Author Topic: Code replacement only working on 1 image  (Read 4166 times)

Offline dj

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Code replacement only working on 1 image
« on: November 18, 2009, 10:34:55 AM »
 PM 4.6.2, Mac OS 10.5.7

In the contact sheet I choose 4 images, then go to the IPTC info, type in my info in the caption and keywords but it only sticks to one image (always the last one). How do I get the caption and keywords to stay on all 4 images?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Code replacement only working on 1 image
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 01:57:20 PM »
PM 4.6.2, Mac OS 10.5.7

In the contact sheet I choose 4 images, then go to the IPTC info, type in my info in the caption and keywords but it only sticks to one image (always the last one). How do I get the caption and keywords to stay on all 4 images?

Use the IPTC Stationery Pad instead of the IPTC Info dialog.

-Kirk

Offline dj

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 05:11:10 AM »
But that applies it to every image in the folder.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 06:34:23 AM »
But that applies it to every image in the folder.

True.  Perhaps I misunderstood your situation.  Are you typing different information into each image's IPTC Info?  How are you advancing from one image in your selection to the next?

-Kirk

Offline dj

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2009, 07:45:52 AM »
In the contact sheet I choose 3 images of Mary Smith. If I bring up the Stationery pad and type in Mary Smith in the caption, it will show Mary Smith for all the photos. The only solution I have found is to bring up a photo in the IPTC, input the caption info, copy, then go to the next photo and paste & save. Just seems like it would be easier to select the 3 images and have the IPTC info stick to all 3 photos - as in Lightroom.

It's a dilemma for me. I love the code replacement because I do a lot of events that require input of names but I'm not convinced that the paste & save in PM is faster than actually typing the name into Lightroom but having it stick to multiple images.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 08:34:51 AM »
In the contact sheet I choose 3 images of Mary Smith. If I bring up the Stationery pad and type in Mary Smith in the caption, it will show Mary Smith for all the photos. The only solution I have found is to bring up a photo in the IPTC, input the caption info, copy, then go to the next photo and paste & save. Just seems like it would be easier to select the 3 images and have the IPTC info stick to all 3 photos - as in Lightroom.

It's a dilemma for me. I love the code replacement because I do a lot of events that require input of names but I'm not convinced that the paste & save in PM is faster than actually typing the name into Lightroom but having it stick to multiple images.

That's exactly what the IPTC Stationery Pad is for.  If you want the same caption (and other fields) to be applied to a set of files, use the IPTC Stationery Pad.  Any fields that you don't want to be updated to have the same contents should be unchecked.  The IPTC Stationery Pad will make any fields that have their 'apply' check boxes set apply to all selected photos.

Does that make sense?

-Kirk

Offline dj

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2009, 11:21:50 AM »
Either I haven't explained myself very well or I'm doing something wrong in the stationery pad. Say I have 10 images in a folder. Images 1,2,3 are of Mary Smith. When I select those images (by clicking on the image itself or with the check mark) in the contact sheet, bring up the stationery pad and type in Mary Smith in the caption, Mary Smith shows up in the caption of ALL 10 images in spite of the fact that images 4,5, & 6 are of Joe Jones. Am I doing something wrong?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2009, 12:34:02 PM »
Either I haven't explained myself very well or I'm doing something wrong in the stationery pad. Say I have 10 images in a folder. Images 1,2,3 are of Mary Smith. When I select those images (by clicking on the image itself or with the check mark) in the contact sheet, bring up the stationery pad and type in Mary Smith in the caption, Mary Smith shows up in the caption of ALL 10 images in spite of the fact that images 4,5, & 6 are of Joe Jones. Am I doing something wrong?

Select the three pictures of Mary Smith and then use the "IPTC Stationery Pad" menu item on the "Image" menu.  Enter your IPTC information that is common among the three pictures.  Uncheck any IPTC fields that you don't want to apply.  Apply the IPTC Stationery Pad.

Then select the three pictures of Joe Jones and do the same thing but enter information about Joe Jones.

The bulk apply feature cannot tell that you only want to apply IPTC information to three of six selected images.

HTH,

-Kirk