Author Topic: XML Keywords are not read on Mac  (Read 5567 times)

Offline Lars

• View Profile
    • DESGphoto / elementalSPORTS
XML Keywords are not read on Mac
« on: November 20, 2009, 04:29:41 AM »
Hello,

I guess I've found a bug within the Mac Version of PM:
- I've wrote my keywords with Lightroom
- open PM 4.6.2 on PC and the keywords will be shown as expected
- open PM 4.6.2 on Mac 10.6 and the keywords are empty

The settings on Mac and PC are the same (read XMP sidecar before embedded IPTC before XMP embedded). All files are stored on a NAS and it looks like that PM does not read and/or interprets the entire XMP file. Some images have also a crop made with PM and some other IPTC/XMP metadata. These values are shown on Mac and PC. Only the keywords are missing on the Mac.

Or do I anything wrong?

Regards,
Lars

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: XML Keywords are not read on Mac
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 06:31:26 AM »
Lars,

I guess I've found a bug within the Mac Version of PM:
- I've wrote my keywords with Lightroom
- open PM 4.6.2 on PC and the keywords will be shown as expected
- open PM 4.6.2 on Mac 10.6 and the keywords are empty

The settings on Mac and PC are the same (read XMP sidecar before embedded IPTC before XMP embedded). All files are stored on a NAS and it looks like that PM does not read and/or interprets the entire XMP file. Some images have also a crop made with PM and some other IPTC/XMP metadata. These values are shown on Mac and PC. Only the keywords are missing on the Mac.

Or do I anything wrong?

Honestly, I'd have to have some sample files from you.  The Mac and Windows version of Photo Mechanic both use the exact same code to read metadata from files.  Does it make any difference if you copy the files from the NAS to your Mac's local hard drive?

-Kirk

Offline Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 07:05:51 AM »
Honestly, I'd have to have some sample files from you.  The Mac and Windows version of Photo Mechanic both use the exact same code to read metadata from files.  Does it make any difference if you copy the files from the NAS to your Mac's local hard drive?

Kirk,

yes it makes a difference. I've copied some files from the NAS to my local drive and PM shows me the keywords. Then I've opened another contact sheet on my NAS (with the same files) and the keywords are gone... Do you have any idea, why and how to solve?

regards,
Lars

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 07:31:32 AM »
Lars,

yes it makes a difference. I've copied some files from the NAS to my local drive and PM shows me the keywords. Then I've opened another contact sheet on my NAS (with the same files) and the keywords are gone... Do you have any idea, why and how to solve?

Does your NAS have a case-sensitive file system on it?  Most file systems are case-preserving but not case-sensitive.  PM will have issues on case-sensitive file systems.  But I would expect the same behavior for the Windows version which you state does work properly.

What would be an example of the file names for the image and the xmp file?  Just write them down in your response, please.

-Kirk

Offline Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 07:41:51 AM »
Does your NAS have a case-sensitive file system on it?  Most file systems are case-preserving but not case-sensitive.  PM will have issues on case-sensitive file systems.  But I would expect the same behavior for the Windows version which you state does work properly.

What would be an example of the file names for the image and the xmp file?  Just write them down in your response, please.

Filenames are all in format: YYYY-MM-DD-XXXX.nef and YYYY-MM-DD-XXXX.xmp i.e. 2009-11-13-0001.nef and 2009-11-13-0001.xmp. As far as I checked, all filenames are in lower cases.

I'm not sure whether the NAS itself is case-senisitive, but under MacOS I cannot access files with wrong written cases, e.g. 2009-11-13-0001.xmp will work, 2009-11-13-0001.XMP doesn't work. Tested in the terminal.

What else is to say: the directories contain spaces in their names. In example for the structure is:
"/Volumes/archive/2009/2009-11-15 - 2. Worldcup 2009-2010/2009-11-15-0001.xmp". The NAS is mounted via AFP.

Lars

Offline Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 07:44:49 AM »
update: I tested to mount the NAS via SMB and everything works fine now (but slow) - the keywords are appearing...
Strange, isn't it?!

Lars

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 07:58:43 AM »
Lars,

update: I tested to mount the NAS via SMB and everything works fine now (but slow) - the keywords are appearing...
Strange, isn't it?!

No, I expected this.  If you were to change your file name extension on the XMP files from .xmp to .XMP, and then reconnected to the NAS using AFP then the metadata contained in the XMP sidecar files would show up.

We'll have to address this in Photo Mechanic in an update.

-Kirk

Offline Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2009, 08:02:53 AM »
No, I expected this.  If you were to change your file name extension on the XMP files from .xmp to .XMP, and then reconnected to the NAS using AFP then the metadata contained in the XMP sidecar files would show up.

We'll have to address this in Photo Mechanic in an update.

Hmm, but I haven't changed anything on the NAS. I changed only one file for testing, but tried it with various others too. Nevertheless, it's good to know how to work-arround until the next update will come and address this issue.

Thanks, Kirk