Author Topic: Crop on Nef via ACR CS4  (Read 5332 times)

Offline jdandanell

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Crop on Nef via ACR CS4
« on: December 12, 2009, 12:12:01 PM »
I just upgraded to 4.6.2.1 and noticed that the crop-information does nog "stick" with the nef-file. I usually edit 5-10 files at the same time in Adobe Camera Raw (CS4) and save to jpeg direct from ARC (bottom left corner) but when I later on open the nef again every change I did last time is there accept the crop-info. How come?

« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 12:35:13 PM by jdandanell »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Crop on Nef via ACR CS4
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 12:58:13 PM »
I just upgraded to 4.6.2.1 and noticed that the crop-information does nog "stick" with the nef-file. I usually edit 5-10 files at the same time in Adobe Camera Raw (CS4) and save to jpeg direct from ARC (bottom left corner) but when I later on open the nef again every change I did last time is there accept the crop-info. How come?

I don't know, and I don't quite follow what you're saying.  Could you please list the steps that you follow for a single NEF file and where you notice that your crop information is lost?

-Kirk

Offline jdandanell

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 01:16:23 PM »
My normal working progress is that I select 5-15 nef's in PhotoMEchanics and through Cmd+E open in Adobe CS4 (ACR). I do all my stuff in ACR (including crops) and when done I do a "select all" and with button "save..." (bottom left corner) save my jpeg's. Hitting button "done" in ACR closes the application and I then go back to PhotoMechanics for tagging.

When I later on go back to a nef and open it in ACR I get all the edit-information but lacks the crop-info. This after first upgrade to 4.6.2.1. Never hade this problem before...
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 01:22:17 PM by jdandanell »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2009, 01:46:01 PM »
My normal working progress is that I select 5-15 nef's in PhotoMEchanics and through Cmd+E open in Adobe CS4 (ACR). I do all my stuff in ACR (including crops) and when done I do a "select all" and with button "save..." (bottom left corner) save my jpeg's. Hitting button "done" in ACR closes the application and I then go back to PhotoMechanics for tagging.

When I later on go back to a nef and open it in ACR I get all the edit-information but lacks the crop-info. This after first upgrade to 4.6.2.1. Never hade this problem before...

OK.  Are you doing any further modification to your NEF file or its metadata in Photo Mechanic after you last use them in ACR and before you use them in ACR again?

-Kirk

Offline jdandanell

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 01:55:39 PM »
Yes, as I mentioned in my last post I go back to PM and do tag the pictures. I have my nef+jpeg "stapled" as one preview and just click on the big "I" when selecting the picture. I have been doing this for a long time now but I was just today, after installing the latest version, I noticed that the crop-info did not stick. It has not been like this before and pictures done pre-today does not show this lack of crop-info

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 03:56:00 PM »
Yes, as I mentioned in my last post I go back to PM and do tag the pictures. I have my nef+jpeg "stapled" as one preview and just click on the big "I" when selecting the picture. I have been doing this for a long time now but I was just today, after installing the latest version, I noticed that the crop-info did not stick. It has not been like this before and pictures done pre-today does not show this lack of crop-info

OK, thanks.  We'll see what we can do to solve this for the 4.6.2.2 update.

-Kirk

Offline jdandanell

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2009, 11:42:55 PM »

-Kirk

Thanks

It looks like it's only when editing multiple nef's in ACR this happens

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2009, 12:33:43 AM »

Do you use XMP sidecar files, or do you have PM embed XMP and/or IPTC date into your NEFs?

-Kirk

Offline jdandanell

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2009, 02:48:07 PM »

Do you use XMP sidecar files, or do you have PM embed XMP and/or IPTC date into your NEFs?

-Kirk

I use XMP sidecar files

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2009, 03:42:57 PM »

I use XMP sidecar files

I am unable to reproduce this issue so far with the information provided.  Could you please post a screen shot of the IPTC/XMP tab in the Photo Mechanic Preferences dialog?  Also, could you share sample files with us?  Before and after versions would be best.  Please click on my name to the left of this message, then click on the 'personal message' link.  I will respond with upload instructions.

Thanks,

-Kirk