Author Topic: IPTC Caption Problems Prevent AP Upload - Part 1  (Read 6217 times)

Offline chaphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
IPTC Caption Problems Prevent AP Upload - Part 1
« on: December 14, 2009, 09:26:26 AM »
Hi Kirk,

I have used PM many years and love it.  Also the customer support is amazing.  This is a resend as the original was lost when I accidently hit the delete key in the new post area.
Thanks in advance. 

I am using PM 4.6.2.1., with Mac OSX 10.6.2, on a MacBook Pro “Santa Rosa” vintage.

I work for a daily newspaper and at various sporting events I have to send pix to our paper “The Journal” and to the AP.  To help me with filling out all the area a friend and AP staffer sent me an IPT file to use.  You will find attachments for all the mentioned snapshots and files.

My workflow is as follows:
•   Ingest files into a specific event-lens folder, adding basic caption info (Journal 2 AP Workflow – Caption).
•   Add in player id’s with code replacement.
•   Copy the desired files to my “Assignment Selects” folder, renaming them to “slug”-fnum e.g. 14 wfbkb 6959.
•   Go to the “Assignment Selects” folder and search the slug and process the files  Photoshop CS.  I save as appending “edit” to filename i.e. 14 wfbkb 6959edit.
•   At this point I have a detailed captioned and processed generic pic that can go anywhere, either The Journal or to AP.
•   For the AP branch I then copy the desired files to the “AP” folder using the (AP copy) snapshot which appends the AP IPT info via the (Journal 2 AP Workflow – AP Footer) iptc snapshot.  This also renames the file to the AP transmission code + sequence number.
•   I strip off the Journal header using search and replace snapshot (AP1), put the player names into the headline area.  At this point the AP file is done and ready to ship.
•   I go back to the “Assignment Selects” to the desired files, reset the sequence number, and apply the Journal info using (Journal 2 AP Workflow – Journal Footer) iptc snapshot.  Now the Journal files are ready to be sent.

The problem is the AP files never can drop into the AP system.  I have tried both the email and ftp routes.  The ftp files just go into the ether.  The email files are strange.  The desk guy said he could see the picture in the email, even get it, process it in his photoshop, but the resulting file would not go into their system.

After several hours on troubleshooting this over the phone we found out the following;  The Journal variant files would go into the AP system without any problems.  Files copied to the AP folder, renamed to the transmission code+sequence number, but without the AP info appended to the iptc would go into their system without any problems.  Here comes the biggie.  Files copied to the AP folder retaining the original name and having the AP info appended would not go into the system.

Is it possible that the IPT file I received from AP is corrupt?  That IPT files from different versions get corrupted when merged/appended?   

Again thanks for such a wonderful program and for your help in resolving this problem.

Bruce Chapman
Staff Photographer
Winston-Salem Journal

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kevin M. Cox

• PM 6 (7102) | macOS 14.4.1
    • View Profile
    • Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
Re: IPTC Caption Problems Prevent AP Upload - Part 1
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 04:05:17 PM »
Hey Bruce, I'm in the same situation as you as far as sending to the paper and to AP.  My initial thought is your process sounds overly complicated and seems to include more steps then what I do to reach the same result.

That said, I'm still working through your process before I give a more detailed response, but you forgot to attach "Journal 2 AP Workflow – AP Footer" and gave us the "Journal Footer" twice. If you'll attach the missing one I'll look at everything and try to give a more helpful response later tonight after the basketball game I have to shoot.

[As a side note, you can attach additional files within this same discussion thread by creating a reply instead of needing to start a whole new thread.]
Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
https://www.instagram.com/kevin.m.cox/

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 08:12:10 PM »
Bruce,

After several hours on troubleshooting this over the phone we found out the following;  The Journal variant files would go into the AP system without any problems.  Files copied to the AP folder, renamed to the transmission code+sequence number, but without the AP info appended to the iptc would go into their system without any problems.  Here comes the biggie.  Files copied to the AP folder retaining the original name and having the AP info appended would not go into the system.

Is it possible that the IPT file I received from AP is corrupt?  That IPT files from different versions get corrupted when merged/appended?

I haven't responded to your questions thus far because in your second thread you indicated that there would be a third part.  I have not seen one as of today.  Is there going to be a part 3?

-Kirk

Offline chaphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 07:28:38 AM »
Hey Kevin & Kirk,

Thanks for the tip on using reply.  Sorry for the delay.  Here is the AP footer.

Again much thanks,
Bruce

Offline chaphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 07:31:27 AM »
Hi Kirk,

Here are the pic files.

Offline chaphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 07:34:18 AM »
hi Kirk,

Here are the pic files.

Bruce

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009, 08:11:09 AM »
Bruce,

Could you give me a summary of what each picture you've uploaded represents?  What procedure produced each image?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Kevin M. Cox

• PM 6 (7102) | macOS 14.4.1
    • View Profile
    • Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2009, 02:43:53 PM »
Kirk, I'm pretty sure:

NCWIN 1014a.jpg is the file named for transmission to the AP, however it does NOT have the "AP Footer" applied to it.

14 wfbkb 6959a.jpg is the original filename but it does have the "AP Footer" .snap applied to it.

Bruce, so after re-reading the original post it sounds like you have narrowed the problem down to the "Journal 2 AP Workflow - AP Footer.snap" being the problem. Unless I missed it, applying that IPTC pad to the file is the only thing that keeps files from moving into the AP system.

Looking at the file the only thing that seems "off" to me is the Supplemental Category 1. I'm not sure if it matters, but I would think the AP server is expecting a 3 character code in that blank (BKC). Could it be the extra description ( - Men's college basketball) that is causing problems?  I assume that is something the person you spoke to on the state photo desk would have noticed if it was a problem, but again it is the only thing that struck me as different. The AP file I created is very similar to yours and it works fine.

Do any other photogs at The Journal have the same problem or is it just limited to your workflow?
Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
https://www.instagram.com/kevin.m.cox/

Offline chaphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2009, 12:19:12 PM »
Hey Kevin,

Thanks for the reply.  You asked if other Journal photogs  are having problems.  Only two of us have to transmit to AP with any regularity.  The other photog dreads having to send to AP.  But I'm the only person on staff using PM  :o.  So the other day I decided to "rebuild" the AP Footer snapshot.  I constructed it on my home IMac then copied the snapshot to a CF card and then onto the MBP.  Suppcat1 for some reason didn't "Take" and the usual Journal suppcat1 info was there.  HMMMM  After trying different ways of modifying the snapshot I had the idea of foregoing the snapshot and making a new IPTC stationary pad file with the AP info in it.  And the suppcat1 gremlins disappeared.  Wake Forest plays Xavier sunday and I have to send to AP.  Here's hoping that the new IPTC file will do the trick.  I will however keep in mind your suggestion about the suppcat1 descriptors.  They will be kicked to the curb pronto if I have problems.

If you don't mind me asking...what is your AP workflow?  If so, no biggie. 

Thanks for your ideas and time, especially on Christmas!!!
Bruce

Offline chaphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2010, 12:31:47 PM »
Kevin & Kirk,

An update ;D  I can now attribute my problems to pilot error (me being the pilot).  At last night's game I sent files with the my brand new IPTC file, and they didn't make it in the system.  I then immediately got rid of the descriptive text in the category & suppcat1 fields.  These files made it in.

Thanks soooo much for you guys help and time.

Bruce Chapman