any window besides the installer's window that has the title "Photo Mechanic" in it.  That's just what it does.  If restarting your system fixes the issue then there had to be a window open (possibly minimized) that has that title in it.

I run the installer all the time on my systems and I never have to reboot.  I also don't have any windows open with "Photo Mechanic" in their titles.

-Kirk

Offline jonmcg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 03:58:12 AM »
Kirk,
If it is failing because there is (in my case only IE was running) a window open that has PM in it then your wording should be more helpful.

Offline NeilR

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 02:47:20 AM »
This is an old topic but this is an old but recurring problem.

After having been "forced to reboot" since around the time this thread was started I discovered that the offending window is the PM download window.  I for one would click into that window, linked from the announcement email (forum subscription), download the update and then click the download file to update.  All that is needed is for that web page to be closed but figuring it out took a couple years  >:(

I think it would be most helpful if Kirk and crew either renamed that window such that it does not trip the install test, filtered web windows from the test, or at the very least add some text to the "error message" to suggest closing any web pages related to CameraBits, including the download page.  It will save a lot of grief.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 10:38:49 AM »
Neil,

This is an old topic but this is an old but recurring problem.

After having been "forced to reboot" since around the time this thread was started I discovered that the offending window is the PM download window.  I for one would click into that window, linked from the announcement email (forum subscription), download the update and then click the download file to update.  All that is needed is for that web page to be closed but figuring it out took a couple years  >:(

I think it would be most helpful if Kirk and crew either renamed that window such that it does not trip the install test, filtered web windows from the test, or at the very least add some text to the "error message" to suggest closing any web pages related to CameraBits, including the download page.  It will save a lot of grief.

Jerry made changes to the download archives page to eliminate this issue.  If you see some other web page of ours that has 'Photo Mechanic' in it, please post the URL of the page.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline NeilR

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2011, 11:02:11 AM »
Thanks, Kirk.  You guys rock!

Offline NeilR

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2011, 12:41:42 AM »
Hi Kirk,

The page that caught me, and I suspect most everyone else, is the announcements topic because that is the page that the announcement forum subscription links to:

http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=6408.0

This page still stops the install.  Considering that the browser adopts the topic heading as a "window name" (at least Chrome does) you may need to get creative with those release announcement topic headings.

Best,
Neil

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2011, 06:21:27 AM »
Neil,

The page that caught me, and I suspect most everyone else, is the announcements topic because that is the page that the announcement forum subscription links to:

http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=6408.0

This page still stops the install.  Considering that the browser adopts the topic heading as a "window name" (at least Chrome does) you may need to get creative with those release announcement topic headings.

I never thought of that.  I'll keep that in mind for further announcements.

-Kirk