Author Topic: Networking issues  (Read 1796 times)

Offline Tony Panzica

• Newcomer
  • Professional Photographer since 1995
    • View Profile
Networking issues
« on: December 01, 2009, 12:05:36 PM »
Hi, I am a loyal Photo Mech user for several years now.  Love the robustness and speed.  I am an event shooter using your software for hockey tournament preview stations.  I have several mac minis and Imacs along with 1 g5 pre intel and a new power mac.  i use the power mac and g5 as "servers" not really and the others as viewing stations for customers.  I am running Photo Mechanic version 4.6.1 and I run Mac OS X 10.5.8 on my Intel-based Mac.  I do use Simple finder on the viewing stations, it basically limits the permissions and I viewers can only access photo mechanic.  A secondary hard drive on power macs has all the photos, it is shared, and set to Read only.   

Because of the nature of event shooting and hockey families many people use my computers.  it is virtually impossible to police every customer.  What happens is some kids will rotate images, very annoying.  I will have to go
into main mac and re-orient each photo the brat rotated.  Being nice here, lol.  Also, some parents are clueless on using a mac, and inadvertently drag folders into others causing huge problems.  I then have to go into main mac again, and put the folders back in their original location.  I shoot 60-80 games a tournament, and have them separated by day and game #.

DO you have any suggestions to eliminate these issues?

tonypanzica@roadrunner.com, actionphotos.net
Tony Panzica
tonypanzica@gmail.com
http://www.actionphotos.net

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Networking issues
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 01:15:40 PM »
Tony,

Hi, I am a loyal Photo Mech user for several years now.  Love the robustness and speed.  I am an event shooter using your software for hockey tournament preview stations.  I have several mac minis and Imacs along with 1 g5 pre intel and a new power mac.  i use the power mac and g5 as "servers" not really and the others as viewing stations for customers.  I am running Photo Mechanic version 4.6.1 and I run Mac OS X 10.5.8 on my Intel-based Mac.  I do use Simple finder on the viewing stations, it basically limits the permissions and I viewers can only access photo mechanic.  A secondary hard drive on power macs has all the photos, it is shared, and set to Read only.   

Because of the nature of event shooting and hockey families many people use my computers.  it is virtually impossible to police every customer.  What happens is some kids will rotate images, very annoying.  I will have to go
into main mac and re-orient each photo the brat rotated.  Being nice here, lol.  Also, some parents are clueless on using a mac, and inadvertently drag folders into others causing huge problems.  I then have to go into main mac again, and put the folders back in their original location.  I shoot 60-80 games a tournament, and have them separated by day and game #.

DO you have any suggestions to eliminate these issues?

No, not really.  What you really need is for Photo Mechanic itself to have limits on what it is allowed to do, kind of like a kiosk computer would do.  This type of feature has been requested in the past but interest in it wasn't judged high enough for implementation.

Otherwise I could suggest exporting the games to a web gallery and only allow Safari to be used on each system, letting them only browse the galleries.

-Kirk