Author Topic: Keyboard shortcuts  (Read 15360 times)

Offline Lars

• View Profile
    • DESGphoto / elementalSPORTS
Keyboard shortcuts
« on: November 26, 2009, 05:56:08 AM »
Hello,

is there any way to redefine some keyboard shortcuts to user needs? For example: the german version of the 13" MacBook Pro does not have a "]" key. The user has to press ALT+6 to access this sign. But in the IPTC Info panel I need the "]" to save and move to the next image  >:(
But CMD+ALT+6 does not work and would be also to complicated.

For my personal use I would like to see just the CMD+Arrow to save and move to the next image because usually I always save my changes and this shortcut would be the fastest way. Of course other users will have other need...

Is there any way or config-file where it is possible to change some keyboard shortcuts?

Thanks and regards,
Lars

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Keyboard shortcuts
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 06:38:08 AM »
Lars,

is there any way to redefine some keyboard shortcuts to user needs? For example: the german version of the 13" MacBook Pro does not have a "]" key. The user has to press ALT+6 to access this sign. But in the IPTC Info panel I need the "]" to save and move to the next image  >:(
But CMD+ALT+6 does not work and would be also to complicated.

For my personal use I would like to see just the CMD+Arrow to save and move to the next image because usually I always save my changes and this shortcut would be the fastest way. Of course other users will have other need...

Is there any way or config-file where it is possible to change some keyboard shortcuts?

No, not at this time.  And Command+Arrow keys moves the cursor around in a text field.  That's an Apple standard that has been around for as long as I can remember.

-Kirk

Offline Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 06:47:40 AM »
No, not at this time.  And Command+Arrow keys moves the cursor around in a text field.  That's an Apple standard that has been around for as long as I can remember.

Then maybe not Command+Arrow but anything other  ;) That was just an example  :P

The real problem is that the current keyboard shortcut is not really accessible...

Lars

Offline miles

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 07:20:07 AM »
yep same here, would be nice if there could be a workaround in future versions adressing that problem?!

greets
miles

Offline kobold

• View Profile
    • foto-kobold.de
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 07:51:52 AM »
same to me, I gave up to use the ]-keys within PM on my (german) Mac  :'(

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 08:32:27 AM »
Klaus, Lars, and Miles,

same to me, I gave up to use the ]-keys within PM on my (german) Mac  :'(

Please suggest some alternatives that won't interfere with standard editing features.

-Kirk

Offline Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2009, 12:37:08 AM »
Klaus, Lars, and Miles,

Please suggest some alternatives that won't interfere with standard editing features.

I don't know all keyboard shortcuts in use. But in general it would be nice to have a simple key-combination, like "CMD-#".

Lars

Offline Pavel

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2009, 06:52:00 AM »
The Mac supports remapping keys or key combinations in the system preferences/keyboard/keyboard shortcuts.  Just change the combo the OS uses and it should be fine.
I used to assign my middle mouse button for the cmd-] shortcut as it was far faster to use, and that works very well for me.

Offline Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2009, 07:19:10 AM »
The Mac supports remapping keys or key combinations in the system preferences/keyboard/keyboard shortcuts.  Just change the combo the OS uses and it should be fine.
I used to assign my middle mouse button for the cmd-] shortcut as it was far faster to use, and that works very well for me.

Thanks for this excellent hint! But one question: when triying to create a new shortcup the system dialog asks for the correct name of this option. I allready tried to enter the text which appears when the mouse over is over the button and just "Save & ARROW" - but this failed. Do you know the correct terminology for this function?

Thanks,
Lars
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 07:46:29 AM by Lars »

Offline Pavel

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2009, 08:18:40 AM »
Lars, I would go to the keyboard shortcuts control panel and click on the add button.  Then I would all applications where it is the default beside to top pull down labeled "aplication".  I would then reference photomechanic's menu for the correct terminology, which in this case I can't look up as I am at work and my licence for this box has not arrived yet (should actually be later today).  I can't remember what it is but you can look through the top menu bar in PM for it.  With that name in then simply put the keyboard combo in the last box - and hopefully that will solve the issue.  :)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2009, 08:27:27 AM »
Pavel,

Lars, I would go to the keyboard shortcuts control panel and click on the add button.  Then I would all applications where it is the default beside to top pull down labeled "aplication".  I would then reference photomechanic's menu for the correct terminology, which in this case I can't look up as I am at work and my licence for this box has not arrived yet (should actually be later today).  I can't remember what it is but you can look through the top menu bar in PM for it.  With that name in then simply put the keyboard combo in the last box - and hopefully that will solve the issue.  :)

There are no menu items for the keyboard shortcuts in the IPTC Info dialog.  These are keyboard shortcuts assigned to buttons only.  I don't think the keyboard shortcut remapping you described will work.

-Kirk

Offline Pavel

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2009, 08:31:51 AM »
Thanks Kirk.  At home I use the software that came with my logitech mouse to map one of the buttons to the keyboard combo and that does work.  I did not think of that, that it was not a menu item.

I wonder if some of the old keyboard mapping software that I used to use under os9 is still being made.  That worked more on the macro idea where it would capture a set of key-strokes.  I will look around.

Offline Pavel

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2009, 08:37:13 AM »
I wonder if this idea can be of use to you Lars.  In the preferences/keyboards tab (where you have the key repeat rate) there is a button that is labeled " modifier Keys " what it does is let you remap the modifier keys ... but only to the function of other modifier keys.  I doubt it is what you seek ... but I thought I'd just throw it out there, just in case.  Good luck.

Offline Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2009, 09:51:17 AM »
Hi Pavel and Kirk,

it does not work in any way  >:(

@Kirk: what do you think about to bind the IPTC Info buttons to the menu so that the shortcut can be modified via the system preferences? I would guess that it is an elegant way to modify the shortcuts without having impacts to users that are used to work with the CMD-] shortcut.

regards,
Lars

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2009, 10:18:17 AM »
Lars,

@Kirk: what do you think about to bind the IPTC Info buttons to the menu so that the shortcut can be modified via the system preferences? I would guess that it is an elegant way to modify the shortcuts without having impacts to users that are used to work with the CMD-] shortcut.

Modal dialogs do not have their own menu items.  They will react to common menu items like Cut, Copy, and Paste, but they do not have their own menu items.

Is it difficult to suggest keyboard shortcuts that will work well for you on your keyboard?  That would be the most simple and straightforward way to solve this issue at this time.

-Kirk