Author Topic: Bug in star-rating  (Read 3110 times)

Offline Lars

• View Profile
    • DESGphoto / elementalSPORTS
Bug in star-rating
« on: November 21, 2009, 12:25:43 AM »
Hi Kirk,

since a couple of weeks I've noticed some problems with the star-rating in combination with MAC/PC and LR. Following scenario:
- ingest images (NEF) on the Mac
- make star-rating on the Mac
- copy files to PC or NAS
- import NEFs into Lightroom

Now sometimes it happens that LR tells, that a file could not be read and seems to be corrupt.

After a long time of searching I found out that it has something to do with the star-rating (made with PM). When removing the star-rating from the "corrupt" image files, these files can be read into LR and everything seems to be fine again.

Do you already know about this problem? The strange thing is, that there seems to be no scheme when this problem happens and when not and only a few files are affected.

Greetings,
Lars

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Bug in star-rating
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 07:07:45 AM »
Lars,

since a couple of weeks I've noticed some problems with the star-rating in combination with MAC/PC and LR. Following scenario:
- ingest images (NEF) on the Mac
- make star-rating on the Mac
- copy files to PC or NAS
- import NEFs into Lightroom

Now sometimes it happens that LR tells, that a file could not be read and seems to be corrupt.

After a long time of searching I found out that it has something to do with the star-rating (made with PM). When removing the star-rating from the "corrupt" image files, these files can be read into LR and everything seems to be fine again.

Do you already know about this problem? The strange thing is, that there seems to be no scheme when this problem happens and when not and only a few files are affected.

I have never heard of this problem before.  I'd like to see one of these "corrupt" files.  We use Adobe's toolkit to read and write XMP data so I'm surprised that there could be a problem.

Please send me one of those files.

-Kirk

Offline Lars

• View Profile
    • DESGphoto / elementalSPORTS
Re: Bug in star-rating
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 04:16:56 AM »
I have never heard of this problem before.  I'd like to see one of these "corrupt" files.  We use Adobe's toolkit to read and write XMP data so I'm surprised that there could be a problem.

Please send me one of those files.

Kirk,

actually, I have alreday fixed all of these files but when it happens the next time I will send it to you. What I have noticed is, that in the Windows Explorer these files are shown with different amount of stars then in PM - e.g. Explorer shows 0 stars and PM shows one star. When I change the star rating in PM now, everything is fine in PM and in the Explorer and I can open the files again (e.g. in Lightroom).

The used workflow when the problem happened is/was:
- ingest all files on a MacBook
- rate all "good" images with 1 star
- copy the "good" images to my NAS
- import the images from my NAS into LR on my PC
- now LR tells me that some files could not be read. Also within the Explorer on my PC and in the Finder on my Mac these files cannot be read anymore until I changed the rating in PM

Lars