Author Topic: FTPing from IPTC  (Read 14719 times)

Offline Matt London

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
FTPing from IPTC
« on: November 25, 2009, 06:13:17 AM »
Is it possible to create a way to hit send and then ftp the picture straight from it's iptc info box, rather than having to close the iptc info field after writing your caption and then having to go into the file uploader box to send the pic?

Could a new icon with the word 'Send' and a blue background be placed in the space to the left of the 'Cancel' Icon on the bottom right-hand-side of the iptc info box.

This would save time sending from sports events.  Maybe it could be a customizable option.

Thanks Matt
Photo Mechanic Enterprise Version 6.0, build 4851. OSX 10.15.6, MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015), 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3.

Offline nmf

• View Profile
Re: FTPing from IPTC
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 02:11:26 AM »
I think I have seconded (thirded, fourthed or whatever) this suggestion in the past but will do so again as I know for me at least it would be a very useful feature.

Thanks

Offline tkorol

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 01:17:05 PM »
I too have requested this in the past. This would be one of the most time saving features I can think of in PM. :)

Thanks
Todd

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 04:02:52 PM »
Is it possible to create a way to hit send and then ftp the picture straight from it's iptc info box, rather than having to close the iptc info field after writing your caption and then having to go into the file uploader box to send the pic?

It is not possible. However it is possible on the other way around getting you exactly where you want to be.

The IPTC Info panel is for adding IPTC Info to files, nothing more.

But if you select your images for FTPing and you add your IPTC text in the FTP dialog then all you have to do after this is to press send and the files start to upload.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Online Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 04:55:18 PM »
Szurkebarat,

It is not possible. However it is possible on the other way around getting you exactly where you want to be.

The IPTC Info panel is for adding IPTC Info to files, nothing more.

But if you select your images for FTPing and you add your IPTC text in the FTP dialog then all you have to do after this is to press send and the files start to upload.

I think you're a bit confused here.  What the request is for is for us to add another button or two that will save the IPTC changes and then add the image to the current upload queue.  The Uploader dialog only allows you to apply IPTC Stationery to the files as they're going out.

The request can be implemented and is being considered.

-Kirk

Offline dsidaway

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 01:38:21 PM »
Currently command-U brings the FTP uploader screen and then a second action is required (the enter key). What if command-shift-U brought up the FTP uploader screen for setup and command-U simply initiated the upload with what ever settings were last left on the uploader screen... and a button on the browser window bar for those who are not keyboard friendly.
DS

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 01:57:30 PM »
Currently command-U brings the FTP uploader screen and then a second action is required (the enter key). What if command-shift-U brought up the FTP uploader screen for setup and command-U simply initiated the upload with what ever settings were last left on the uploader screen... and a button on the browser window bar for those who are not keyboard friendly.

If you've already got an upload queue started (even if it is finished but hasn't been closed) then with a single photo selected Shift-U (Windows) or Option-U (Mac) will add the photo to the queue and it will be sent with no further user interaction.

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 06:35:03 PM »

If you've already got an upload queue started (even if it is finished but hasn't been closed) then with a single photo selected Shift-U (Windows) or Option-U (Mac) will add the photo to the queue and it will be sent with no further user interaction.

-Kirk

What if one has more than one upload queues opened? Will it add to all of them, or will it ask for user interaction to choose one?
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 07:46:24 PM »

What if one has more than one upload queues opened? Will it add to all of them, or will it ask for user interaction to choose one?

It should upload with the last created queue.

-Kirk

Offline Dougmc

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2010, 08:38:44 PM »
In an effort to keep this concept alive, I am going to keep this thread alive by voicing my hope that a new button is added to the IPTC Info dialogue box that saves, adds the image to the active FTP queue, then moves onto the next image. Just in a basic scenario of sending a dozen images from a game on deadline, this would be tremendous in getting images to the desk quickly and efficiently. In essence allowing you to do two things as once—caption and send simultaneously.

I'm hopeful that I've not missed this feature being added to the latest greatest version released today.

Viva PM!

Offline MGentryphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2010, 08:23:12 PM »
ANy word on if this feature will be coming soon??

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2010, 09:50:03 PM »
ANy word on if this feature will be coming soon??

Not soon, no.  The next major version may have that feature implemented in it, but it is too soon to tell at this point since we're just getting started on it.

-Kirk

Offline heavymeister

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2010, 03:27:26 PM »
I second that request too. Getty Images have a similar feature in their GIFT software. It allows you to add a picture to the ftp-queue after finishing captioning and hitting the send button.

HM

Offline hsaphoto

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2010, 09:04:16 AM »
I also add my voice to such a feature.

When on a deadline and having to add specific info (player's name) in each IPTC window, having a button to add the picture to the FTP queue would be great.

Hugo Aubert
www.igraphmedia.com
PM 4.6.6 on MacPro and MacBookPro 10.5.8

Offline Didz

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2011, 10:18:50 AM »
bump

I'm also interested in this feature

Didier

http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=6762.0