Author Topic: Please don't delete my images!  (Read 3302 times)

Offline rgbman

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Please don't delete my images!
« on: December 04, 2009, 12:32:19 AM »
I just learned this valuable lesson today which I think is just not right.

Scenario: I have a window open in PM containing images from a parent folder that has subfolders. In these different subfolders some images have the same name (RAW images from a 5D and 5D Mk II). No prob, PM displays them all in the same window and everything is great.

I finish marking all the keepers pink (1) and then click to only show those keepers in the window. I then select all and drag to a new folder in the Navigator window.

Problem: When PM moves the images to the new folder it DELETES/OVERWRITES any image with a duplicate name so only 1 of the images makes it to the new folder.

It does not warn you.
It does not rename it.
It does not move it to the trash.
It does not leave it in the source folder.
It does not tell you it's about to delete/overwrite duplicate image names.
It does not tell you it just deleted images with duplicate names.

Poof! they are gone.

Hmmm, seriously??!!!! Is this really the right protocol?

I understand now that one should really only use the move/copy menu option to either move or copy images but I really thought PM would "have my back" and never delete/overwrite an image with any kind of warning.

Jeff

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Please don't delete my images!
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 06:38:31 AM »
Jeff,

Problem: When PM moves the images to the new folder it DELETES/OVERWRITES any image with a duplicate name so only 1 of the images makes it to the new folder.

This sounds like a bug.  It would be helpful if you would list the OS you're running and the version of Photo Mechanic you're running.  Please list both.  That way I can tell where I need to start looking to find and fix the problem.

-Kirk

BTW, no need for a feature request.  This is a support issue.

Offline rgbman

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 12:20:19 PM »
Gotcha Kirk. I didn't really see it as a bug as much as just the way it was.

Yes, I'm on a Mac Pro 2.66 Quad-Core Xeon/Nehalem, 8 GB Ram, running 10.5.8. My PM is version 4.6.2.1

Thanks for the quick reply!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 12:31:09 PM »
Gotcha Kirk. I didn't really see it as a bug as much as just the way it was.

Yes, I'm on a Mac Pro 2.66 Quad-Core Xeon/Nehalem, 8 GB Ram, running 10.5.8. My PM is version 4.6.2.1

Can you please post a text diagram of the folder structure you're working with and what the destination folder was in that structure?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline rgbman

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009, 01:07:50 PM »
Will do, however please excuse my short description I'm on my way out of town for a shoot.

Briefly I can tell you I tried this again right on my desktop with 3 folders and it deleted the image with the duped name. Folder 1= image named A. Folder 2 = image named A. loaded both images into 1 PM window and copied (via dragging) to Folder 3. One image makes it, the other is gone.

My orig scenario was moving/dragging images across different folders all on the same eSATA drive. Simply moving images within one PM window (source files residing in different folders of course) into a destination folder in PM's Nav window. Images with identical names will move one, delete the other).

Is that what you're asking Kirk?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 01:27:51 PM »
Will do, however please excuse my short description I'm on my way out of town for a shoot.

Briefly I can tell you I tried this again right on my desktop with 3 folders and it deleted the image with the duped name. Folder 1= image named A. Folder 2 = image named A. loaded both images into 1 PM window and copied (via dragging) to Folder 3. One image makes it, the other is gone.

My orig scenario was moving/dragging images across different folders all on the same eSATA drive. Simply moving images within one PM window (source files residing in different folders of course) into a destination folder in PM's Nav window. Images with identical names will move one, delete the other).

Is that what you're asking Kirk?

Yes.  Let me see if I can reproduce it.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 05:08:49 PM »

I am able to reproduce the problem.  We're working on a fix.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2009, 07:30:45 PM »
Jeff,

I have a solution in place now.  Duplicates are checked for as each file is copied/moved and if a file already exists at the destination, the file being copied is renamed according to the user's naming resolution preferences.

Would you be willing to test the fix for me?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline rgbman

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2009, 01:40:57 PM »
Well, my user renaming pref was set to {seq}{filename}. It still deletes the duplicate named image. Based on your theory shouldn't it have created a new sequence # then added the duplicate file name thus moving both files into the destination folder?

I'm assuming you're referring to the renaming preferences that are set via File>Rename Photos.

Also FYI, I have always UNchecked "Never warn when deleting photos" in the Files Preference menu.

Not sure if that was the exact procedure you wanted me to try.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2009, 02:34:26 PM »
Well, my user renaming pref was set to {seq}{filename}. It still deletes the duplicate named image. Based on your theory shouldn't it have created a new sequence # then added the duplicate file name thus moving both files into the destination folder?

I'm assuming you're referring to the renaming preferences that are set via File>Rename Photos.

Also FYI, I have always UNchecked "Never warn when deleting photos" in the Files Preference menu.

Not sure if that was the exact procedure you wanted me to try.

I want you to test with a new version that you don't have yet.  I want to give it to you privately so you can test with it and tell me if it solves your issue.

Let me know if you would like access to the test version.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline rgbman

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2009, 02:50:07 PM »
No prob Kirk. Be happy to try it out.