Author Topic: Amazon S3 upload path, invalid characters  (Read 4550 times)

mac993

Amazon S3 upload path, invalid characters
« on: December 31, 2009, 05:14:58 AM »
Despite being quite new to Photo Mechanic and only running the trial so far, I'm genuinely excited about the prospect of building my future workflow on PM.  There are two issues I came across, though:

1. On MacOS X 10.6.2, the keyboard shortcuts sometimes behave oddly or do not work at all (at least with a European keyboard).  For example, when no photo is selected in the contact sheet, Cmd-[ and Cmd-] (rotate) highlight the Edit menu even though there is seemingly no command attached; if a photo is selected it works fine.  When in preview mode, however, Cmd-[ and Cmd-] do not work and the rotate menu items are disabled.

2. The upload dialog for Amazon S3 does not allow destination paths with hypens (i.e., "-").  I never had a problem with S3 when using a directory name with hypens so the constraint is not clear to me.

Thanks again for this great product and all the best for 2010.

T.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Amazon S3 upload path, invalid characters
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 10:20:08 AM »
Despite being quite new to Photo Mechanic and only running the trial so far, I'm genuinely excited about the prospect of building my future workflow on PM.  There are two issues I came across, though:

1. On MacOS X 10.6.2, the keyboard shortcuts sometimes behave oddly or do not work at all (at least with a European keyboard).  For example, when no photo is selected in the contact sheet, Cmd-[ and Cmd-] (rotate) highlight the Edit menu even though there is seemingly no command attached; if a photo is selected it works fine.

Hmm.  That doesn't happen to me.  The menu items are disabled, and pressing those keys does not highlight any menu.  It seems odd that the Edit menu is highlighting at all for you since the commands you're referring to are on the Image menu instead of the Edit menu.

Quote from: mac993
When in preview mode, however, Cmd-[ and Cmd-] do not work and the rotate menu items are disabled.

In the Preview window the Command key is not used.  Just press ] and [ instead.

2. The upload dialog for Amazon S3 does not allow destination paths with hypens (i.e., "-").  I never had a problem with S3 when using a directory name with hypens so the constraint is not clear to me.

I'll have to check into that and get back to you.

-Kirk

mac993

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 05:30:28 AM »
Hi Kirk,

first of all thanks a lot for the fast reply.

Hmm.  That doesn't happen to me.  The menu items are disabled, and pressing those keys does not highlight any menu.  It seems odd that the Edit menu is highlighting at all for you since the commands you're referring to are on the Image menu instead of the Edit menu.

Yes, it is quite odd, I agree.  I think this is all related to the me using a European (Swiss) keyboard which has a different layout.

In the Preview window the Command key is not used.  Just press ] and [ instead.

Hm, yes, this works if I use the US keyboard layout.  With my default keyboard layout, [ is Opt-5 and ] is Opt-6, which then does not work again, unfortunately.

Do you maybe consider customisable keyboard shortcuts in the future?  This would allow us with a non-US keyboard to assign shortcuts that work with our respective layouts.

Thanks a lot again and a happy new year to you and the whole team at Camera Bits.  I'll will start 2010 by turning my PM trial into a full version now!

All the best, T.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 03:55:05 PM »

We've fixed the problem.  The fix will appear in the next 4.6.2.2 version (beta or final release).

-Kirk

mac993

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 09:20:39 AM »
Thanks a lot!

Any comments regarding customizable keyboard shortcuts as a feature in the future?

All the best, T.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 10:05:06 AM »
Any comments regarding customizable keyboard shortcuts as a feature in the future?

Yes, it's something we'd like to address in the future.

-Kirk

mac993

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 11:09:31 AM »
Great!  Thanks a lot!

All the best, T.