Author Topic: xmp file ingesting separately instead of as part of nef  (Read 6437 times)

Offline NGoff

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
xmp file ingesting separately instead of as part of nef
« on: June 28, 2010, 12:27:49 PM »
Hi!

Don't think I've changed anything in my camera or in Photomechanics! The last few times I've ingested images from a compact flash and card reader using Photomechanics 4.6.3, separate xmp files that belong to each ingested image appear in the folder to which I am ingesting. Sometimes the xmp files appear directly after its image. At other times, the xmp files are all grouped at the end of the images.  I'd prefer these xmp files to remain hidden and contained within the image NEF file.

Also, while downloading, an error message on the Ingest Task window is appears for each image. EXAMPLE BELOW:

Error copying: /Volumes/NIKON D70S/DCIM/100ND70S/DSC_0003.NEF to: /Users/nataliegoff/Desktop/Nef & Jpegs to Photomechanic backups/{Burn Center PIcnic}/DSC_0003.NEF

My computer is an Apple, Power PC G5, with operating system Mac OS 10.4.11. I use Capture NX2 but haven't opened it yet to work with these photos. My camera is a Nikon 70s.

Thank you for your help.
Natalie Goff
burroalley@sbcglobal.net

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: xmp file ingesting separately instead of as part of nef
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 01:01:24 PM »
Natalie,

Don't think I've changed anything in my camera or in Photomechanics! The last few times I've ingested images from a compact flash and card reader using Photomechanics 4.6.3, separate xmp files that belong to each ingested image appear in the folder to which I am ingesting. Sometimes the xmp files appear directly after its image. At other times, the xmp files are all grouped at the end of the images.  I'd prefer these xmp files to remain hidden and contained within the image NEF file.

Also, while downloading, an error message on the Ingest Task window is appears for each image. EXAMPLE BELOW:

Error copying: /Volumes/NIKON D70S/DCIM/100ND70S/DSC_0003.NEF to: /Users/nataliegoff/Desktop/Nef & Jpegs to Photomechanic backups/{Burn Center PIcnic}/DSC_0003.NEF

My computer is an Apple, Power PC G5, with operating system Mac OS 10.4.11. I use Capture NX2 but haven't opened it yet to work with these photos. My camera is a Nikon 70s.

Can you post a screen shot of your IPTC/XMP tab of your Photo Mechanic Preferences dialog?  Use the 'Additional Options...' link while you're composing your reply and there you can upload your JPEG screen shot.

-Kirk

Offline NGoff

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 01:49:50 PM »
Hey, Kirk!

The Grab function on my computer refuses to grab! So, I took a JPEG with my camera of my IPTC/XMP screen.......but it's 3.6mb and too large to send via Additional Options on the Camera Bits Forum website.

Can you send me an email with another address so that I can forward this photo to you?

Thanks,
Natalie Goff
burroalley@sbcglobal.net

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 02:46:17 PM »
Natalie,

The Grab function on my computer refuses to grab! So, I took a JPEG with my camera of my IPTC/XMP screen.......but it's 3.6mb and too large to send via Additional Options on the Camera Bits Forum website.

Can you send me an email with another address so that I can forward this photo to you?

Just open up the folder containing the image in Photo Mechanic.  Select the image.  Use "Save Photos as" to scale it down to a reasonable size.  Then upload it here.

-Kirk

Offline NGoff

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 03:38:06 PM »
Ok, giving that a try!

Natalie

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 03:53:14 PM »
Natalie,

Ok, giving that a try!

Thanks.  A picture is worth a thousand words.

In the Writing section of the IPTC/XMP pane, you're telling PM you want it to only create XMP sidecar files.  You have not instructed it to embed IPTC or IPTC4XMP into your TIFF-based RAW files (NEF is a TIFF-based RAW file format).

All you need to do is turn on the 'Add embedded IPTC' and 'Add embedded IPTC4XMP' checkboxes and then change the popup menu to either of the 'If XMP sidecar files exist...' choices.  Then in the reading section you should change the read order for TIFF-based RAW files to First: Read embedded XMP, Second: Read embedded IPTC and the Third choice will be made for you.

That should stop XMP sidecar files from being created from now on.  You will now be modifying your RAW files when you caption them.  I suspect that you turned off the checkbox 'Allow RAW files (non DNG) to be modified for metadata and image preferences updates' in the Files tab of the Preferences dialog.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline NGoff

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 06:27:21 PM »
Kirk!
Yippee! Thank you so much for your quick help with my problem......PM is working well again! Will surely be keeping your instructions for future reference! I try really hard to "ignore" Preferences, but probably I was searching around one night and inadvertently clicked on something and started a snowball reaction.

Thanks again,
Natalie