Author Topic: Keyword questions  (Read 3928 times)

Offline Lars

• View Profile
    • DESGphoto / elementalSPORTS
Keyword questions
« on: November 18, 2009, 12:16:07 AM »
Hi,

I have some questions to the keywords and hope that somebody can help, please:

1. I have added keywords in Lightroom to an image. When I now show the image in PM I can see the keywords. So far so good. But why aren't these keywords shown when I open the structured keyword panel (keyword catalog is the same). Is there any way to "import" the keywords from an image into PM?

2. when having structured keywords, I would like to write only the "leaf" of the path into the caption when saving the image in PM. Is there any way to do that?

3. last but not least - not keywords but the crop - is there any option to set the opacity of the cropped part of the image?

questions over questions  :-\

Thanks for your help,
and best regards,
Lars

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Keyword questions
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 06:40:53 AM »
Lars,

1. I have added keywords in Lightroom to an image. When I now show the image in PM I can see the keywords. So far so good. But why aren't these keywords shown when I open the structured keyword panel (keyword catalog is the same). Is there any way to "import" the keywords from an image into PM?

No.

Quote from: Lars
2. when having structured keywords, I would like to write only the "leaf" of the path into the caption when saving the image in PM. Is there any way to do that?

No.

3. last but not least - not keywords but the crop - is there any option to set the opacity of the cropped part of the image?

No.

I'm sorry I have no "yes and here is how you do that" answers to your questions.

-Kirk

Offline Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 07:50:24 AM »
Lars,

No.

No.

No.

I'm sorry I have no "yes and here is how you do that" answers to your questions.

-Kirk

Kirk,

that is really pitty  ;)

Could you imagine to put these features on your "todo" list, because I guess that it would really useful for many photographers...?!

Lars

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 09:17:16 AM »
Lars,

No.

No.

No.

that is really pitty  ;)

Could you imagine to put these features on your "todo" list, because I guess that it would really useful for many photographers...?!

For request #1, I don't see how it is possible for a column view (like the one used in the Structured Keywords panel/dialog) can show multiple keyword paths at the same time.  So your request cannot be coded into a working user interface given the restriction that the Structured Keywords panel uses a column view.

For request #2, why do you need to bother using a hierarchical keywording system at all when you don't want to apply the hierarchy?  Why not just use the flat keyword system that already exists?

Request #3 has been made many times.  We'll get to that feature at some point.

-Kirk

Offline Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 10:45:04 PM »
Kirk,

#1 - why isn't it possible to code. I would guess that the only thing that is need is to take the hierarchical keywords stored by Lightroom and match them to the PM column view. e.g: a|b|c would be column1 -> column2 -> column3. And if a keyword in that view does not exists, it could be created, automatically

#2 - in prinicple you are right, but (I don't know how it is in other countries), but agencies in Germany don't use the IPTC keyword fields. All information need to be stored inside the caption (terrible but true). Finally, it is much easier to add pre-defined keywords to an image then writing the caption again and again. The disadvantage is, that I have to add the important keywords now to the caption. For example my structure look like:

sport|country|athlet|gender|name

The only real relevant information for the caption would now be the name. I know that I'm able to add single structured keywords to the caption when using the structured keyword panel. But most times I use LR for assiging the keywords, because the tree view and the keyword mechanisms are more compfortable, then the column view (especially on small displays)... sorry ;-)

regards,
Lars

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 11:27:15 PM »
Lars,

#1 - why isn't it possible to code. I would guess that the only thing that is need is to take the hierarchical keywords stored by Lightroom and match them to the PM column view. e.g: a|b|c would be column1 -> column2 -> column3. And if a keyword in that view does not exists, it could be created, automatically

Showing a single path is easy.  But a single photo can have more than one keyword path, possibly hundreds of paths.  A column view can only show one path at a time.

#2 - in prinicple you are right, but (I don't know how it is in other countries), but agencies in Germany don't use the IPTC keyword fields. All information need to be stored inside the caption (terrible but true). Finally, it is much easier to add pre-defined keywords to an image then writing the caption again and again. The disadvantage is, that I have to add the important keywords now to the caption. For example my structure look like:

sport|country|athlet|gender|name

The only real relevant information for the caption would now be the name. I know that I'm able to add single structured keywords to the caption when using the structured keyword panel. But most times I use LR for assiging the keywords, because the tree view and the keyword mechanisms are more compfortable, then the column view (especially on small displays)... sorry ;-)

If you put hierarchical keywords only into the Caption field, the hierarchical relationships are not preserved: they're just a bunch of words in a single long sentence.  It's too bad that your agencies don't want to use keywords how they were intended to be used.

-Kirk