Author Topic: Built-in Automatic update without browser  (Read 10199 times)

Offline mpro

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Built-in Automatic update without browser
« on: December 21, 2009, 02:07:08 AM »
It would be nice if the built-in update feature could check/install from within the application without having to start a web browser.

Cheers
Marco

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Built-in Automatic update without browser
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 09:04:56 AM »
Marco,

It would be nice if the built-in update feature could check/install from within the application without having to start a web browser.

Why is that a concern?

-Kirk

Offline mpro

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 03:33:02 AM »
Dear Kirk,

thank you for your reply.

I am not a programmer but as a user, I would consider having an update/install routine within applications as very common. Photo Mechanic is one of the very few Pro apps I know that does not have an inline check for updates. For me, the main advantage would be that things are quicker and simpler. I am a professional agency photographer, so speed and battery life in the field are always a concern.

Starting a browser to do the check means at least three things: First, browsers take time (and consume battery power) to start up. Also, very often browsers are closed with several tabs open which will reopen when you launch the browser again which takes even more time.

Second, if one of those tabs contains flash, like a video waiting to be seen, cpu load rockets skywards and drains the battery very quickly.

And third, I find it more difficult to read a status message on a web page than reading a quick dialogue within a program.

Photo Mechanic is my (and many other Pro's) number 1 choice for ingesting, selecting, captioning and sending photos very quickly and efficiently. A built-in update feature would add to speed and ease of use of this already great product.

Thank you
Best
Marco

Offline Hydester

• View Profile
    • Hotel Resort Photography
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 01:52:17 AM »
I would second this as a desirable improvement

Steve

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 06:33:50 AM »
All,

I would second this as a desirable improvement

We'll consider its implementation, however it would be a very low priority task for us at this point.

-Kirk

Offline SamFrost

• View Profile
    • Sam Frost Photography
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 01:59:05 AM »
I am a professional agency photographer, so speed and battery life in the field are always a concern.

I understand this problem completely, but what I don't understand is why updating PM while out in the field, presumably on assignment or otherwise working, would be such a priority?  If I'm out in the field I wouldn't dream of updating software in case the update breaks something or introduces a bug.  Updates are done at home, with my backups available, and are tested before being used for actual work.  Personally, whether an application has a built-in check or launches a browser makes little difference to me.  In fact, a browser-based approach means you only have to download the update once to install it on multiple machines.

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 04:58:53 PM »
Hi,
I agree with SamFrost.
I don't think updating a software is something to be done in the field.
Just my "two cents"...
Regards,

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline mpro

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 01:50:25 PM »
Thank you Kirk, this is indeed a very low priority suggestion. And thank you Sam, you are right about updates at home but I think you missed the point. PM will check for updates when it is scheduled to. If this happens and you press Yes, it will open a web browser no matter if I'm at home or on assignment. Then don't press Yes - I know! I just generally think it's rather old-fashioned to not do the update check and download/install process from within the application but instead take the user to a website where he has to download a new version and open the image and install it.

Almost every app I have installed on my computer has an inline-updater. But maybe it's a Mac thing, we like it simple!

Cheers
Marco

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 03:58:45 PM »
Marco,

Thank you Kirk, this is indeed a very low priority suggestion. And thank you Sam, you are right about updates at home but I think you missed the point. PM will check for updates when it is scheduled to. If this happens and you press Yes, it will open a web browser no matter if I'm at home or on assignment. Then don't press Yes - I know! I just generally think it's rather old-fashioned to not do the update check and download/install process from within the application but instead take the user to a website where he has to download a new version and open the image and install it.

The update check mechanism in PM5 now operates in the background and will only bother you if an update is actually available.  If you then agree to download the update it will still open up a web browser, and that is not likely to change.  But at least you won't be bothered to check only to find out that nothing new is available.

-Kirk

Offline pwp

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2012, 04:30:28 PM »
I understand this problem completely, but what I don't understand is why updating PM while out in the field, presumably on assignment or otherwise working, would be such a priority?  If I'm out in the field I wouldn't dream of updating software in case the update breaks something or introduces a bug.  Updates are done at home, with my backups available, and are tested before being used for actual work.  Personally, whether an application has a built-in check or launches a browser makes little difference to me.  In fact, a browser-based approach means you only have to download the update once to install it on multiple machines.

OMG absolutely spot on. I only do updates on quiet days when I'm completely up to date and all jobs delivered. It's an easily avoidable risk to run updates in the middle of a job, particularly on location. Once I got burned when I did an EOS Utility update while on location, shooting tethered. The update was not compatible with the particular OS version on my MBP, and set the start time of the job back about 35-40 minutes with the client feeling irritated and assistants standing around with little to do while I somehow retrieved an older version using my 3G iPhone as a modem. Stress central...

Major updates such as CS6 are done one machine at a time with an appropriate bedding in period. I got seriously unstuck a few years ago when I was part of the beta testing program for Adobe Photoshop CS3. The beta seriously messed up my entire primary workstation. Foolish me.  I won't run any kind of beta on anything other than an old "throwaway" computer or on a dedicated partition. And that included the PM5 beta releases. When your business depends on rock solid reliability and predictability of your hardware, why take the chance?

-Paul Wright

Offline markfink67

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • mfpix.com
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2012, 12:25:03 PM »
GIVE THE GUY A BREAK!!

I just did my update in v5 and it crossed my mind too as I was launched into Camerabits - paused to absorb strange color scheme/web design- struggle to chose the correct version .... Try/Buy - why am I on a Try/Buy page?

Pause again - select Mac/Win - 10.6.x -10.7.x or could it be 10.6.8 -10.6.x (pretty clear of "curse")  - lost the download in my previous versions - well of course it's PhotoMechanic5R13217.dmg - (naming convention improvement?)

Proceed to chug thru the process - drag here - replace that? - "yes" - sorry PM is open and in use - close - save over? - "yes" - Check if it opens and works -  Done!

Sorry, does reading this seem laborious/familiar? Yup, you've been there and done that for the past 10+ years.  It could be better.

(I did a Flash update which pretty much took care of itself and force closed any program required.)

Didn't PM just give you only one option on the update page - it seemed easier than this past experience?

The update also seems to missing the particular details of the improvement which I did find useful.  I'd always eagerly read them to see if my "pet peeve" - the slideshow had been fixed - **sigh**  I was disappointed again but at least learn what to anticipate being different.

Yes it's a small thing but maybe someday - not this year or next but definitely along with my slideshow fix - yea ;-).
Virginia Photographer - Mark Finkenstaedt

Editorial, Corporate, Advertising

Offline Soizic

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2012, 01:49:58 AM »
I agree with you.
When a new release is announced, I first copy PM.app in PM-old.app on my mac (prudence).
Then I search Kirk's Post : "click here for mac download".

The camerabits site is very bad as you say:
       "why am I on a Try/Buy page?"
Soizic (France)
MacBook Pro M1,Ventura, PM+ à jour, deepl translator

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2012, 03:42:22 AM »

The update check mechanism in PM5 now operates in the background and will only bother you if an update is actually available.  If you then agree to download the update it will still open up a web browser, and that is not likely to change.  But at least you won't be bothered to check only to find out that nothing new is available.

-Kirk
[/quote]

Hi, Kirk
Very good news.
As always, Camera Bits tries very hard to please the customers and makes things easier for the photogs.
Regards,

-Luiz Muzzi