Author Topic: Colon in keywords  (Read 8269 times)

Offline tgray

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Colon in keywords
« on: December 20, 2009, 08:03:11 PM »
I use colons (:) in my keywords.  It's part of the machine keywords syntax used on flickr.  At some point in the recent past, either 4.6.2.1 or 4.6.2, I lost the ability to enter in colons.  They get turned into a pipe (|) with a space on either side.  

Is there anyway to turn this auto translation off?  

Running 4.6.2.1 on OS X, 10.5.8.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Colon in keywords
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 08:04:12 PM »
I use colons (:) in my keywords.  It's part of the machine keywords syntax used on flickr.  At some point in the recent past, either 4.6.2.1 or 4.6.2, I lost the ability to enter in colons.  They get turned into a pipe (|) with a space on either side. 

Is there anyway to turn this auto translation off? 

No, but version 4.6.2.2 will no longer do that.  You can get a beta version of 4.6.2.2 in the Announcements section of the forums.

-Kirk

Offline tgray

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 08:05:43 PM »
Can't beat that response time.  haha.  Thanks.

Offline tgray

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 08:24:37 PM »
It still seems to do it to some extent.  I have the following keyword: "info:dev= XTOL 1:1".  4.6.2.1 turn this into "info | dev= XTOL 1 | 1".  I used the find and replace function to search for "info | " and change it to "info:".  So far so good.  I then used find and replace to search for "1 | 1" and replace it with "1:1".  That worked too, but all the "info:"s reverted to "info | " again. 

Why are colons being replaced anyway?  If the pipe character has some special significance, why not just type in a pipe when you need it?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 09:54:48 PM »
It still seems to do it to some extent.  I have the following keyword: "info:dev= XTOL 1:1".  4.6.2.1 turn this into "info | dev= XTOL 1 | 1".  I used the find and replace function to search for "info | " and change it to "info:".  So far so good.  I then used find and replace to search for "1 | 1" and replace it with "1:1".  That worked too, but all the "info:"s reverted to "info | " again. 

Why are colons being replaced anyway?  If the pipe character has some special significance, why not just type in a pipe when you need it?

Are you using 4.6.2.2 beta?  4.6.2.1 does indeed have the problem you describe.  As for the problem itself, it's a bug.

-Kirk

Offline tgray

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2009, 10:01:56 PM »
Yup, just downloaded it. 

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2009, 10:36:45 PM »
Yup, just downloaded it. 

Is the problem fixed then?

-Kirk

Offline tgray

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 06:37:20 AM »
Sorry. Reply #3 above is using 4.6.2.2 beta 2.  After playing around with it some more, if I enter a keyword with a colon in it, it is saved correctly.  However, if I then reopen the image and add a new keyword, the colon gets transformed into a pipe.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 10:27:46 AM »
Sorry. Reply #3 above is using 4.6.2.2 beta 2.  After playing around with it some more, if I enter a keyword with a colon in it, it is saved correctly.  However, if I then reopen the image and add a new keyword, the colon gets transformed into a pipe.

Please list the steps (and names of dialogs) in order to reproduce this problem with the 4.6.2.2 beta.  I have tried to reproduce this issue in my 4.6.2.2 beta (newer than what's currently posted) and I cannot reproduce it with either the IPTC Info or IPTC Stationery Pad dialogs.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline tgray

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2009, 09:20:43 AM »
I don't have my laptop here (and won't be back to it until the new year), but the steps were this:

1 - select photo
2 - open Stationery Pad and have keywords entered ('info:neg={filename}, info:dev = XTOL 1:1')
3 - apply pad

at this point everything is ok

4 - open IPTC info and add a keyword.  Anything seemed to work.

at this point colons were changed to pipes.  I was checking with exiftool from the command line and Get Info in Finder.  I think I could also replace steps 2 and 3 with the IPTC info dialog and manually enter a keyword, save it, reopen it, add another word, and save.  It was after the second saving that colons changed to pipes.

I can't do any more tests until the new year, but I will gladly do them over and others when I get back.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2009, 09:43:01 AM »
I don't have my laptop here (and won't be back to it until the new year), but the steps were this:

1 - select photo
2 - open Stationery Pad and have keywords entered ('info:neg={filename}, info:dev = XTOL 1:1')
3 - apply pad

at this point everything is ok

4 - open IPTC info and add a keyword.  Anything seemed to work.

at this point colons were changed to pipes.  I was checking with exiftool from the command line and Get Info in Finder.  I think I could also replace steps 2 and 3 with the IPTC info dialog and manually enter a keyword, save it, reopen it, add another word, and save.  It was after the second saving that colons changed to pipes.

I can't do any more tests until the new year, but I will gladly do them over and others when I get back.

OK, try it out on the 4.6.2.2 beta 3 version when you get back.

-Kirk