Author Topic: Random Hanging on Startup  (Read 4984 times)

Offline Anthony Barbatto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Barbatto.com
Random Hanging on Startup
« on: August 09, 2006, 10:27:04 AM »
This is just a random thing I've been noticing and is not specific to 4.4.3.2 but I don't remember it happening in 4.3.8 or earlier. Basically, I'll start PM and the splash screen slowly fades to about 10% opacity then the app just stops responding. Task manager indicates 0 cpu useage and the memory usage remains constant. I've waited several minutes just to see if it comes around but it does not. I can terminate the process, restart PM and all is well. I've never had the app hang consecutively when this happens.

I don't know if other people have reported this or not (my searches didn't locate anything relevent) but just thought I'd mention it. It's not impeding my ability to use PM, just a very minor annoyance that is easily corrected by terminating the process. Unfortunately, I haven't figured out a way to easily reproduce it.

My OS is W2K3 and I'm running with 2gb RAM.

Cheers,
Anthony
« Last Edit: August 09, 2006, 10:28:51 AM by Anthony Barbatto »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Random Hanging on Startup
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2006, 11:50:43 AM »
Anthony,

This is just a random thing I've been noticing and is not specific to 4.4.3.2 but I don't remember it happening in 4.3.8 or earlier. Basically, I'll start PM and the splash screen slowly fades to about 10% opacity then the app just stops responding. Task manager indicates 0 cpu useage and the memory usage remains constant. I've waited several minutes just to see if it comes around but it does not. I can terminate the process, restart PM and all is well. I've never had the app hang consecutively when this happens.

I don't know if other people have reported this or not (my searches didn't locate anything relevent) but just thought I'd mention it. It's not impeding my ability to use PM, just a very minor annoyance that is easily corrected by terminating the process. Unfortunately, I haven't figured out a way to easily reproduce it.

My OS is W2K3 and I'm running with 2gb RAM.

I'll remove the fade out since it causes so many issues (some drivers do alpha blending really slowly, others hang like yours.)

I'll strip it out of the very next version.

-Kirk