Author Topic: Sound problems in PM  (Read 12867 times)

Offline SilverHalide

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Sound problems in PM
« on: December 16, 2009, 08:23:42 AM »
I am using PM 4.6.1 on a Dell laptop running Windows Vista.

I cannot get the SOUND files (WAV) to play from clicking in PM. I used to be able to do this but now I have to go into the folder and find the sound file and play from there. I just tried associating all these files with PM as the opening application but that didn't work. I want to play the file from the PM browser like I used to be able to do. The icon is still there but doesn't play.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Sound problems in PM
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 09:16:36 AM »
I am using PM 4.6.1 on a Dell laptop running Windows Vista.

I cannot get the SOUND files (WAV) to play from clicking in PM. I used to be able to do this but now I have to go into the folder and find the sound file and play from there. I just tried associating all these files with PM as the opening application but that didn't work. I want to play the file from the PM browser like I used to be able to do. The icon is still there but doesn't play.

Did you perhaps disable sound playback in the Preferences dialog?  Or if not, did something about your system change recently (audio drivers)?

File associations have nothing to do with Photo Mechanic's ability to play sounds.  I'd suggest not doing that at all since PM won't automatically play a sound that you double-click on in Windows Explorer anyway.

-Kirk

Offline SilverHalide

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 09:53:07 AM »
I have "enable sound playback" checked and I don't remember doing anything to my sound. Other sound things play fine.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 10:03:55 AM »
I have "enable sound playback" checked and I don't remember doing anything to my sound. Other sound things play fine.

OK.  Then I'd suggest calling support at 503-547-2888 and they'll troubleshoot with you over the phone.

-Kirk

Offline Eagle66

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 06:18:57 AM »
I have the same problem since some days.

The .wav sound don't play in PM (4.6.5 WIN, VISTA). In Explorer the .wav and jpg are okay. Sound plays with Quicktime or VLC Player, if selected as default or double click from Explorer,  PM Play-Button is enable, no sound after press Play - IPTC Dialog. Speaker is okay.

"enable sound playback"? i can't find this in Preferences - which TAB is this?

ps.: sound is recorded with Nikon D3, Update PM 4.6.6, same problem.

pps: No sound works in PM; i renamed a Music-Wav File to the picture Name in the folder; sound Button is displayed in PM, no Sound after Play.

I installed Sony Vegas Studio and Sound Forge Audio Studio 10 - last time!?

How does the play button work!?

Thanks
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 07:01:16 AM by Eagle66 »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 07:08:07 AM »
I have the same problem since some days.

The .wav sound don't play in PM (4.6.5 WIN, VISTA). In Explorer the .wav and jpg are okay. Sound plays with Quicktime or VLC Player, if selected as default or double click from Explorer,  PM Play-Button is enable, no sound after press Play - IPTC Dialog. Speaker is okay.

"enable sound playback"? i can't find this in Preferences - which TAB is this?

At the bottom of the General tab.  It is on by default.

Quote from: Eagle66
ps.: sound is recorded with Nikon D3, Update PM 4.6.6, same problem.

The sound code has not changed in years.  I wouldn't expect the 4.6.6 update to make any changes in this regard.

Quote from: Eagle66
pps: No sound works in PM; i renamed a Music-Wav File to the picture Name in the folder; sound Button is displayed in PM, no Sound after Play.

I installed Sony Vegas Studio and Sound Forge Audio Studio 10 - last time!?

How does the play button work!?

Quite simply.  If it appears next to a thumbnail or preview and you click on it, the sound should start playing.  While playing if you click on it again it should stop playing the sound.  Nothing special needs to be done.

That said, PM uses libSDL to play sounds and it is possible that libSDL is not compatible with the sound drivers on your system.  Have you checked to see if the manufacturer of your audio device has updated drivers available?

-Kirk

Offline Eagle66

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 02:56:43 PM »
I found it: on the Accessibility-Tab and its on, yes

Code: [Select]
SoundMAX Integrated Digital HD Audio
*manufacturer* Analog Devices
*driver* c:\windows\system32\drivers\adihdaud.sys
*Version* 6.10.1.5510
*Audiotest: both speaker Stereo Test: ok

Only no Sound with PM - what can i do?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 03:21:50 PM »
I found it: on the Accessibility-Tab and its on, yes

Code: [Select]
SoundMAX Integrated Digital HD Audio
*manufacturer* Analog Devices
*driver* c:\windows\system32\drivers\adihdaud.sys
*Version* 6.10.1.5510
*Audiotest: both speaker Stereo Test: ok

Only no Sound with PM - what can i do?

Did you check for updated drivers?

Other than updating the drivers, I have no solution for you.

-Kirk

Offline Eagle66

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2010, 06:51:48 AM »
Yes, Version 6.10.1.5xx is the newest for this BIOS.

There is an Issue at PM with other Sound Software that libSDL dont' work anymore. All Audio Tests outside PM work without problems.

Is there a Test or Debug software for the libSDL-Framework?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2010, 07:26:30 AM »
Yes, Version 6.10.1.5xx is the newest for this BIOS.

There is an Issue at PM with other Sound Software that libSDL dont' work anymore. All Audio Tests outside PM work without problems.

Is there a Test or Debug software for the libSDL-Framework?

I'm not sure what you're asking for?  You want to write your own test code with libSDL?

-Kirk

Offline Eagle66

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2010, 07:00:21 AM »
I'm not sure what you're asking for?  You want to write your own test code with libSDL?

-Kirk

No, I want to search the Error in PM, the Audio-Driver above has not changed since 2 Years, and PM is the ONLY App. where it not works!

Is there possibility to activate, create a Debug-Log inside PM for this Function. I can't find anything other Applikation which use libSDL.

I need this Play Sound Function -  imperatively.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2010, 07:07:45 AM »

-Kirk

No, I want to search the Error in PM, the Audio-Driver above has not changed since 2 Years, and PM is the ONLY App. where it not works!

Is there possibility to activate, create a Debug-Log inside PM for this Function. I can't find anything other Applikation which use libSDL.

I need this Play Sound Function -  imperatively.

I think the solution is to use something else other than libSDL for sound playback.  I've tried working with the other half-dozen or so people with this and created logging versions.  No errors are reported and no sound is played back.

I've been thinking of switching to OpenAL which is a dedicated audio library and is well supported.  Unfortunately I can't switch to it in the near term because of the work we're doing on cataloging for Photo Mechanic.

I don't have a solution for you at this time, nor will I have one in the next few months.

I am sorry to have to give you this response but I just can't sacrifice the cataloging effort at this time.

-Kirk

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2010, 04:42:00 PM »

Quite simply.  If it appears next to a thumbnail or preview and you click on it, the sound should start playing.  While playing if you click on it again it should stop playing the sound.  Nothing special needs to be done.

-Kirk

Kirk,
Sorry...I am completely confused.
I don`t know what button or whatever you are talking about.
Does it happen this way with Mac OS too?
TIA

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2010, 05:04:13 PM »
Luiz,

Sorry...I am completely confused.
I don`t know what button or whatever you are talking about.
Does it happen this way with Mac OS too?

The Mac OS X version does not have any sound driver issues.  There is no preference for enabling or disabling sound playback on the Mac.

As for actually playing the sounds themselves, both Mac OS X and Windows versions of Photo Mechanic work exactly the same.  If a photo has a sound associated with it (meaning that there is a .WAV file in the same folder as the image and has the same base name as the image) then a little speaker button will appear next to the thumbnail.  Pressing the button will start the sound playing.  Pressing the button again will abort playback.

Does that make sense?

-Kirk

Offline Eagle66

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2010, 07:09:16 AM »
Tataaaaaaaa, there is NO Sound-Problem  :D

PM has libSDL Path problem with special Characters like Ü,ö,ä - witch  i found with the Sysinternals Process Explorer:

Photo Mechanic.exe ReadFile   C:\Users\Public\Pictures\BG74-Göttingen\D3C_3083.JPG   SUCCESS   Generic Read,
Photo Mechanic.exe ReadFile   C:\Windows\System32\SDL.dll   SUCCESS   Offset: 135.168, Length: 32.768,
Photo Mechanic.exe CreateFile   C:\Users\Public\Pictures\BG74-Göttingen\D3C_3083.WAV   PATH NOT FOUND   Desired Access failed

Please check the libSDL Path Programming, it don't work with national Characters. After renaming the the path sound works  :)