Author Topic: Shorter Stationary Pad Box  (Read 4244 times)

Offline nharnik

• View Profile
Shorter Stationary Pad Box
« on: December 03, 2009, 12:26:21 PM »
OSX 10.6.1 ;  PM the latest beta

Hi Kirk,
To accomodate those on Netbooks, is it possible to shrink by 10% the length of the IPTC Pad and the Preferences Box (on a Mac), which are just a tad too tall to display fully on the screen, with the OK and Cancel buttons just out of reach. More importantly, the Snapshot button, my most used button, cannot be accessed on the Netbook.
On the Mac, there is an OS workaround, involving a command in Terminal to shrink all screens to 90%, and that allows me to see the full IPTC Pad and Prefs Box, but the same command also breaks Lightroom and Firefox, so I prefer not to use it.
Perhaps you can implement this during the transition from the latest Beta to the final release?
Attached are screen shots of the boxes before and after 10% shrink.
Many thanks,
N  

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Shorter Stationary Pad Box
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 10:22:25 PM »
Nati,

OSX 10.6.1 ;  PM the latest beta

To accomodate those on Netbooks, is it possible to shrink by 10% the length of the IPTC Pad and the Preferences Box (on a Mac), which are just a tad too tall to display fully on the screen, with the OK and Cancel buttons just out of reach. More importantly, the Snapshot button, my most used button, cannot be accessed on the Netbook.
On the Mac, there is an OS workaround, involving a command in Terminal to shrink all screens to 90%, and that allows me to see the full IPTC Pad and Prefs Box, but the same command also breaks Lightroom and Firefox, so I prefer not to use it.
Perhaps you can implement this during the transition from the latest Beta to the final release?
Attached are screen shots of the boxes before and after 10% shrink.

Netbooks are not a supported platform from Apple.  In fact, if you were to upgrade to 10.6.2 your Netbook would stop working.  There are fixes in 10.6.2 that help several applications, including Photo Mechanic run more stably.  Hopefully even more changes and improvements will be made to 10.6 and unfortunately you won't be able to use them for fear of your system's demise.  When Apple makes a Netbook (or at least sanctions them instead of disabling them) then we would be happy to expend the resources necessary to support them.

We can't afford to do anything other than address issues and add features that affect the majority of our customers.

We're trying to make the fewest changes possible in 4.6.2.2 to solve the outstanding issues in 4.6.x and making the kind of changes you're requesting at this time would not be wise.

I'm sorry for the disappointing news.

-Kirk

Offline nharnik

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 06:30:15 AM »
Kirk,

Thanks for your thorough answer, and I understand wanting to get 4.6.2.2 out without added complications. And the Apple thing.
In the mean time I have managed to find a very elegant solution to the larger dialog boxes from within OS X, so not too much disappointed.
Just as a side note, I don't think the netbooks are going away. Many photographers who see my machine end up ordering one as well.
N.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 06:35:07 AM »
Nati,

Just as a side note, I don't think the netbooks are going away. Many photographers who see my machine end up ordering one as well.

They work great on Windows, and we've sized our dialogs to fit on Netbooks on the Windows version of Photo Mechanic.

The problem with Netbooks and Mac OS X is that Apple doesn't want you to use them since they don't sell them.  Yours will stop working if you upgrade.  Please let your photographer friends know about this complication before they spend their hard-earned cash on one expecting that they're going to get a really cheap Mac OS X laptop.

-Kirk