Author Topic: Image Processing Sharpening  (Read 2100 times)

Offline Stephane Lacelle

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Image Processing Sharpening
« on: December 31, 2009, 10:43:36 PM »
Hi,

When the sharpen checkbox is activated in the Image Processing portion of various export commands (Upload, Save As, etc.), does PM apply the output sharpening after image resizing? If no resizing is done within PM, does PM somehow know the final size of the image so it can apply proper sharpening values? Can you share the algorithm and values used (eg. is it  Unsharp Mask? Something different?) Is it 'one size fits all' i.e. no difference between outputing for glossy, matte or screen?

Thanks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Image Processing Sharpening
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 12:32:51 AM »
When the sharpen checkbox is activated in the Image Processing portion of various export commands (Upload, Save As, etc.), does PM apply the output sharpening after image resizing?

Sharpening is performed after scaling.

Quote from: ravel03
If no resizing is done within PM, does PM somehow know the final size of the image so it can apply proper sharpening values?

The sharpening parameters do not changed based on image size.  In fact they do not change at all under any circumstances.

Quote from: ravel03
Can you share the algorithm and values used (eg. is it  Unsharp Mask? Something different?) Is it 'one size fits all' i.e. no difference between outputing for glossy, matte or screen?

It is an algorithm that Dennis Walker (President of Camera Bits, Inc.) wrote.  I don't know how it would be characterized.  It is adjustable, but we do not provide any interface for user input to the parameters at this time.

-Kirk