Author Topic: PM => CS4  (Read 7400 times)

Offline csgaraglino

• View Profile
    • Widow Creek
PM => CS4
« on: December 04, 2009, 07:59:52 AM »
Is there a way to tell PM to send a JPEG from a NEF to Photoshop.
Right now it opens the NEF.

Here is why.
If I make my edits in my normal editing program (say Capture NX2)
I see these changes in PM
Ok, now lets say I want to print or add a border or whatever in Photoshop.
If I right click and send to PS it does, but it grabs the NEF and goes the ACR route drooping all my NX2 changes?
Saving it as a JPEG first is just a waste of space & time.
Regards,
Chris Sgaraglino
www.WidowCreek.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM => CS4
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 08:37:51 AM »
Chris,

Is there a way to tell PM to send a JPEG from a NEF to Photoshop.
Right now it opens the NEF.

Here is why.
If I make my edits in my normal editing program (say Capture NX2)
I see these changes in PM
Ok, now lets say I want to print or add a border or whatever in Photoshop.
If I right click and send to PS it does, but it grabs the NEF and goes the ACR route drooping all my NX2 changes?
Saving it as a JPEG first is just a waste of space & time.

PM cannot generate a JPEG out of thin air and pass it on to any application.  A file on disk in the proper format (in this case, a JPEG) must be created first.

-Kirk

Offline csgaraglino

• View Profile
    • Widow Creek
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 10:29:06 AM »
Hmmm..
Doesn't PM create a JPEG before it uploads to say Flickr?
Regards,
Chris Sgaraglino
www.WidowCreek.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 11:46:53 AM »
Chris,

Hmmm..
Doesn't PM create a JPEG before it uploads to say Flickr?

Yes, absolutely.

The mechanism of passing an image from PM to other applications is by file path reference.  PM would have to spontaneously create a JPEG file somewhere and then pass the reference to it to Photoshop.

In the case of Flickr or other uploaders, a cache is already in place for this purpose and the destination 'application' is a server.  Once the file is uploaded, it is deleted from the cache.

If you want to perform operations on your NX2-adjusted NEFs in some application besides NX2, you're going to have to save it in a different format first.  To prevent quality loss I'd suggest TIFF or PSD as the format.  Then edit that file with Photoshop.

-Kirk

Offline csgaraglino

• View Profile
    • Widow Creek
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009, 12:16:03 PM »
Correct?

I guess, what I am asking is with the ability of PM to add any editor to its list, it would be nice if a dialog screen came up (Like sending to Flickr) asking me if I want to send Original, JPEG or TIFF to the alternate editor.

Regards,
Chris Sgaraglino
www.WidowCreek.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 12:34:10 PM »
Chris,

Correct?

I guess, what I am asking is with the ability of PM to add any editor to its list, it would be nice if a dialog screen came up (Like sending to Flickr) asking me if I want to send Original, JPEG or TIFF to the alternate editor.

But you don't have a TIFF or a JPEG to send to the editor, right?  What you're wanting is for PM to generate a JPEG (or TIFF) somewhere and then pass that file off for editing, correct?

-Kirk

Offline csgaraglino

• View Profile
    • Widow Creek
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 01:03:33 PM »
Yup...

One of the BEST things in PM is that fact that I don't have to have all these different files floating around. It creates on the fly what it needs, does the job it is told to, and then delets the file - very sweet!

It would be a killer addition, if it could do that when sending to another editor.
Regards,
Chris Sgaraglino
www.WidowCreek.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2009, 01:05:00 PM »
Chris,

Yup...

One of the BEST things in PM is that fact that I don't have to have all these different files floating around. It creates on the fly what it needs, does the job it is told to, and then delets the file - very sweet!

It would be a killer addition, if it could do that when sending to another editor.

But how would PM know when you're done with the file?  It isn't in control after the edit starts.  You would still end up with unwanted files.

-Kirk

Offline csgaraglino

• View Profile
    • Widow Creek
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2009, 01:09:02 PM »
Hmmm.. Good point?
I guess it could just be created in the "original" directory and then open Photoshop - that would save the save as step?

Regards,
Chris Sgaraglino
www.WidowCreek.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2009, 01:30:29 PM »
Chris,

Hmmm.. Good point?
I guess it could just be created in the "original" directory and then open Photoshop - that would save the save as step?

The "Extract JPEG Previews from RAW photos..." command will produce JPEGs from your NEFs in the same folder as the NEFs reside.  You could then edit them with Photoshop.

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2009, 12:45:26 PM »
Chris,

Hmmm.. Good point?

The "Extract JPEG Previews from RAW photos..." command will produce JPEGs from your NEFs in the same folder as the NEFs reside.  You could then edit them with Photoshop.

While this would work absolutely fine, it would be better (as Kirk suggested earlier too) to use a raw converter to create a 16-bit tiff file out of the raw file. If you stick to the manufacturers software (e.g. Nikon Capture NX or Canon DPP if I am not mistaken) they will honour the camera settings and produce the same result as the embedded jpg (but in higher quality).

Does this make sense to you?
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl