Author Topic: State Field Duplicating in Location  (Read 13787 times)

jla

State Field Duplicating in Location
« on: December 20, 2009, 11:10:44 PM »
I don't understand why this is happening. I put IPTC address info into photos and the next time I open Photo Mechanic, the State field is over-written with the same information that's in the Location field. At first, I thought I had done this by mistake but I've fixed it and seen it come back the same way several times so I know it must be something else. It doesn't happen to every single photo, just some. Any ideas?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: State Field Duplicating in Location
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 09:06:10 AM »
I don't understand why this is happening. I put IPTC address info into photos and the next time I open Photo Mechanic, the State field is over-written with the same information that's in the Location field. At first, I thought I had done this by mistake but I've fixed it and seen it come back the same way several times so I know it must be something else. It doesn't happen to every single photo, just some. Any ideas?

Are you perhaps using the IPTC Stationery Pad dialog when you think you're using the IPTC Info dialog?

-Kirk

jla

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 10:32:46 AM »
I think that was exactly how it happened but I still don't understand why. Why can't I use the Stationery Pad to enter information? Isn't that what it's for? When I 'fixed' it the last time I used Find & Replace instead and the State information seems to have 'stuck' this time instead of putting the Location info into the State field.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 12:25:00 PM »
I think that was exactly how it happened but I still don't understand why. Why can't I use the Stationery Pad to enter information? Isn't that what it's for? When I 'fixed' it the last time I used Find & Replace instead and the State information seems to have 'stuck' this time instead of putting the Location info into the State field.

The IPTC Stationery Pad dialog is for bulk application of IPTC data to photos.  The IPTC Info dialog is for editing IPTC data on individual files.  There is nothing that says you can't use the IPTC Stationery Pad to apply data to individual files, but you can't see the current data in a file while you're editing.  The IPTC Info dialog lets you see the current data and modify it for your needs.

It sounds like perhaps you have a variable {location} in the State field of your IPTC Stationery Pad dialog and when you apply it, the current value in the Location field is placed in the State field of your images.

-Kirk

jla

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 12:53:59 PM »
That's how I was using the Stationery Pad - for addition of data to multiple photos at once. I've used it many times for that purpose and have never seen a problem except with Locations going into the State field. I do have 'variables' for the different fields, but there's nothing under State that belongs in Location or vice versa.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 01:47:57 PM »
That's how I was using the Stationery Pad - for addition of data to multiple photos at once. I've used it many times for that purpose and have never seen a problem except with Locations going into the State field. I do have 'variables' for the different fields, but there's nothing under State that belongs in Location or vice versa.

OK, please post a JPEG screen shot of the IPTC Stationery Pad that produces the results that you don't expect to happen.  I'd like to see the settings.

Thanks,

-Kirk

jla

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 02:07:34 PM »
I don't have anything to show you right now because I fixed them all using Find & Replace. And I can't upload a screenshot because I don't have anywhere to link it from.

Here's an example
City: Sandusky
State: Ohio

I apply this info to, say, 100 photos. When I come back to PM, I find this on all of them:
State: Oakland Cemetery

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 04:50:25 PM »
I don't have anything to show you right now because I fixed them all using Find & Replace. And I can't upload a screenshot because I don't have anywhere to link it from.

Here's an example
State: Ohio

I apply this info to, say, 100 photos. When I come back to PM, I find this on all of them:
State: Oakland Cemetery

When you write your reply, there is a link titled "Additional Options..." that will allow you to upload your JPEG screen shot right to the forums so you don't need to host the image yourself.  So please post a JPEG screen shot.

-Kirk

jla

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 05:15:48 PM »
Here it is:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2009, 07:44:53 PM »
Here it is:

OK, looks good.  No variables.  And if you apply that IPTC Stationery Pad to some photos and then view their IPTC Info, you see "Oakland Cemetery" in the State field?

What version of Photo Mechanic are you using?

-Kirk

jla

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2009, 07:48:54 PM »
Over and over again with pictures from a variety of folders. It's making my backups a little hard to do. I haven't seen any since yesterday as they're hard to actually search for unless I catch one and then search for the rest of them. Otherwise I find them when I'm clicking through photos one by one viewing their IPTC info.

PM version 4.6.2.1

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2009, 10:09:24 PM »
Over and over again with pictures from a variety of folders. It's making my backups a little hard to do. I haven't seen any since yesterday as they're hard to actually search for unless I catch one and then search for the rest of them. Otherwise I find them when I'm clicking through photos one by one viewing their IPTC info.

PM version 4.6.2.1

Could you do a 'Save' (click on the Save button in the IPTC Stationery Pad dialog) to an XMP file and post the XMP file, please?

Thanks,

-Kirk

jla

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2009, 10:47:34 PM »
Here it is:

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2009, 11:48:38 PM »
Are you sure this is the xmp grenerated from the IPTC stationary pad you showed? It has none of the location data in it...

Cheers,
    Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

jla

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2009, 12:01:39 AM »
Sorry, I didn't know that's what you wanted. Here it is again: