Author Topic: Clearing Selected IPTC Fields  (Read 4441 times)

Offline afengler

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Clearing Selected IPTC Fields
« on: November 21, 2009, 07:34:26 PM »
I am working with JPG files with embedded IPTC and XMP metadata. PM 4.6.2, Windows Vista 64 Home Premium SP2.

What is the correct procedure to clear selected IPTC fields?
If only only image is involved I can use the IPTC Info Panel, hit 'clear' to empty all fields and then load an appropriate IPTC snapshot.
Everything is fine, only the new values from the snapshot appear in the image metadata.

I would have expected that for multiple selected images the use of the IPTC Stationery Pad works the same way, but after hitting
'clear' and then applying the IPTC Stationery Pad, the old fields contain their original values unless the Stationery Pad explicitly
overwrites them with new values. What am I missing here?

Alf

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Clearing Selected IPTC Fields
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 08:49:58 PM »
Alf,

I am working with JPG files with embedded IPTC and XMP metadata. PM 4.6.2, Windows Vista 64 Home Premium SP2.

What is the correct procedure to clear selected IPTC fields?
If only only image is involved I can use the IPTC Info Panel, hit 'clear' to empty all fields and then load an appropriate IPTC snapshot.
Everything is fine, only the new values from the snapshot appear in the image metadata.

I would have expected that for multiple selected images the use of the IPTC Stationery Pad works the same way, but after hitting
'clear' and then applying the IPTC Stationery Pad, the old fields contain their original values unless the Stationery Pad explicitly
overwrites them with new values. What am I missing here?

Make any fields you want to clear blank.  Then check their 'apply' check boxes.  Uncheck any check boxes you don't want to change in your images.  Then apply the IPTC Stationery Pad.

-Kirk

Offline afengler

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 09:41:39 PM »
Thanks, Kirk, for the quick response. Somehow it was not intuitively clear to me that to clear a field you had to explicitly 'apply' a blank field. It makes perfect sense now.

Alf

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2009, 07:30:39 AM »
To add to this topic there has been a feature request for a long time to add a button or shortcut that allows select and deselect all fields for a more easy way to use the fields of the IPTC Stationery Pannel. I still hope this will be implemented some time soon.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com