Author Topic: Update IPTC/XMP... tool not updating NEF  (Read 5427 times)

Offline ramblinwreck

• View Profile
Update IPTC/XMP... tool not updating NEF
« on: December 06, 2009, 11:11:50 PM »
Hi,

[I'm running PM 4.6.2.1 (eval) on OSX 10.6.2.]

I'm trying to use the 'Update IPTC/XMP' tool without success. Here is what I have and what I'm trying to do:

One JPEG file with IPTC embedded, exported from Aperture (filename: DSC_2407.jpg).
One "out of camera" NEF file with no metadata embedded and no sidecar (filename: DSC_2407.NEF).

I open these two files in a contact sheet. I'm fairly certain PM recognizes these as a RAW/JPG pair because at first it showed me only a single combined thumbnail per my "Combine RAW+JPEG into single thumbnail" preference setting. I unchecked this preference, and I now see two images in the contact sheet (one JPG, one NEF), as I expect.

If I click the "i" on the JPG image the IPTC info window shows me all the metadata I expect for this particular JPG (some keywords, caption, etc). I click on "i" on the NEF image and I see no metadata as I expect.

At this point I'd like to update the NEF file with the JPG's metadata. I do:

1. Select the pair of images in the contact sheet.
2. Tools -> Update IPTC/XMP...
3. Select "Read IPTC/XMP from JPEG", and then "Update".
4. The NEF image still does not have any metadata (my preferences are set up to generate a sidecar for Raw files).

I observe that a sidecar is generated (DSC_2407.XMP), but it does not contain any metadata as far as I can tell. Here are the contents:

---------
<x:xmpmeta xmlns:x="adobe:ns:meta/" x:xmptk="XMP Core 4.1.1">
   <rdf:RDF xmlns:rdf="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#">
      <rdf:Description rdf:about=""
            xmlns:crs="http://ns.adobe.com/camera-raw-settings/1.0/">
         <crs:HasCrop>False</crs:HasCrop>
      </rdf:Description>
            xmlns:photoshop="http://ns.adobe.com/photoshop/1.0/">
         <photoshop:DateCreated>2009-02-09T19:54:23-06:00</photoshop:DateCreated>
            xmlns:photomechanic="http://ns.camerabits.com/photomechanic/1.0/">
         <photomechanic:Prefs>0:0:0:002407</photomechanic:Prefs>
            xmlns:xap="http://ns.adobe.com/xap/1.0/">
         <xap:Rating>0</xap:Rating>
   </rdf:RDF>
</x:xmpmeta>

---------

Preferences screenshot attached.

In the 'Files' preferences I have NOT checked "Allow RAW files (non DNG) to be modified for metadata...". I do not want PM embedding anything into my NEFs, but I would like PM to create sidecars for my NEFs based on the corresponding JPG metadata.

Have I done something wrong in my steps? I tried (temporarily) to set PM to write IPTC/XMP directly to the NEF file to see if that worked but it didn't. So I guess I'm doing something wrong here..

Chris

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline ramblinwreck

• View Profile
Re: Update IPTC/XMP... tool not updating NEF
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009, 11:22:20 PM »
Just to add - using the copy/paste function of the IPTC info window produces exactly the result I expect (but is a manual process for each pair of files):

1. Click "i" on the JPG, takes me to 'IPTC info', click copy then [Save & ->], which takes me to the NEF
2. Click 'paste'

The XMP sidecar is updated with the metadata from the JPG, and PM now shows the same metadata for both files.

I'd like the "Update IPTC/XMP..." tool to do this because I need to do this on lots of photos at once. Can the "Update IPTC/XMP..." tool do this?

thanks
Chris

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 06:30:14 AM »
Chris,

I'd like the "Update IPTC/XMP..." tool to do this because I need to do this on lots of photos at once. Can the "Update IPTC/XMP..." tool do this?

It should be able to do that.  I'll check into it and see what is going on.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 09:05:00 AM »
Chris,

I'm trying to use the 'Update IPTC/XMP' tool without success. Here is what I have and what I'm trying to do:

One JPEG file with IPTC embedded, exported from Aperture (filename: DSC_2407.jpg).
One "out of camera" NEF file with no metadata embedded and no sidecar (filename: DSC_2407.NEF).

I open these two files in a contact sheet. I'm fairly certain PM recognizes these as a RAW/JPG pair because at first it showed me only a single combined thumbnail per my "Combine RAW+JPEG into single thumbnail" preference setting. I unchecked this preference, and I now see two images in the contact sheet (one JPG, one NEF), as I expect.

If I click the "i" on the JPG image the IPTC info window shows me all the metadata I expect for this particular JPG (some keywords, caption, etc). I click on "i" on the NEF image and I see no metadata as I expect.

I was unable to reproduce your issue.  Do you have the RAW and JPEG joined as a single thumbnail at the time that you're using the Update IPTC/XMP tool?  You must have them joined together as a RAW+JPEG pair in order for the tool to work.

-Kirk

Offline ramblinwreck

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 09:13:22 AM »
Kirk,

I was unable to reproduce your issue.  Do you have the RAW and JPEG joined as a single thumbnail at the time that you're using the Update IPTC/XMP tool?  You must have them joined together as a RAW+JPEG pair in order for the tool to work.

No, I don't. I had unchecked the "Combine RAW+JPEG into single thumbnail" option, so I saw two distinct thumbnails - one each for the NEF and JPG. So I suspect your reply probably explains the issue. I will try setting the option for PM to present a joined thumbnail for the RAW/JPG pair this evening (when I'm back to the machine with PM installed) and I will let you know the result.

I'm evaluating PM right now (trying to replace an Aperture-only workflow with a PM based workflow) and so far it looks good. I appreciate the quick reply.

Chris

Offline ramblinwreck

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 06:46:00 PM »
Kirk,

Everything worked perfectly once I asked PM to join the RAW/JPEG into a single thumbnail. The NEF was untouched, and a sidecar was created with metadata matching that of the JPG. Exactly what I wanted. Thanks very much.

Chris

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 06:53:36 PM »
Chris,

Everything worked perfectly once I asked PM to join the RAW/JPEG into a single thumbnail. The NEF was untouched, and a sidecar was created with metadata matching that of the JPG. Exactly what I wanted. Thanks very much.

Good to hear.  Thanks for following up.

-Kirk